North Champs
Years ago

Justin Schueller NBL Shot?

Does this season's performance ensure Justin gets the nod at the NBL level as an assistant or a development coach.
The guy is obviously on the right page.

Thoughts?

Topic #12470 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Why not. Make him the next Boomers coach.

Reply #145145 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

He would have to coach in Brisbane - I think only Eddie would have the money to stack the team for him ;)

Reply #145147 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could try his hand in the NZ NBL as a step in that direction?

Reply #145150 | Report this post

Vet  
Years ago

I know for a fact that if Ian Stacker had landed a job this season Schueller would have been his assistant, so dont think it will be too far off.
It wouldn't suprise me if the Sixers invite him to get involved in some capacity.
Showed his basketball nouse in the GF, good young coach.

Reply #145154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way Sixers will ask him - Smyth doesnt like him.

Reply #145155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am laughing my a$$ off about this topic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats all I have to say.

Reply #145159 | Report this post

The Count  
Years ago

Interesting to hear Dusty on coast fm the other night talk about him as a coach. He felt that he could easily coach at the next level and said that the difficulties he thought he may have as a first year coach werent a problem and felt he did a great job all year.
A mate i know but also someone who has played at many different levels so would know.

Reply #145163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schueller is a joke ... anyone could have coached a team that stacked . ive been coached by him as junior and wasnt the greatest to say the least. Whats with him not playing ryan kersten becuase he dosent fit in the rotation ? isnt that a coach's job to find away to fit all his star players in a rotation ? mrs schueller thanks for starting this topic it gave me a good chuckle

Reply #145168 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Stacked team or no stacked team, they played the toughest team in the league in the grand final. I don't think Schueller had to do any more to prove he knows what he is doing. Before the grand final, the Rockets lost 2 out of the 3 games against Norwood and the only game they won was by 1 point in overtime. Its obvious his tactics in the grand final game was the decider. Don't underestimate him. On CoastFM the other night Schueller did say that his lack of playing at NBL level would go against him as an NBL coach but I would say a few years as an assistant to learn the ropes would see him go a long way in the future of NBL basketball.

Reply #145169 | Report this post

Dusty stop seeding these pro Schueller threads. I would hate to see what you do to promote Joey in Brisbane.

Reply #145172 | Report this post

Rocket  
Years ago

once again Norwood were the favorites in this Grand Final, people werent talking up the talent level of North just doubting if Schueller could have a strategy to win. Well he did the North biys executed it, enough said. He got the best out of the group, and the players followed his lead, sign of a great coach.

Reply #145173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

come on now .. something tells me Schueller " master plan " would have been blown out the water if norwood could shoot the ball at over 20 percent. Norwood just couldnt throw a rock in the ocean . we will see his master plan when they get spanked by geelong

Reply #145174 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon #145174 even Norwood's shooting at 20% is attributable to Scheuller's "Master Plan".

Reply #145176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder why they shot at 20%. Did they have wide open looks they missed or was it the defensive pressure and tactics that drew that shooting %. At the end of the game I dont think the difference was that great - more an issue of turnovers in my opinion. However, unlike the rest of the NBL calibre critics here what would I know?

And the comment on Ryan Kerston getting no time - I think that was clarified that Ryan knew that before the game. And what is a coach to do - win a game or to make sure everyone gets equal court time. Oh, now I understand, all the crtics here are U10 or Div 2 or lower coaches.

Finally in another thread a post, and I presume from a Norwood supporter, Norwood was the best team due to their bench strength. If this was the case surely the coach must be the difference - Sapwell v Schueller: no contest Schueller every day of the week.

And no I am not his mum or Dusty!

Reply #145178 | Report this post

Wade  
Years ago

Why dont the people taking cheap shots put their names to their posts. He is 1 from 1 end of story. If he can attract good players to the rotation full credit to him. Similar results next year will see him getting a shot at the next level without question.

Reply #145180 | Report this post

Can not coach!!  
Years ago

Thanks Justin. Just a quick question, What has he done prior to the Dusty led Rockets as a coach? Been at three maybe four clubs and done nothing.

