Melvin Corpuscle
Years ago

NH - Sav Rocca - welcome to the NFL

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2007/08/how-easily-does-australian-rules.html ... the kick is good - but the hit is even better ...

Topic #12481 | Report this topic

jhfjhbdfgb  
Years ago

That hit was awesome. Good respect for the second guy on Savs team that game in for the kill.

Reply #145336 | Report this post

oracle  
Years ago

gotta get that to the footy show at Ch 9.

almost football legends!

Reply #145337 | Report this post

oracle  
Years ago

B I G SAV

Reply #145341 | Report this post

Nucklehead  
Years ago

HOOOOLYDOOOLY! Odds on they recon "Aussie" footballers are weak!

The guy would have gone for 3 games in the AFL.

Reply #145363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats what i thought...

Im sure they would have been like "welcome to the NFL, we are tough here"...

But Sav would have taken numerous bigger hits in the AFL... and without pads!

The NFL tough guy image is a crock!

Reply #145371 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Ive seen a fair few NFL games and I have to say it wasnt overly impressive hit wise. The guy that hit Sav, it wasnt as much a good hit as it was a cheap shot, as a punter he is supposed to be left alone after he kicks the ball to run off the field, he didnt see the hit comming and couldnt protect himself or brace for it. You think that if he had seen the guy comming (the ball was along way away btw) that Sav woulnt have been able to put him down, Savs a big guy...muscle not like the fat that they use in the NFL.

I would love to see the next time these two teams come together if the guy tries to line Sav up again.

The NFL is a basically a girls version of rugby.

Reply #145427 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Ummmm.... no. Sorry Skud, but the punter is not "supposed to be left alone after he kicks the ball to run off the field". He's supposed to haul his butt down and try to tackle the returner like everybody else!

re. "The NFL is a basically a girls (sic) version of rugby", clearly you know nothing at all about the game.

Reply #145434 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I dont know that much about NFL, apologies Ben, but it appears that they take a rough and tough game then put on lots of pads so that no one gets hurt. Seems just a tad gentle doesn't it? Maybe they could all wear the big sumo suits and have a real giggle at themselves. Tough like fairy bread.

Reply #145438 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

while its not as rough as rugby or afl its skill 300 pound guys laying hits. It would be interesting to see the NFL players in our game though. I

Reply #145448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the tackles in the nfl are soooo hard if they didnt where pads there would probably be fatalities on the field

Reply #145455 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

No worries Melvin. I've just become a bit of an NFL evangelist in recent times, so I feel compelled to stick up for the game when I read comments like that! :)

I actually used to think the same thing until I started to get into the NFL a few seasons back, and I still think that as far as sheer "toughness" goes, the players could definitely learn a thing or two from our AFL guys. Like someone else said though, we don't have 300+ pound gigantors trying to squash people in AFL. And I think on average, the momentum in many of the collisions can be very high, even higher than in the AFL, due to the nature of the game ie. that the burts of action are sporadic, and over short distances, and there's pretty much guaranteed to be someone running at you in exactly the opposite direction who wants to squash you. There's no running for 30m on an open paddock like in our game.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/player.asp?player_id=73

I think they're overdoing it a bit with "one of the best players in the history of the AFL"...

Reply #145462 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I only just watched the hit then... lol. Poor Sav. Was a bit unnecessary I must say.

I loved it how the commentator called him "Roke-a". And "Ausss-ey football."

Reply #145463 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Also, tackles in NFL are two guys heading in opposite directions, i.e. front on confrontations. That sort of tackle is very rare in AFL.

I doub't that many NFL players could keep up with the speed and endurance required for an AFL game. NFL is about power and strength.

Reply #145473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sav Rocca hits back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYyOvoolACo

Reply #179310 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Pfft - that was the softest hit ever !

Reply #179318 | Report this post

cc  
Years ago

Welcome to the NFL!!.. pfft.. Once again the americans bignoteing themselves because no other person from another country could possibly be as tough as them.... Say it like it is.. its a cheap shot from a moron throwing his whole body helmet first at a player that shouldn't be expecting any hit when its nowhere near the play. I'd love to see Rocca run through him the next time they play. He wouldn't be getting up as quickly.

Reply #220245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WOW people the average afl player is 95kg(209pd) in the nfl the avg is 110(250pd) the hits in the nfl are soooooo much harder than afl if there were no protection there would be nemorous deaths and players in the nfl are alot more athletic and stronger than the afl which means for stronger hits

Reply #221726 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:35 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754