Kent Brockman
Years ago

If you were Brad Newley what would you do if

You have just been told by the NBA team that drafted you to go back work on this and that part of your game and see what happens next year.

You come home to Adelaide, the home court is being refitted to be the best in Australia, recruiting for the other spots sees you being part of a squad that has a real shot at the title.

The new owner had said its your team when Brett retires, you have the chance to be the home town hero regardless of what happens with the NBA for the next 10 years.

You start preseason traing and the vibe and chemistry feel great until

Euro team sakjdfjhfwehf city knocks on the door and says you are just waht we are looking for and here is a million dollar contract for you to play with us right now.

Do you stay with the home team knowing that if all else fails you wil be the man or do you take the money now and run to europe with your suitcase?

Topic #12397 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would go to Europe for the money and the experience. I have already played in the NBA and would want the new experience from playing in the 2nd best league in the world. But it wouldn't just be for the money, I would want to improve my game as much as possible.

Reply #144228 | Report this post

Brad  
Years ago

I would take the money.. Home town heros are good but they dont pay the bills when you are 50 and retired...

Reply #144229 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

You would go to Europe for sure.
for a few years.
There will be a lot of changes here.

Reply #144233 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'm staying put for the season in Adelaide. Winning the championship (fingers crossed), having a great run a league MVP and NBL 1st team, and then heading to the Olympics and tearing everyone a new bunghole on the international circuit getting exposure.

If that goes to plan then take my championship, MVP trophy, NBL 1st team trophy and good Olympics and then heading back to the Rockets and strutting my stuff. If no luck then, the heading to Europe.

One season won't break the bank, but an excellent season here in the NBL may change that 1000000 to a 2000000 on the cheque in Europe.

Also depends on which team is asking and what sort of dollars they would ask for a buy-out.

Reply #144234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah, if he stays here he will be broke in no time at all.

How will he feed himself earning $4,000 (200k/yr) a week?

Reply #144235 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I'd google "sakjdfjhfwehf city" first

Reply #144244 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

"yeah, if he stays here he will be broke in no time at all.

How will he feed himself earning $4,000 (200k/yr) a week?"

are you serious ? and by your logic, if you can live on a certain wage, you should never try to get a higher paying, better job, that will improve your skills ?! that's ridiculous !

Reply #144245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Addelaide is but a small festering pimple on the butt end of the world, especially when it comes to basketball and soccer or other true international sports.

Go earn all you can, also to improve your game before that catastrophic knee recon happens, shoulder damaged beyond repair, or worse still, some woman says, you are never home and are always training or playing. Nag, nag, nag!

Run man , run! You have a short income earning life in the sport you love so use it now while you can. Get the $$s and focus on what you need to do to reach your dream!!

The 36ers will always take you past 35/40yo anyways!!

Reply #144246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melvin, grow a brain. By your logic, getting paid the most in the shortest time possible is the only goal.

Reply #144247 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Anon, if someone offered you (at least) 5x the amount of money you were on, and it also meant that you would see a significant improvment in your skills, you wouldn't take it?

And for an athlete, making the most amount of money in the shortest time IS the goal, considering that you only have 10-15 at this level, maybe even less.

Reply #144248 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

Start a fight with Charles Barkley that would be the ticket to the show

Reply #144249 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Edit: That last bit should say '10-15 YEARS'.

Reply #144251 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

I would stay in Adelaide as i am guarenteed court time here and in Europe you never know what might happen after a bad game.

Reply #144255 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

re: 144247 . No, i'm not saying it's the ONLY goal (though, as we all know "Greed is good"), what I'm saying is that MOST people have some kind of desire to progress, improve, and be rewarded for that progression/improvement AND the potential to improve more. But hey, if you're happy to find your niche and camp there for the next 45 years, letting those with goals pass you by, then feel free.
Unfortunately, as 24 stated, professional athletes don't really have the luxury of taking time to make money, as they all have a relatively short time in the limelight.

Reply #144258 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Definitely go to Europe. Higher level of basketball, more money, and (above all) the more you see of Europe the better!

Reply #144262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should retire so this question does not get asked again.

Reply #144263 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I would stay home for a year, go to the NBA or Europe for a few years and do a Martin Cattalini (except staying in Adelaide :P)

Reply #144269 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I'm with Isaac. Piss off to Europe.........

Reply #144270 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I googled "sakjdfjhfwehf city" MW ... you know what I found ... nothing!

Therefore, he is playing for the Sixers in 07.