Reply #145183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely he can make the NBL on looks alone

Reply #145184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the messenger it mentions about him winning 2 other titles this year at national level, Pt Maquarie and Australian Marist, pretty sure Dusty didnt play in those!

Reply #145186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Smyth can coach in the NBL then Justin surely can.

Reply #145187 | Report this post

Sir Charles  
Years ago

This seems to be a hating session.
The guy has done well this season and has in the past.
Only time will tell if he gets there or not, but on this season he has shown he has potential and should be congratulated for getting the win.

Reply #145191 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Justin can not coach in the NBL, what a joke.

He only got the job at North as he promised that he would get Dusty playing for them.

This is a joke, there is no way in hell he could coach above what he is doing now.

Not only that but he has a bad reputation with the 36ers due to his off court antics.

Namely one under age state trip.

Reply #145192 | Report this post

Sir Charles  
Years ago

Phil isnt a fan because of his close association with Ingles and Ninnis, some blame went on him for Joe leaving Adeladie.
Also took Zorich and Rowe to Townsville for a bit, which was before either were consideration for the Sixers but still got frowned upon.

Reply #145193 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

Typical Adelaide tall poppy syndrome!! Justin has a great basketball mind and would be very valuable at NBL level. And he is only 26, still a long time to get more experience and prove his worth. This ABL win is just the start of a long career for Justin in my book. Why knock someone just for having good networking and recruiting skills? And at the risk of jinxing it, I would love to see what the baggers have to say if they win on Saturday night.

And no I am not anyone close to him, just someone who has been watching him in various roles at North and been impressed by what I've seen.

Reply #145195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe he can draw on his experince as a fat 19 year old that quit to become a coach

Reply #145196 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Petty grudges if true. He had no professional affiliation with the 36ers that I'm aware of - if he smartly developed ties with Stacker or Ninnis and tried to find friends/players a role somewhere, so be it.

At least at one point (may still be the case?) he had close dealings with MVP who exist to find deals for their clients.

Won't offer comment on whether he can coach because I haven't seen enough to know - but he has every right to give it a shot.

Reply #145197 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

The fact that everyone has an opinion whether positive or negative must mean he is doing something right!
You dont hear anything being said about the coaches that havent won.
why isnt Sapwell getting mentioned, he was coach of the year and has no leg to stand on after the Final.
It always amazes me when people want to slag someone for having a go and giving it a crack.
An old saying recruiting is coaching and he got a player that complemented the rest.
Coaching is about putting a system in place that will work for the group, having rules and motivating players.
I dont think in any of these three areas could you question him.

Reply #145198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

refering to how he took zorich and rowe to townsville fo0r a bit before the sixers lookd at them isnt that a good thing that he gives his players the best opportunity to reach the NBL level and above????

Reply #145199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good point anon #145199,
also if he can coach talent why cant he coach at NBL level, pretty sure that league is full of talented players.
people knocking him is a joke!

Reply #145200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whether you like Schueller or not, the fact is he completely and utterly out-coached an NBL assistant coach last Saturday night.
Speaks volumes for both sides I would have thought.

Reply #145204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. The guy is 26.... He has won an NBL title in his 1st yr of coaching. Who cares about the team he had... He has shown he can coach. Norwood were clearly outcoached in every aspect of the game on Saturday night. Your damned if you do damned if you dont.

Damned if you recruit, damned if you dont.
Damned if you win, damned if you dont.
Etc.

The guy has what it takes to be an assistant coach. Knowledge, ability to build relationships with the countries elite players, contacts, ability to video scout and run individuals.

Reply #145228 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rick Castle was an assistant in the NBL and coached in the NZ NBL. Can't see why Schueller couldn't work towards it either.

Reply #145233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its funny how everyone refers to North as a "stacked team" nowdays.

A team full of North juniors... who have worked their butts off to be as good as they are.

They are ONE ring-in different to the team they had last year.

So how can being "stacked" be looked at as a negative? i have no idea!

They are "stacked" because they are better than most players from other teams.

