CAMPBELL
Years ago

NBA umpire is taking everyone with him

check out this thread,pretty good read if you love a bit of a flutter! this thing is gonna blow up big time or be swept under the rug...??

anyone reckn this sort of thing could happen in the NBL or AFL?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=expertexplainsNBAbets

Topic #12246 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

It can't be swept under the rug as it's now public knowledge as well as an ongoing FBI investigation.

Anyone want to take bets that the ref gets whacked???? He better join witness protection.

Reply #142862 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Yeh 'Witness Protection'..

I'd steer clear of Diners that sell Onion Rings if I was him.

Reply #142869 | Report this post

Surmdog  
Years ago

C webb knows crew that can do the Job.
That ref got me over the line many times with Bets i wanted to go over 200

Reply #142870 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Whacked, cracked and shilacked.....

Reply #142881 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/238861

Reply #142886 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Found this:

Luckily, thanks to the tremendous work of R.J. Bell of pregame.com, I have some data that supports my point. Bell ran the numbers and found out that in games that Donaghy officiated over the last two years, the over won 57 percent of the time (79 out of 138 games). Now, if all things are equal, the over and the under should come up 50 percent of the time, right? Bell says there's only a five percent chance that the over randomly comes up that much more on that large of a sample.

Now maybe you say to yourself, Donaghy--and the crew that he's with--normally calls a lot of fouls, so that's why the data might be skewed. Except for the fact that in the games that Donaghy officiated in the two years prior (when presumably he wasn't betting), Bell says the over only won 44 percent of the time.

Now let's assume that hitting the over 44 percent of the time was Donaghy's "natural tendency" as a referee over a two-year period. What would be the odds that, in the next two years, games that Donaghy would referee would hit the over 57 percent of the time? Are you ready? 1 in 1000.

Reply #142915 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #142916 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

Isaac,

Without delving too deeply into those statistics, but assuming he reffed the same number of games over the first two years as he did in the last two, i.e. 138.

This would mean to get a 44% achievement, that 61 games would have been affected. This gives a total of 140 out of 276 games, which is 50.7%. Doesn't seem like too much out of whack then does it.

I mean if 57% is too high, doesn't that automatically make 44% too low a number!

Reply #142917 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's the change from 44% to 57% that's concerning I think? Also:

...in games when Donaghy was part of the officiating crew, NBA teams scored more points than Las Vegas expected (hitting the over) 57 percent of the time. With a league average of 49 to 51 percent, the odds of such an occurrence are 19 to 1.

Reply #142921 | Report this post

Really shows what a big issue could have been made of the AFl situation as well as Warne and Waugh with Cricket.

Someone told me the story the other day of what happened in a cricket match. As you can bet on the outcome of every ball , bowler was instructed to "tie his shoelaces" as a signal that the next ball would be delibrately bowled a no ball.

Bowler bends down ties his shoes and trundles in and over steps the line a huge amount.

Umpire does not call no ball as he is on the take from a rival betting syndicate who have told him not to call a no ball after the bowler ties his shoe laces.

Reply #143011 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

If you have half a day, the transcript of Stern's press conference today is here.

Unfortunately, Stern didn't say the following:

Yeah, sure, we'd like to drag him out behind the barn and riddle his sorry ass with sub-machine gunfire.

And if we don't do it, you can bet - pun intended - that others will.

Reply #143027 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754