Reply #144279 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think it is more than just money, you have to consider:

- Sure he'll be earning a lot more money, but the cost of living will be a hell of a lot higher too and his endorsements in Europe might not be as forthcoming as they are here;

- he has family and friends here. That has to make a big difference;

- Phil's style of play will give him the opportunity to play the game he wants to play. Defensively, I'm sure Phil would also bee open to him guarding the best players which will improve his defence a lot. In Europe each team would have at least a couple of defensive stoppers and play a very team oriented basketball (generally;

- no language barriers;

- Probably more time for individual sessions in Adelaide to improve his game.

Tough call, but I don't think Adelaide is such a bad idea.

Reply #144281 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"How will he feed himself earning $4,000 (200k/yr) a week?"

Isaac manages.

Reply #144282 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

MW and The Hamma...gold!!

Personally, I would go for a year and take the cash.

Boti has a good point in the paper today in that if you go to Europe as an import and struggle, Houston may not want you any more, so why not stay here, dominate and then go to the NBA.

Reply #144283 | Report this post

Reply #144286 | Report this post

There is every chance that he could go Euro and end up sitting on a bench or getting caught up in club politics and so on.

That would do nothing to help his NBA cause.

He has been scouted out of the NBL and International performances and so should put the things the Houston coaches have told him into practice here and elevate his game.

A kick arse NBL season and a great Olympics will open up more opportunities internationally IMHO

Reply #144287 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

If it works out he's not good enough to play in Europe then he's not good enough to make it in the NBA. The thought that hiding here in our NBL then magically arriving on the the NBA scene is the better option is delusional. Go to Europe and do well and now you're CV has some clout. Whether our NBL is as good as some Euro leagues or not is not the question. It is all about perception and anything 'Euro' at the moment is flavour of the month with the NBA.

Reply #144289 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I disagree Izzy plenty of players have now made the NBA without following the Euro or even College path.

Heal was in Euro i beleive until the game against the dream team and that is what got him in the NBA, not being in Europe as an import

Ginobli was tearing up Argentina and was scouted.

Yao was simply a tall bugger who could run and catch with the ability to sell millions of singlets and hats.

Do well as a worlds or Olympics and that is enough to get you a deal. Look at the Litho guys who got deals after almost smoking the US in Sydney.

Timing, being in the right place at the right time is what the NBA is about.

As a fan of Brad and a fan of the sixers i hope he stays here and then makes it on the back of Beijing.

Reply #144293 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Plus, he has been scouted and drafted whilst playing here, I am sure that is good enough on his CV.
Not a matter of hiding in the NBL, more a matter of he knows he will have opportunities here, whereas his role in Europe would be a bit of unknown.

Reply #144294 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

(Ginobili was playing in Italy but your argument is not wrong).

Reply #144302 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

It's all about improvement at the moment for Brad. He neeeeds to be stretched, he neeeeds to be challenged and if it was any other NBL team other than Smyth's this may be possible. He couldn't have come back to a more cushy unchallenging environment than what he has. He's an Adelaide boy so I can understand his reasons for choosing Adelaide, but do you really think this is the best program to improve your game? You don't know what you don't know, so unless he explores a Euro league which is better than our NBL I fear in years to come he'll regret it. Yes it is about right place right time but surely NOW is the right time. Just after NBA training camps whilst your name is still at the forefront of everyones mind has to be better than after one or two years in the relative obscurity of the NBL. If it came down to two players of equal ability, Brad and player X for that last NBA roster spot who would you choose? Player X who has been plying his trade in Europe or Brad who has been playing in the NBL? Hypothetical I know but as has been said, perception does count. Hell, you only need to look at Shane Heal and how he got to the NBA to see that.

Reply #144304 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

There are no language barriers at sakjdfjhfwehf city, they speak 'strine'.

Reply #144305 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

What about the fact that he will have someone who has played in his position in the NBA as a team mate?

I am sure Copes would be forthcoming in hints and help as to what he could work on as well.

Cant say that for Europe necesarily

Reply #144309 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Dicko, i think you will find Isaac, does not manage on $400,000 fuel for the Ferrari alone sucks up 20% of that, from his statements about seeing Europe, clearly his world travels suck up another % (no wonder he is making his fortune from internet based products, they can be managed from anywhere in the world)

I can only assume the 400k is the stated amount...but..the multi level endorsements and brown bags cover the "play money".

oh, and just for the hell of it if i were Brad, i would take the opportunity, the cash..and the experience. the 36ers will always be here. (i hope)

Reply #144311 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

I'll say it again.....if you can't play in Europe as an import them you aren't good enough to play in the NBA. Boti's 'you better not try in case you fail' arguement in todays paper is simply a crock of shit and a feeble attempt to get Brad to stay. I'm sure Arthur and Brad love to take Boti's recommendations on board - not! If Brad is serious, and i mean really serious about making it into the NBA then he already knows that Europe is the right path.

Reply #144312 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Izzy so by the argument if you are not good enough to be a Sydney King import you are not good enough to be a starter in the NBA?