Instead of making excuses... how about they hit the training track and improve their game.

Reply #145235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stacked beceasue they have one of the nbl's best imports...

Reply #145241 | Report this post

Dusty Bottoms  
Years ago

Unfortunately for Justin, NBL management would look at his result and say the only reason he won this year was due to Dusty playing. If Norwood had Carlos Powell playing for them the Flames would've won.

if Dusty didn't play this year the Rockets would've been lucky to make the finals.

Saying otherwise...well your just kidding yourselves.

The CABL is the weakest state league in Australia and Justin would need to cut his teeth in the next level -which isn't NBL, but on the East coast in the SEABL.

Reply #145242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

145242, the skills to be an assistant are different to been a head coach in the NBL. Anyone that knows justin, knows those that play for him or saw the game on Saturday would know that a number of coaches around the league would gladly take him on. Rupert was clearly outcoached. Norwood have a very, very good side. If Dusty could play for Norwood and North the outcome would have been the same. Norths win was a team effort and Justin clearly exploited Norwoods deficiencies to a tea and Rupert was just baffled with what to do.

Reply #145243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact is Dusty is an NBL import and All Star. Other NBL players in the league are role players (eg Cooper). If you put Dusty in any of the top 8 teams from last year they probably would have won it. I say proabbaly because you still need good coaching. The test for Schuller would have been if he did not have Dusty this year would he have improved on Loveday's performance last year. I doubt it.

Reply #145245 | Report this post

Fact  
Years ago

Fact is Justin won an ABL title as a rookie coach. Fact Dusty is returning this yr so he will probably win it again. Fact Justin can coach, he showed that on Saturday. Fact the win on Saturday was a team effort.

Reply #145251 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Crap #145245. There were at least 2 games Dusty did not play this year and they still won.

They are a different unit than that of last year.

Justin deserves some praise for his work with this team as does Loveday for his past work.

Reply #145252 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Crap #145245. There were at least 2 games Dusty did not play this year and they still won.

They are a different unit than that of last year.

Justin deserves some praise for his work with this team as does Loveday for his past work.

Reply #145253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without Dusty:

Lost to West and South
Beat Centrals, Woodville and Sturt

Not enough games to go on but hardly convincing.

Reply #145255 | Report this post

Dusty Bottoms  
Years ago

Who were the two teams that were beaten by the Dustless Rockets?? Please don't say Centrals & NCT..

Which teams would North have beaten this year if Dusty wasn't playing?

I applaud imports playing in the CABL and Clubs that do their best to recruit high calibre players. The league is just vanilla without these great-to-watch players.

However back to point, I don't think Justin Schuller is ready for an NBL job (yet). He needs to coach in the SEABL first or get into the AIS.

Reply #145259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sapwell is an assistant with the Sixers. How did his first year of coaching in the abl go compared to Justins first year?

Reply #145264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"if Dusty didn't play this year the Rockets would've been lucky to make the finals."

Yeah lets forget they have Eric, Hambour, Rowe, and Zorich who are better than most of the guys in the league.

Reply #145267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rowe better than most the guys in the league. Thats one of the funniest things i have heard all day along with Schueller the sleeze being in the NBL. Get your hand off it and wake up from the dream. Hambour, Eze and Ziggy wouldnt have even made the finals.

Reply #145275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not forget that the Norwood team was no hack team. They were up 2-1 on previous contests. Boti said Justin had a defensive plan for Norwood which he shleved in the semi final and produced it in the GF.

Surely this points to him being more than a capable coach - particulalry when an NBL assistant coach with a wealth of talent in his team could not come up with a solution.

Reply #145276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

were you dropped from one of Bear's teams once upon a time? You sure seem to have a pretty big problem with him.

As for your comments about Rowe, Rowe would be better than most people in the league, he starts in the championship team, surely some credit is due there. and anyway his performance in the grandfinal proves he is one of the best out there.

Get a life mate and spot having ago at people you couldn't beat.

