b'ballmum
Years ago

u14 girls trials

How do coaches decide which division 60 girls should go into, when at the trial there were no scratch matches, only basic layups and passing. Can girls try out at a number of clubs? Is it true that a div 2 player u12 can end up in a City South team u14?
Very new to basketball.

Topic #12505 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

depends on which club. sturt doesnt let new kids try out with current players. they just select who they want from the current players and then trial the new kids by themselves. prevents some new kids from showing up current players.

most other clubs trial new kids with current kids. and district players should be dropped into citysouth if better new players come along. it helps to improve the competition too.

Reply #145696 | Report this post

Sabre  
Years ago

Not a matter of "showing up" current kids. It's just trialling current kids is a pointless exercise which wastes the players and coaches time. We have seen them for 12 months or longer and they will be graded according to their performances over the previous 12 months. External trials are for players we haven't seen before. By the way they are this Sunday at Pasadena so come out and give it a try!

Reply #145701 | Report this post

not answered  
Years ago

Still does not answer the question - how can Coaches tell from basic lay-ups and passing what div kids should go into - Just because you say you are Div 2 at one club shouldnt mean that you get to stay in Div 2 at another. Your team could be Div 2 but losing all their games, and the kid at the trial could be one of the weaker members of the team.

I think trials are a waste of everyone's time especially if basic layups and passing is all they are doing.

They need to trial against/with the existing kids and teams that they hope to be in - only fair way to do it!

Reply #145744 | Report this post

Pulteney 93  
Years ago

I don't think they can, exactly. However it is pretty obvious from the way a player handles the ball, passes and shoots if they are a higher division, lower division or simply not up to it.

I agree good practice is to actually play in either the half or full court (or both) and every trial I have ever seen has both a skill and competitive component. Also the older the age group, the more competitive it will be. Younger trials are very skill based.

It doesn't have to be exact, you just need to know roughly where new kids will fit in. More precise team selections are done when these new players actually train against existing kids in their new squads.

Trials are only the first step in the selection process, not the be all and end all.

Reply #145746 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

surely key aspect of trials is to determine numbers your clkub has avauilable and to get register of intrertest from new kids - guarantee not one coach picks his team based on a few trials - more looking for new talent possible dev players - first step is getting new kids to trials and then getting them back to then develop - anybody who thinks a few trials locks you in to a division is not with it - but most coaches can pretty quickly access where new playewrs are at - i reckon within 5 - 10 minutes - dont have to be einstein catch shoot dribble plays hard dee - left / right penetration dribble over 6 foot 4 - i reckon div 1 material -

Reply #145773 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

As I understand it, there is no City South competition for the Girls so bit difficult for this to occur.
In relation to the trials, obviously it was a good opportunity for the head coach to determine who has reasonable skills already, rather than have lots of kids sitting around while scrimmages were taking place.

Reply #145774 | Report this post

the word  
Years ago

sturt have not placed any juniors yet.

there are external trials this weekend and coaches meetings later in the day.
all current coaches have been asked to supply recommendations to the bagwan for squad allocation.

so yes an u12 div 2 may get asked to play in city south - my kid was a div 1 bench player and played city south to get some court time.

the other option is to go elsewhere where a div 2 player from sturt would get div 1 on current effort.

if that is what you want...

Reply #145908 | Report this post

the word  
Years ago

... and just some more ...

yes it is hard to go from say div 3/4 to div 1 in one season at sturt.

the best you could hope for is get up 1 div per year - trust me if your results are STRONG enough - you will not be ignored.

keep your CV squeaky clean and do not knock back ANY opportunity to move up and see what happens.

leave it on the court and nobody will argue

Reply #145909 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754