Reply #144319 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol Kent.

Izzy, it is not always about being good enough to be an import in Europe, more so, what if the team dynamics are not right and Brad ends up sitting more than playing.
Sure he gets a payday, but would he get an NBA gig?

Reply #144322 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

If he's not good enough to play in Europe then why would they give him a gig in the NBA? Pretty simple equation if you ask me.

Reply #144324 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm with Izzy - Europe. More money, better life experience, higher standard of competition. Miss your friends and family? Fly them over with some spare cash.

If he's good enough to make the NBA, he will - you can't bet on those little "Heal got in a fight with Charles Barkley" things.

Reply #144329 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Brad change your name to "the anwser" send out a search party and locate the answer.

As Bob says, it'll be blowing in the wind.

Reply #144336 | Report this post

Sir Swish  
Years ago

Isaac.....it sounds like you dont want Brad to play here, jusging by your arguments? Does that mean your happy with the players suggested in the back up plan?

Reply #144338 | Report this post

MC  
Years ago

lockstock -
Cost of living higher? Try *free* - they board and feed all their players.

Reply #144348 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I just answered the question: "If you were Brad Newley..." etc. I'm not answering it from the perspective of what I hope happens!

Adelaide is Adelaide. It's nice enough, but sometimes the "glorified country town" comments aren't so far off the mark. Europe has centuries of history, incredible sights and is an amazing experience.

Reply #144349 | Report this post

Sir Swish  
Years ago

Fair enough Isaac........but I cant see why Brad cant visit Europe once his Ball career comes to an end? He needs to do what is best for his basketball career right now and play in whatever league is going to help him improve and get him into the NBA? Id say if he got drafted from playing in the NBL the Rockets beleive he can progress in the NBL, just my opinion but I guess time will tell!!

Reply #144357 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So, Europe potentially offers more money, a stronger competition, and a great location.

On Adelaide's side are some suggesting that the NBL presents a better chance for him to improve.

(To others: Remember that Newley has already been drafted. He's going back next year - this question just comes down to him developing his game. So, forget about Heal and co.)

Now, to development: In Adelaide, Newley will be scrimmaging against Lanard Copeland in his final year, Brett Maher (if he's healthy) as he's winding down, Darren Ng and Mike Chappell. Will he improve playing against weaker teammates and opposition than in Europe? Under a coach known for very comfortable and hands-off trainings with limited personal instruction? All this when he most likely needs to be working against much quicker players?

Reply #144362 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

hmm .. when Jordan was making his comeback, he started out playing some 5 on 5 at UNC (to get back his conditioning etc), then when he felt he become too easy, he changed it to 4 on 5, then 3 on 5, until he was playing full court 2 on 5 before spending the last few day 1 on 5. Maybe that's an option to develop newls - i'm sure you could find a fairly decent 5 to play against him at 6ers training ...

Reply #144363 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

afterthought: you might even be able to get Harold Miner to come and have a run ...

Reply #144364 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Melvin - interesting fact about Jordan - I didn't know that (and am disgusted that I did not)

Reply #144411 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Yeah , but who does inbound the ball to .

Reply #144412 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

As a different question, if Newley has to go over as an "import" would many, if any teams look at him for that vital position? He would be competing with players who have had NBA experiance and are fringe players. Has Brad even had any offers as yet?

Reply #144425 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

simple: he inbounds if off the defensive player's face every time .. he he . saw 52cans do the infamous "inbound off players butt and easy layup" in a div1 game last week ...

Reply #144444 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

nice call corpuscle

Reply #144450 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I think if he gets a good enough deal from a Euro team, and knows he is going to play a decent role, than he should take it. It's not about looking good statistically any more, it's about getting better.

If he plays in a tougher league, that will help him in his NBA aspirations more than 'hiding out', as some have put, playing for the 36ers. Even if he doesn't put up big numbers, the only thing he has to worry about for now is how he goes in Summer League next year. I really don't think Houston would care if he puts 25 ppg here or 15ppg in Europe, just as long as he becomes good enough to compete in the NBA.

Kent, Manu was drafted and shipped off to Europe for a couple of years before he made it into the NBA.

Reply #144480 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

If the money was the same there would still be a pretty decent case for taking the Euro option, if it's 6 times as much then it's a no brainer.

Reply #144548 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

imagine you are Newley...

6 times as much...no brainer
5 times as much...no brainer
4 times as much...no brainer
3 times as much...no brainer
even
twice as much, still a no brainer,

The 36ers (or pretty much any NBL club)will take you on when you return if you dont make NBL. I would love to have Newley playing for the 36ers, however its his life, future and career, hes gotta make the most sensible choice.

Reply #144803 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:03 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754