Reply #145302 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Interested, I thoroughly agree and its exactly what I was thinking. He is only 26 so how much history does this man have to have? He is still on the first page of his resume, give him 10 years and no doubt he will have filled another 10 pages. Oh and by the way, what an impressive first page.

Reply #145304 | Report this post

Replies  
Years ago

145264 , in answer to your question Sapwell finished bottom in his first year as a coach. THis was basically with the same team that made the playoffs the yr before!

Reply #145306 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Schueller for Young Australian of the Year!

Press Release

The Sudan Supersonics will be contacting Coach Schueller soon to discuss the propect of taking over as head coach.

Think about the internet fridge Schueller. You won't regret it!

Reply #145312 | Report this post

Gareth Keenan  
Years ago

I have been coached by and been Justin's assistant in the past and I can say with no hesitation that he is the most knowledgable, passionate and professional coach I have ever had. No matter what some of the haters think, this guy will eventually coach in the NBL, whether it is as an assistant or as a head coach, so get used to him.

Reply #145313 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Dusty Bottoms, North played 4 games and won 3 in the absence of Dusty. They beat Woodville, Sturt and Centrals. Don't forget the top 3 teams all have NBL players, Forestville have 2. Both Forestville and Norwood have older more experienced players, North is mostly made up of very young players with much less experience. The guidance given by Schueller gave them the edge. 4 of North's starting 5 are under 24 years old.

Reply #145317 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I wonder how many of these pro justin posts were actually him.

Reply #145319 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I am not him

Reply #145322 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

me...

I wonder how many of these posts against Justin are just jealous basketballers that neither know Justin or how he coaches. All they see is a rookie coach with a great team and all they manage to figure is that the team is winning all by them selves.

Well I can tell you as someone who has been coached by Justin and who has watched his ABA trainings. The amount of prep he does for each training and game shows me he is a great coach. He deseves every bit of praise that he gets!

Bear... luv ya work mate, keep it up!

Reply #145325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He might be a half decent coach but is a complete wanker with a beer. No respect for him.

Reply #145328 | Report this post

Yaoza  
Years ago

They managed to get a camera for Bears halftime speech:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thWqNof5nXA

Reply #145339 | Report this post

1 - Never seen the guy coach.
2 - guy is 26.
3 - guy was a rookie this year.
4 - guy did have an NBL main import in his team.
5 - guy did win an ABL Championship.
6 - 1-0 from one attempt.
7 - I did laugh at this post when i first read it.
8 - IMO, it's early days yet but all the best.
9 - It's ridiculous i have to defend this, but I don't know him to speak to, saw him 1st time last weekend in town celebrating with a quiet beer on Nth Terrace.

Reply #145360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no one can knock him for his coaching ability and effort.......however that is not the only talent required to coach at the top level.
Justin is young and still has a lot to learn in how to manage himself off court. He has pissed a lot of people off with his games, hopefully time and a more mature attitude will resolve these issues

Reply #145376 | Report this post

Age of Love  
Years ago

Without Matthews Norwood is a terrible team. So you take both Dusty and Todd out of their teams and their teams dramatically struggle and arent as dominant.

Norwood couldnt shoot on the night because they didnt know whta hit them or they drank too much at the wollacott dinner thinking that they have already won the game. give credit where credit is due. the North guys were professional and didnt drink and focused on the GF where as the Norwood boys got on the piss thinking they were already the champs.. This is what happens when you rub it in your opponents faces when you win on your home court! What goes around come around Norwood...

Reply #145394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Age of Love it has already been said that Norwood werent out drinking at the woolocott so that has nothing to do with it. They were outplayed on the night. Thats it. None of this other speculative crap.

Can I ask how they rubbed it into the faces of North when they won at home?

Reply #145397 | Report this post

Peedro  
Years ago

Schueller is a genius Sixers need him.

Reply #145417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Without Matthews Norwood is a terrible team. So you take both Dusty and Todd out of their teams and their teams dramatically struggle and arent as dominant."

Thats gotta be one of the stupidest posts on this site ive ever read.

Without the two stars they would still both be top 5 sides.

