cavolo
Years ago

ABL Grand Final Thread

Hi all - am interstate so can't make what will be the game of the year.

If someone is at the game and online, please feel free to post updates.

For all who attend, please let us know your thoughts on the plays of the game, who stepped up, who should've but didn't and any other exciting news from the night.

Topic #12425 | Report this topic

foxy22  
Years ago

7min to go and nwd men are 12 down.
getting exciting.
West beat Nwd women by 20. great game.

Reply #144604 | Report this post

foxy22  
Years ago

1 min to go.
north by 10.

Reply #144605 | Report this post

LJ  
Years ago

West Women

and north men

Reply #144606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood men could not buy a basket, good game though.

Reply #144607 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The game was a yawn fest, Norwood mixed missed shots with terrible turnovers.

North did what they could to let them back in the game.

After seeing the other games between these two this season i was expecting a much better standard of game at both ends.

Norwoods bench was the most entertaing part of the game.

Reply #144609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how was the dome looking?

Reply #144610 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

Dome floor looks great, didnt take much notice of other upgrades...

the game was disapointing, NWD's shot selection was woeful, seemed to get scared of taking the 3 after missing early shots, Thommo played well and cooper was useful but toddy and webber didnt seem to want to take the outside shot, even when they got an open look, which wasnt very often i must admit, as north extended their defence outside the 3 point arc.
Bad luck boys...You have been great to watch this year...Have to go one better next year!!!

Reply #144611 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

oh....one other thing

Anyone know why Ryan Kersten didnt see any minutes tonight?

Seemed a bit strange!

Reply #144612 | Report this post

Leopard 49  
Years ago

what are the other upgrades?

Reply #144613 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Thanks 4th spazzy - would have loved to have been there as you know, but stuck here in Darwin until Weds as you know

Reply #144614 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

check out this thread

http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/12422/

Reply #144615 | Report this post

POTW Selector  
Years ago

Ryan Kersten DNP-Coaches Decision

There was nothing wrong with him.

Also saw a sign that was made up (would have cost a bit to get made) that read "No. 5 Todd Matthews The Real MVP"

If that was the case than the MVP got shut down by Eric Burdon who I had never recognised for his defence until tonight.

As for Sapwell (Coach of the Year), he went missing tonight. Had no answer for Dusty and Zorich. Had no answer for the amount of threes they shot when they were clearly having an off night.

Thompson was useful and did not see the ball nearly enough. Cooper had a great second half.

Norwood Best
Cooper, Thompson, Papendiek (Spelling)

North Best
Zorich, Dusty, Rowe

Not sure about Dusty receiving the MVP even though he had 25 pts. I thought Zorich 12pts, 12rbs, 7ast was a much more worthy MVP.

North just game out harder in the first half. Who would have thought at the start of the ame that North would be up by 20 at the half. Good fight back by Norwood. They were much more aggressive to the ring at the start of the second half but fell back into shooting the three too often.

Allstar 5 of the Game
PG - Zorich (Rockets)
SG - Rowe (Rockets)
SF - Thompson (Flames)
PF - Rychart (Rockets)
C - Cooper (Flames)

Just my opinion of the game.

Reply #144616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what were the refs like in the mens game?
did Haines and Filmer have to carry Haebich...

Reply #144618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shulller had the game plan to get it done, was iumpressive!

Reply #144621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

webber played way to many minutes,he had no impact on game at all.but daddy is the coach.

Reply #144625 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

have to agree both teams made some poor choices in offence and missed shots and game was there for Norwood to win when they closed to within 10? and things got emotional and North were starting to get rattled. Was that Norths usual substitution pattern?
Neither team looked in sync. Finals pressure? On a few offences Norwood ran reasonable offence and put up open shots that rimmed out. Couldnt understand when norwood clearly needed to hit 3s and make stops they seemed to go inside. On the night North were the better finishers and winners. good crowd-how many?

Reply #144627 | Report this post

no good  
Years ago

Wow what a blow out. The score line really did flatter the flames. They were terrible! Poor shot selection all night, bad turnovers, no defence.

It really did look like the occassion was a bit too much for some of the flames tonight. Webber, especially looked like a Dear in headlights. serves him right for being a dickhead his whole life. Serves Norwood right for acting the way they did at the Woolacott...drinking and carrying on like they had already won the thing...not to mention going out drinking and getting into brawls during the finals series.

The occasion too was a bit much for Sapwell. You could tell by looking at him that he had no answers. Would loved to have heard his half time talk. Norwood actually looked like they didn't have any offence. They just passed it around with very little movement,barely went inside, they got no penetration which you have to give credit to the rockets for that, and if it wasn't for some mid range play from Cooper and some random post work from Thompson, the Flames would have been down by 40 at three quarter time instead of 19. They really were embarrassing. At least the Eagles went down playing pretty good basketball having scored 106 points last week...The Flames were kept to not much more than 70 last night!

