hope not
Years ago

Div 3/4/5. To stay or go?

Any comments (or anyone in the know) on the possibility that the top clubs are contemplating retaining only the elite Div 1 and 2's and that Div 3/4/5 will be amalgamated into social/Church basketball?.

Topic #12469 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

I am not in the know.
comment; I don't think that it;s likely to happen.

Reply #145121 | Report this post

where'd you get your info from???

Nothing in my circle.

Reply #145125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

never. why would the clubs remove that source of income?

Reply #145129 | Report this post

anonomyous  
Years ago

pickles your obviously not in the loop

Reply #145131 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Looks like it IS on the cards but if it will happen by Summer season depends on how BSA gets moving. Talk is 3, 4 and 5 playing regionally against country and may not be necessarily on a Sat arvo.

Reply #145134 | Report this post

get rid of them i say, especially the div 3 mens league

Reply #145141 | Report this post

Mahatma Cote  
Years ago

ELG - Why are you dirty on Div 3 mens league ?

Reply #145157 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

hey ELG where would you play them - heard you dont wont to play with the big boys

Reply #145160 | Report this post

Hughpoo  
Years ago

With my study commitments I can bearly train once a week, but make it out when I can and love playing, even though it is only div 5 for my club;the same club I have played for for the last 5 years.

If they want to change us over to a different comp, fine; however I am hard justifiying my time now, so I would pull out all together.

What a stupid, stupid idea!

Reply #145164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are we talking juniors, seniors or both?

Reply #145181 | Report this post

so much hate on this forum

Seems a bit unfair for div 3 players on the cusp of cracking div 2, suddenly to be thrust into a social ball comp. And not to mention the loss of income for an already struggling organisation

(mahatma cote i play div 3 men)

Reply #145188 | Report this post

Mahatma Cote  
Years ago

Are you too old to play juniors or not good enough for seniors, not being a tool but if your good enough they usually would bring players through that are deserving of a spot. or is it a case of different strokes at some clubs.

Reply #145194 | Report this post

hope not  
Years ago

Probably juniors. It is a bit hard to imagine clubs giving up revenue from Div 3 down, also how would they manage it when a 1st year Div 3 becomes a possible 2nd year Div 2?
Unfortunatly some clubs have so much depth/players it is hard for a really good Div 3 player to progress. I am sure they do not like holding kids back but sometimes they have no choice. Also kids develop at different ages and some just go to other sports. Div 3 should always remain part of district competition.
Div 1 and 2 are always guaranteed coaches though! Would BASA allow some of the bigger clubs to field two Div 1 teams, as well as two Div 2's!!?

Reply #145231 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

for juniors dont get rid of div 3,4,5, keep them, let the kids have fun anyway. no dv 3,4,5 means more in a team, and for those people who complain about no court time, this will only get worse.
keep div 3,4,5 i say, for seniors its more of a social anyway

Reply #145248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A regionalised comp for Div 3 and below and elite, district comp for Div 1 / 2 would be great.

Don't think of the regionlised comp as social it would be somewhere in between social and district. It just means that you cater better for those in Div 3/4/5 who dont like to travel hours to get to a game. Good players in Div 3 and below are still involved with District clubs and can still move into Div 1 / 2 just as they do now.

I cant see what's wrong with it to be honest. Its good for everyone.

Reply #145249 | Report this post

who travels hours to get to a game?

Reply #145268 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

what about clubs like magic, cougars and rattlers will they dispan or would they be able to compete just at social level.

how would centrals and mavs go when not competeing in the div 1 level, would another club be able to fill the void with a second team to strengthen the comp?

Reply #145269 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I don't think the powers that be have understood the problem. In some areas, every available court is in constant use weeknights & over the weekend. If you want to increase participation, you'll have to build more courts.

Having a regional comp actually makes the problem worse, as it serves to exaggerate any local shortage or surplus of courts.

Reply #145282 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

I think they should go back to social basketball where they from. Most are just that social teams that came into clubs because it is more organized. There is no need for the lower div's at all.

Reply #145289 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

If it's juniors you're talking about, you need lower divs for financial reasons, and to cater for late developers. Remember that Tim Brenton played 14 div 5 , and look where he ended up. Also, and most importantly, kids want to belong to a club and play with their mates.
If it's seniors, you still need div 3 as a feeder for young kids with potential who are not ready for div1 & 2. Div 4 & 5 are social ball anyway so it comes down to whether people want to be involved with an organised club or not.

Reply #145290 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

The other question is , would the competition be better if it were changed? My opinion is that change for the sake of change rarely gains anything, and wastes time and money to implement.

Reply #145291 | Report this post

oracle  
Years ago

it will stay - whilst people pay their fees , roll up for a game - why play with something that isn't broke???

district is not all elite

there is a pretty good mavs unit kicking around in div 3 at present!

Reply #145327 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I seem to recall district was div.1&2 and mostly church/social in regions !