Reply #145436 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

there is a simple answer to this ridiculous back and forth, wait. North will face the best local teams in Australia soon. If Justin gets the championship then good on him.

The game against Norwood he did the job on Matthews, over playing him with bigger guards and forcing the other Flames to hit (pause for ironic giggle) and then had a big waiting for Todd when he entered the key. What would have been interesting would the Norwood players hitting and making Justin alter his defence. Personally Im not a fan of him and yeah I dont think he had a hard rookie season, but he did win. He just hasn't beaten anyone worth raving about yet. Bring on the SEABL and just wait.

Reply #145446 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why are people waiting for him to fail in the SEABL. It has nothing to do with last week's championship. His team won the championship against other local teams. The grand final victory will be no less sweeter if he doesn't win any games in the National finals this weekend. What's to come is a separate issue to what he has already achieved. Forestville won the championship last year but were not too successful in the National games, I didn't see any posts questioning Simons ability as a coach.

Reply #145449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ive been lucky enouf 2 have justin as a coach n out of all my years playin his the by far the best coach ive ever had, took us 2 a championship earlier in the yr. guys a genius n his passion is unquestionable. nbl for sure.

Reply #145453 | Report this post

Yaoza  
Years ago

So I guess the question is, is the best coach in the league the one who wins the championship? Did he do the best job as coach this year? And how much now is recruiting part of ABL coaching. Two teams that played in the finals were greatly affected by recruiting. Before Sapwell got Matthews and Cooper, he had a wooden spoon and could Loveday have got the Rockets over the hump with Dusty. And all the other player on the team were well on the way to being good players before the coaches got to the clubs.

Reply #145457 | Report this post

Yaoza, i think the best coach ISN'T neccessarily the guy who wins the Grand Final, but it also depends on when you announce the award.

where did Norwood finish last year?
" did North finish last year?

If there was huge improvement on previous year in terms of w/l %, ladder finish position, these all influence it before Grand final...

After the grand final, especially in a close tie between two coaches, then the winning coach would have to be better, as he achieved the main aim of the competition.

Only my opinion though.

Reply #145478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who won tonight?

Reply #145493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just wondering if this means that Ben Gliddon should be already coaching in the NBL because he has beaten Shueller in no less than 6 games in U18's this season. As well as beaten him at State champs and in the Summer season.

And Shueller has even recruited one of Ben's players.

Reply #145513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does what happened last night mean Mark Leader should be a shot to coach in NBA??

Reply #145519 | Report this post

Yaoza  
Years ago

So my question is(another): Who did the better job. Liam Flynn made the playoffs with less talent. Justen made the playoffs and won but struggled in the season when Dusty was not there to cover his back. Where was his super gameplan in the nationals.

Reply #145545 | Report this post

Pultney  
Years ago

i agree, i felt Liam Flynn deserved coach of the year as he had weaker lists than Sapwell and Schueller.
They lost 2 games with out Dusty but also were missing Ben Groves in both games and Dallas Quigley in one of them, suddenly makes the line up small.
As for a game plan at nationals, a friend that went to the game said that the North guys did a great job just missed key baskets, and the bench played the last 6mins when it blew out a little more. Geelong havent been challenged too much in thier own league by teams, need to remember this is a team that has competed in nationals the past 6 years and are reigning champs. i think who ever played them in the quarters was always in for a big ask.

Reply #145546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pultney - your comment re the bench played the last 6 minutes when it blew out is no excuse for losing, if they are good enough to suit up they should be good enough to hit the floor but it is really the exact reason that Geelong are so strong - they could have started with their bench players and the result would have been the same due to the depth that they have.

CABL comp teams rarely go past 7 equal talent players which astounds me because this state has some great players, so maybe we have two teams too many to be serious competitors in a national comp and keep the standard at a high level and tough games each week? But the argument has been done so...

Reply #145558 | Report this post

OFF TOPIC slightly, but how does our salary cap compare with other comps?

Population and industry influences the ability of clubs to recruit and keep better players.

anywho, back to Schueller et al...

Reply #145625 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754