Well done Rockets. They needed the likes of Zorich, Rowe, L. Burdon and Hambour to step up and thats what happened. Wasn't sure if they could play that well away from Hillcrest but it was obviously not that much of a challenge for them. Norwood, maybe need to sit back and have a look at yourselves...your attitude and mind set of some of your players is just not where it needs to be. Maybe less noise, more concentration!

Reply #144636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

POTW,

Todd Matthews has been the person North has had problems with containing during previous encounters. Erik's job on him, in my opinion, was the catalyst for the victory. Eric in front of Tom for the allstar 5 IMO. Norwoods problem's were compunded by Webber going missing in action.

Interesting stats to half time when the game was virtually all over.

Shooting % North 50% - Norwood 25%
Turnovers - North 3 - Norwood 13

Can't win GF's with stats like that.

Reply #144639 | Report this post

Stadium Monkey  
Years ago

I went for the womens game only, had other committments which meant couldnt stay for the mens game.

However....Norwood fans - why do you make it so easy for me to pick on you??????????????????????????

Brawling between yourselves in the stands just as the game starts, are you serious????

Think of the families that were there, I could petrified kids who were caught in the middle of your bullshit behaviour.

Time for the powers that be to get serious and start penalising clubs who cant get their fans to behave.

Then again with what I witnessed in the Port Adelaide stadium some weeks ago, and reports of North players brawling in public, and behaviour at the Woolacott, well it really is no surprise.

Is Norwood the new Sturt?????

Reply #144644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

norwood drinking at the woolacott?? r u serious?? honestly get a life. i believe the girls drank at the woolacott but the men did not!! ur just another jealous norwood knocker. get a life mate!

Reply #144649 | Report this post

no good  
Years ago

Norwood men were definately drinking at the Woolacott.

Reply #144652 | Report this post

Stadium Monkey  
Years ago

Jealous??

Of what?? Mums demanding their money back after a game? Brawls between same club fans at a grand final? Brawls involving a mens team? Choking in 2 grand finals?

Yeah, I'm jealous. I'm not a Norwood hater, always thought they were a good club, but it looks like they have beleived their own hype this year, and IMO, have become the club to despise, hence my comment of being the new Sturt.

I just call the bananas as I see them up here in the rafters

Reply #144653 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

can anyone fill me in on the womens game?? who playd well? who didnt perform?

Reply #144656 | Report this post

Sir Charles  
Years ago

Does anyone know the attendance number?

Reply #144660 | Report this post

Yaoza  
Years ago

Good question anon, not Stadium Monkey. It seems to want to comment on everything but the game. Let it go. Anyone else care to post on the games would love to read it.

Reply #144662 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Woosnam 22points and MVP.
Mahoney 14, Jenner 10. whilst Coleman and Sourlatzis guarded out Norwood (Frysters 13, Romeo 11).

Reply #144664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is my understanding that the fight which broke out had nothing to do with Norwood fans

Reply #144679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a bunch of west supporters that were brawling.

North played the better game, did their research and knew what needed to be done to win the game. Congratulations for them for doing that.

No good, you are what your name suggests along with being a complete and utter f*ckin wanker.

Reply #144742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of people have said "No Dusty, No North" but on Saturday it was a case of "No Matthews, No Norwood"

Whilst Matthews busted his arse all game he was always up against two or three north guys. When did manage to find his open team mates they couldn't help. Krause, Ottey and Webber were all MIA and didn't do enough of the little things to get themselves involved. With the attention they gave Matthews North basically said to Norwood "Let's make sure Matthews doesn't beat us, if the others are good enough to do it then so be it." They weren't.

Reply #144748 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Krause is always MIA , upstairs that is ..

Reply #144749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously Dusty is a great player and had a big influence on the game but I think the loss can be linked back to the performance of the starting guards and the coaches tactics to minimise the strength of the opposition especially Justin v Todd Matthews

From the stats when adding up the performance of the starting guards - North guards first

Minutes: 85 84
TO: 2 11
ST: 7 1
Ass: 10 11
Shooting 11/30 7/31
IdxSuc 36 7

Don't understate the importance of Zorich and Burdon in this win

Reply #144773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The women's game must have been a non event i guess by reading little to no comments about their game.

Reply #144840 | Report this post

Stadium Monkey  
Years ago

The brawlers were NOT West fans, they were sitting surrounded by Norwood people.

The people involved have not been seen at a West game all season. I see all from my monkey bars.

As far as the gamne, Sam was well deserved MVP. Lisa Coleman did an awesome defensive job, and Jess Mahoney played a great game.

Romeo seemed to play almost a lone hand, and at times looked frustrated by it.

Fryters gave some back up, not much else from the Norwood girls. By the 3rd quarter they just lacked any sort of intensity you would expect to be shown in a Grand Final.

Reply #144846 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754