Isaac
Years ago

NBL Pre-Season: Blaze vs Dragons

The Gold Coast Blaze played the South Dragons yesterday and the boxscore is available.

Blaze imports struggled and the Dragons got up easily, despite being without Groves and Horvath.

Shannon Seebohm started for the Dragons and, while fairly luckless from the field, reportedly looked very comfortable playing at that level.

I don't know much about Seebohm - any info from readers? Someone that the 36ers should've had their eye on a little more closely?

Jacob Holmes had 11 and 12. Matt Burston was in good form apparently and Shane Heal paced them with 29 points.

Blaze were missing James Harvey and Son of Joyce.

Topic #12486 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Interesting to see that the majority of Heal's points from 3pt range. Hitting 6/10.

Would James Harvey had made much of a difference to the Blaze line up?

From what I can gather the Sixers should have been chasing Seebohm, now the Dragons have Ingles, Seebohm who are going to be outstanding in the near future.

Reply #145367 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Blaze were also missing Pero Cameron and Casey Frank :) so while the result doesnt look overly impressive there should be a bit of improvement when the full squad is together.

Reply #145375 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was about to add that they were missing Pero and Frank but you beat me to it.

Concerned at all by the performance of the imports? Jason Crowe was 1/13 FG and had 7 assists with 8 turnovers.

Reply #145379 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

What league/college did Crowe come from? Could the way our game is played/officiated had an impact on his FG's and Assist to Turnover Ratio?

Reply #145381 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bizzy, came from the NZ NBL. Hard to draw too much conclusion from one boxscore, and I didn't see stats from their game against the Tigers, just that Crowe didn't score well then.

Report from the Dragons game was that the Blaze imports weren't great. Might need some time to adjust.

Reply #145382 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Whilst Blaze had Harvey/Casey/Pero and lets not forgte SOJ to add.

Drags had no Imports at all.

Good out come for dragons, but shows reliance on Heal firing.
Horvarth and grooves will remove that pressure a lot.

Doubt Blaze mising would of made a diffrence unless Imports sat on bench

Reply #145383 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Isaac - yes concerned about imports - 1/13 isnt good no matter how you package it up and Hawkins will need to a lot more productive as well!
In saying that - I am optimistic (probably blindly) that the group - when all together - will mesh together well and put a competitive product on the floor - every night!

......and as for all the constant sniping at Daniel Joyce (more on OzHoops than here) how about we give this talented 19 year old (yes only 19) a chance to play in his 2nd season before we contantly can him as only in the league cause his Dad is the coach!

Reply #145409 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Whats got up your nose?
all that was said was they didn't play

Reply #145410 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

KC Gone - as mentioned more to do with comments on OzHoops than on here - he is quite an easy target for smart comments and IMO at this stage its unwarranted and uneccesary.

Reply #145413 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KC, I think it might've been our use of the adoring "SoJ" term that reminded Statman of the kid's usual reception on OzHoops from a few of the Hawks fans!

Reply #145420 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Got it in one Isaac - while quite a clever nickname thats bound to stick I just think he should be given a bit of a break as he is still so young!

Sure he may end up being a complete bust but I for one and giving him a bit more leeway at this stage.

Hmm does it show that I have my membership and courtside seats to the Blaze already and am starting to get itchy feet for the first game.....

Reply #145422 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

OK DJ from know on this site.

Reply #145424 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Jason Crowe had a massive game! almost double double in missed shots and turnovers!

Reply #145430 | Report this post

Peej  
Years ago

The reason why Joyce Jnr has received so much criticism is not to do with his potential, but because of the elevated opportunities he has had 'playing for dad'. It may be that he will deserve to be playing 20 minutes a game even this year, but he certainly didn't deserve to last year.

I seem to recall similar criticisms directed to S Black back in the day, it didn't really stick for long (once he stopped playing for his dad anyway).

Reply #145472 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

"I just think he should be given a bit of a break as he is still so young!
"
No one deserves a break in the big time. If you're not good enough you shouldn't be there!

The kid has arms the size of a 12 yo girl..

Go away and come back when you can compete at NBL level.

Reply #145549 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754