Isaac
Years ago

No more fouling out?

In 1988, Pete Newell apparently suggested that basketball consider doing away with the concept of players fouling out.

"Basketball is the only team sport I know of where a player can be ejected for a single rule infraction - often a debatable call," Newell said in a 1988 interview. "I would propose that we abolish the foul-out rule. On the sixth foul, a coach can leave his player in, but the seventh foul means two shots and possession for the other team. That's a severe penalty, maybe too severe, but we should find out, then make modifications if necessary. You have to account for a coach leaving a guy in there just to hack somebody. If it really gets bad, the ref should be able to eject or suspend not only the player but the coach for this excessive fouling."
This would stop two quick fouls on a star player early in a game potentially killing the spectacle. It would lessen the opportunities a dodgy referee (flavour of the month!) would have in forcing the outcome of a game.

It'd be a bit of a drastic change and I don't know if I'd necessarily get on board, but I thought it might provoke some talk here.

Pros? Cons? Worth a trial, or just a silly idea?

Topic #12322 | Report this topic

Basket80  
Years ago

might see dougie get some more court time

Reply #143493 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I always thought this was a good idea (but I like the possession arrow).

How's about 7th foul is 1 shot and side ball - 8th foul an after is 2 shots and side ball

Or just up the fouls to 8 instead of 6 ... would this adversly affect the game?

Reply #143494 | Report this post

Years ago

silly idea

Reply #143495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that fouling out after 6 is a good rule. There's not much chance of a player getting 6 bad calls, plus fouling is often a choice rather than accidental contact. If players were unable to foul out, you'd see repeat offenders using fouls to their advantage, plus it would make the game more stop start than it already is. Plus what difference does being a star player make to fouling out? If they get caught out 6 times, bad luck!

Reply #143496 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Geez I wish they had brought this in while I was still playing!!!

Reply #143497 | Report this post

ahh wildcats!  
Years ago

I think its a good idea, make it 5 follows are allowed then on the 6th and upwards its 2 shots and possession. Would definetely change the flow of the game.

Reply #143498 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Two fouls in the opening minutes would have a coach bench many forwards and centres early on. From there, even just picking up fouls at a regular pace would have them back on the bench.

However, leaving foul-prone players out there could slow the game - who likes watching free throws going at end after end for an entire quarter?

Reply #143499 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I think you'd end up with too many fouls for the ref to call. I can imagine players getting burnt off the dribble in the 3rd quarter and just reaching and hacking for their 4th foul, no real consequences if can't foul out.

Sounds good in theory.

Maybe "sin bin" for 10 minutes after 3 fouls? Then get another 3?

Reply #143500 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

You ever watched Netball! Hopefully it wouldn't get like that, the constant whistles drives me nuts, when the wife is watching games on ABC.

You might also see the "advantage" rule used a bit more, because it would actually be an advantage to the offensive team, instead of the guy committing the foul, as it seems to be now.

I always felt it unfair that in a game where there was a limit to number of fouls you could commit, that you could call advantage in certain circumstances. I have seen that cost games where the winning points were scored by a player one foul short of being out of the game and at least one advantage call went his way in the last minute or two of the game.

Reply #143504 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

it's a good idea....but i would love to see it placed in a pre-season match somewhere. But it just doesn't fit in a professional league regular season or playoff game.

Reply #143506 | Report this post

who me  
Years ago

We should employ the 6 foul limit in our comps social inculuded

Reply #143511 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

If it ain't broke don't fix it

Reply #143512 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Saying Basketball is the only sport where you can be ejected for a single rule infringement isn't quite right. Soccer has the card system where in certain tournaments yellow cards accumulate across games and can result in an automatic send off, or suspension for the next game.

The idea of the current system is to discourage fouls by having penalties apply when you reach the limit for team and individual fouls.

If the penalty for fouls after the fifth (or sixth) foul is two shots and possession, the same as the penalty for an unsportsmanlike foul, you're going to see a lot more unsportsmanlike fouls. Guys built like Maher, Hill and Ng are going to be in a lot of trouble in the last quarter as the big guys can keep on hitting them.

One of the great skills in the game is to apply defensive pressure without fouling. I think this would change to "foul as hard as you can without getting sent off" if the rules were changed.

The other advantage of the current system is the penalties apply within the game. AFL/NRL have tribunals and video reviews every week to hand out suspensions for future games. Better to have a penalty that applies in the game where the incident occurs.

Reply #143518 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

"Geez I wish they had brought this in while I was still playing!!!"

Maybe OK for you Panther but I dont think your coach and team mates would appreciate two shots and possession for your opposition every time down the court!

Reply #143520 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Haven't they already implemented this in minor leagues in the US ? Fairly sure ABA, and possibly IBL use it ... Maybe have a look at their games and see how it affected the flow etc.

Reply #143524 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

I dont like the idea. 2 quick fouls in the 1st quarter for a player would puthemon the bench. That way teams cant really target the stars on the opposition team and try and foul them out. All that would happen would be players such as LeBron and Wade scoring more points from free throws and more of a stop start game.

Reply #143530 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sometimes the ref gets it wrong.
But I would prefer it to be left as is. We are going to the line too much as it is.

Reply #143542 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

The basic idea is great. However, the 2 shots + possession should have the same status as a tech. (ie the 2nd = disqualification, to give some protection for the ball carrier against hard fouls ).

Reply #143549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther could make a comeback and stay in the game long enough to get his first triple double of points, rebounds and fouls.

Reply #143551 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

What is the point of having a bench then? NBA players should theoretically all run out a game, you'll end up with a 7 man roster, not rotation.

Reply #143558 | Report this post

stef#4  
Years ago

i think 8 or not fouling out is a bit far. but should be 6 to foul out in all age groups.
Having a rule like this is stupid takes away the reason to be a good defender, the idea was to be able to stop someone from scoring with out fouling

Reply #143582 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

Reply #143589 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

Not sure if change needed but if it was rather than giving 2 shots plus possession what about 1 or points plus possession?

This way you would penalise the excessive fouls but keep the game moving.

Reply #143590 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

$talks that is much more better.
Going to the line too much is boring.

Reply #143598 | Report this post

stef#4  
Years ago

we could try the college idea from foul 6 onwards until 9 unless shooting get a 1 and 1 seems to work for the NCAA

Reply #143607 | Report this post

TytsMagee  
Years ago

What about giving the team who is fouled (by a player who already has 6 fouls) 2 points. Eliminates the stoppage for free throws and would be used less as a tactic ie fouling a poor free throw shooter. and no possession.

Reply #143627 | Report this post

Minn  
Years ago

don't you think giving refs the power to award points to the other team would leave them open for more rubbishing?

not to mention corruption!

it would be fine if reffing was an exact science...

Reply #143667 | Report this post

TytsMagee  
Years ago

No more than it already does. If the player already has 6 fouls they know the risk that they are likely to give away points if they get close to fouling.. at least if you are a gun, you can still contribute (at least on the Offensive end). I would think the power to send someone off is greater?

I would imagine the opposing team would attack any player on 6 fouls in order to get cheap points (just like if they had 5 fouls - trying to get a player fouled out)

Reply #143704 | Report this post

Mute Mal  
Years ago

Reply #143719 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

Dont go messing with our great game. It is going fine as it is. The only thing I would do is get rid of the stupid arrow and go back to ball ups for Nbl & Wnbl only. It works fine in other grades but hate it for NBL.

Reply #144042 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:10 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754