Reply #145333 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

to see the potential impact, have a close look at the City South league that Sturt and Forestville created. Essentially, rather than have a second training, Div 4/5 players played a second game on sunday arvos (and players not quite ready for div 5 were slotted in here to develop). In early days it was a little lacking, and seemed to fall a fair way behind the district level very quickly. Not sure how it's developed recently - but could have a look at it to gauge possible impact if we were to get rid of div 3/4/5. Personally, I can see no benefit to scrapping the lower divs. Having them there makes it easier to watch the lower kids develop etc.

Reply #145340 | Report this post

ok  
Years ago

I understand that City South is poorly managed and underdeveloped. Most of the kids I know in Div3 and below would be horrified to be included in this style of program.
My Div 3 youngster absolutely loves district basketball as do all of her teammates. I guess District gives them a sense of importance even though the clubs really only like to support their elite. Maybe one day they will be "elite" too or a least valued.I think BSA needs to retain Div 3at least.

Reply #145380 | Report this post

SAD  
Years ago

There is no plan to get rid of div 3,4 and 5.....these players are vital to the game and if anything the plans are to develop and make this competition stronger.
Regional comps are not going to reduce the standard, infact it will increase the standard by introducing more players, more competition. The only plans being discussed are looking at ways to reduce the travel and cost of playing. The lower division competition will always be there, the current plans will add more players below it, that part of the competition may possibly be operated in a different format

Reply #145384 | Report this post

SAD  
Years ago

City South is not designed to replace div 3, 4 and 5. It is offering a competition for people who do not want the full on structure of district basketball.
Yes lower division teams were used to get it going, but it has all but evolved past that.
It is now attracting players like private school children whocannot commit to Saturday mornings.
City South needs more clubs to get involved other than Forestville and Sturt.

Reply #145386 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

Is it another of BSA great initiatives or just bulls..t spilling from some "elitists" mouths? Juniors love the idea of belonging to a Club. Some of them develop later then others and taking them out of the Club environment would mean loosing these kids to the sport all together. Having lower divisions also adds to the pressure for the chosen ones in div 1 and 2 (some of them only being there by "accident"  I leave it there) and ensures that the standard and some gauging is maintained and there is a ready to pick from pool if talents are spotted.

Reply #145387 | Report this post

SAD  
Years ago

They will always be part of the Clubs, can I suggest rather than jumping to a whole lot assumptions, we wait and look at what is proposed when it is proposed.
Yes there is a lot of discussion going on with a lot of different ideas for the future. All of the concepts are focused on getting more people playing the game.....no one is talking about reducing the standard of what we have

Reply #145389 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

SAD its on the table NOW! And 3/4/5 will be as stated if the new board gets its way. And the clubs no longer have so much say in it. Stay tuned or go ask your Club President how much they know.

Reply #145400 | Report this post

fairdinkum  
Years ago

No, this a genuine initiative from BSA. Will require enormous consultation with the clubs. ie Strategy, finance, cost effectiveness, boundaries,stadium use, social implications, team structure, fees, parent feedback, progression for kids.......

Reply #145402 | Report this post

nO IN THE KNOW  
Years ago

Does 3/4/5 out of District mean that they definitely wont get Coaches? Will it be left up to Mum and Dads?

Does it then take the pressure off the Div 1 Coaches, Clubs and the JDO's to supply coaches to these lower divisions - interesting that this thread has come up when in another thread - complaints about not having enough coaches for these divs was raised!

Reply #145442 | Report this post

SAD  
Years ago

anon
I know its on the table now......
I can confirm none of the clubs will be treating their 3,4 and 5 teams as social teams. The structure of the competition may change, but the standard will only improve. I suggest you go speak to your Club President, the proposed concept ( and I mean proposed, nothing has been set in concrete yet)is that the Clubs will be running the competition for lower divisions.
After saying that there is an enourmous amount of planning to do yet, everything is in concept stage.
The final governing structure has not been finally approved, competition structure is a long way off.
Why post rubbish on this site, and generate concerns when it is not real.
I will say it again......the Clubs will not allow the weakening of the lower division comp......they will always be part of their Club.

Reply #145445 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

SAD never said the clubs would treat the 3/4/5's as social. Yes it is on the table as clubs are being asked to discuss. No its in the planning stage but looking at it the current District clubs are not getting as much say as they are used to. Thats all I was saying. Not wanting to post rubbish- I didnt start the thread. And my kids arent in Div one so it is of interest to me - do I still pay the same fees- what trainings will we get etc. Just posing the questions Im sure many would be thinking.

Reply #145522 | Report this post

BIG baller  
Years ago

if its gonna be the same as how they've been running the div 4's for the past 2 seasons its not that big of a deal in fact its quite good but i can't see the comp or clubs wanting to lose money by treating these guys as lower class ball players thats would result in alot of people walking away from ball

Reply #145699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my son has seen this and next year being a first year will be either div 2 or 3 at a strong club. He has told me that if this is the new structure and he is div 3 he will be focussing his efforts back into football. So you might pick up some but will you lose some as well?

Reply #145726 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Different impacts on clubs areas age. Would suit some that just want to have a game in the area.

Reply #145753 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

So, has anything been decided yet?

Reply #164108 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:15 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754