Isaac
Years ago

Boti gets stuck into Goorjian

The golden voices

It's always "injuries", "we were missing some players", "unlucky breaks" et al with Goorjian, which must make predecessors such as Adrian Hurley smile wryly. When Hurley's Boomers lost to Angola in 1986, people were demanding his head.

But those were the days when coaches were real and accountable.

I can see Boti's calendar now: "August 1: Pick a fight with someone."

Didn't realise that Goorjian was so in on the Jason Smith-led religious business, but I can only assume that Boti's final dig is referencing that?

Topic #12327 | Report this topic

DICKO  
Years ago

Yes it sounds like an excuse, but injuries and the unavailability of players must play a part in some of this (and smyth's tenure as well).

Barnes had Heal, Gaze, Vlahov, Ronaldson and Bradtke with Dorge, a young Sam Mack etc in supporting roles.

Our recent teams are not at that level.

Now....If we could get Bogut, Anstey, Newley, Anderson, Neilsen, EVERYONE playing at once, I beileve that the Boomers would be awesome. No matter who the coach is (within reason).

The recent form of Pat Mills is very encouraging with the lack of reliable Aussie PG being a problem for years as well.

Reply #143603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Botis article said alot without saying anything. It was full of crap, inuendo and diatribe. Basically he was having a go at professional coaches who had good communicition skills , good with the media were full of it. What does he want a coach that doesnt communicate and not good with the media?

Reply #143606 | Report this post

Shooter27  
Years ago

Who really cares what Boti has to say anyway... He's not well respected within the basketball arena. He thinks he is bigger than the game, and has no respect for players, coaches, officials, or the game itself...

Maybe time for Boti to try another career, we all know the coaching stint didn't go too well

Reply #143614 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Okay...hypothetical..

If boy goorj gets the arse, who would you like to see coaching the Boomers..

Phil is out (god plenty of posters here don't want him to coach the 36ers)
Joyce? (personally no)
Black?
Wright? (don't rate him myself)
Fisher?
Stacker seems to have a good rapport with the youngsters, Whestoff seems to be a good motivating coach..

Who is at the AIS coaching now??

Reply #143617 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Isaac, I think it's a long bow you draw re the final reference.

I'm guessing Boti would argue it was bringing the piece full-circle - he talks of 'evangelists' in the opening line, hence the 'amen' type finish - but to me it's pretty lame when you issue both the call and response.

I personally assumed that that final reference was a self-congratulatory 'Damn, I just nailed that piece'. The 'brother' was himself.

FWIW I wouldn't mind just a tad more constructive and/or balanced criticism. What realistic options does Boti think we have other than Goorjian? Didn't we achieve our best results under another Boti favourite Barry Barnes - a couple of fourths at the Olympics and maybe a fifth at a World Champs (happy to be corrected on those)? Could an argument be mounted that Phil Smyth is just as accomplished a media performer as Boy Goorj?

Reply #143621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You live and die as a coach by your teams performance.
The Current Coach Brain Truss of goorj and joyce ain't enough to get us there.
were half way with a overseas born coach.

Why not go the way like socccer and get our dutch equivalent of Basketball.

Maybe suddenly Bogut and others will play?

Reply #143628 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol Westoff...

Westover..

Reply #143632 | Report this post

roadrunner  
Years ago

Does anyone know if big Luke is getting any court time at all?
sure Andersen is a huge gun, and Sammy Mac is in form, but is he really a power forward? does anyone know where there are stats for the current games?

I suspect Boti knows a tiny winy bit more, but hey that's our Boti.

Reply #143637 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The Boomers are not an indication of the best talent Australia has when so many of them won't play. The problem is money being made overseas takes priority over pride of your country. The clubs they play for overseas won't give them time off to represent their country because who really gives a toss about Australia unless you are Australian. Putting together a national team in any sport will always be a problem when it involves professionals who make a living from their sport. People are quick to blame the coach if his team does not succeed, but at the same time won't give him credit for doing a good job when he has a talented team. I am not a Goorjian fan but at the same time I don't have a problem with him either, but surely he has a point when you look at all the players that won't make a commitment. He definitely has not got the best team he could have.

Reply #143647 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

But when he has had the best team available, he has not done much..

Reply #143656 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bo, your point about Smyth is interesting. I read the first few paragraphs of the article thinking Boti was writing about Phil.

Not sure about the Goorj and religious references - just wouldn't surprise me as a few of the Kings are big on that kinda thing.

Reply #143662 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Stacker - no
Joyce - no
Black - would be a good option
Clarke - very good
Beveridge - down the track
McLeod - possible

Reply #143677 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Religious fervour took a hold in the NBL in the early nineties. Hobart had a chaplain (even before Darren Smith donned the shirt)as did the Victorian clubs (inc. Goorg's). Guessing that it was an American "borrow" - going into battle with god on your side. Not sure howevever, how may combatants were of true religious belief.
Smith - Jason has been reported as religion before all, including his family.

Boti would be well aware of B.G.'s commitment to religion / faith / spiritual calling and may have been strongly suggesting that in the end, wins are the real measuring stick in b'ball. If these cant be delivered then another calling should go to Brian.

Reply #143698 | Report this post

Mute Mal  
Years ago

Reply #143718 | Report this post

the ghost  
Years ago

Well some of you guys have short memories i was talking to the great Andrew Gaze last week in Melbourne and he said Smyth was shafted big time by baketball Australia.Just a quick fact he had 1 player from the 2000 Olympic team to go against New Zealand who Andrew said they were lucky to beat prior to the Olympics in fact he said they were single figure wins.He also pointed out that the teah that beat the Aussies went on to finish 4th at the world championships better than Australia has ever done.Smyth copped an absolute bagging from the eastern states media which attacked him with venom not once did he come out and blame the players i havent been a Smyth fan but after spending time with Gaze and listening to him i have a different view.He says Smyth is rated by most in the know as the best coach he just doesnt try to sell himself like some do.

Reply #143802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares what boti has to say. By the time you take the crap out and leave the facts in you might as well have a one-paragraph article.

Reply #143818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boti is da man both as a journalist and as a basketball coach, he should be coaching the Boomers

Reply #143819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ghost, at the time we lost to NZ Gaze came out and said it was a disgrace and the worst possible thing that could happen to this sport. I doubt he is a fan of Smyths, who won't get another crack at it.

Reply #144046 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754