Bizzy
Years ago

NBA - Eddie Griffin Dead @ 25

Ex-NBA and college star Eddie Griffin has died in a car-train accident.

According to Houston police, Griffin was driving a Nissan SUV in the 5300 block of Lawndale when he crashed through a railroad-crossing arm and was stuck by a train.

Griffin was pronounced dead on the scene, but his body was burned beyond recognition and there were no signs of identification in the car.

You can read more here or even here

Extremely unfortunate, Griffin was a stand out in high school and Seaton Hall, but came to the NBA and battled alcohol issues.

Topic #12512 | Report this topic

johnnysack  
Years ago

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2985307

I`m shocked...

I was trolling through recent deaths on Wiki and came across this... Happened last week but they couldn`t ID the body till the last couple of days...

The guy had talent and his demons (as well documented) nonetheless... RIP Eddie...

Reply #145803 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Yeah apparently the body was so badly burnt it took until today to ID him through dental records.

Reply #145804 | Report this post

johnnysack  
Years ago

One of those wierd fate-related things tho (just occured to me) - Of the last three (active or semi-active) NBA players to die in car accidents - two of them were current or ex T-Wolves (Malik Sealy and Griffin) along with Bobby Phills of the Hornets (in the infamomous (alleged) David Wesley 911 street race)...

Reply #145817 | Report this post

johnnysack  
Years ago

Sorry - Forgot about Drazen Petrovic... Add his name in as well...

Reply #145818 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Very sad news - always horrible when someone so young dies but not really a shock ... he has had well documented troubles

Reply #145832 | Report this post

doosh  
Years ago

The first link to the article makes it sound like suicide...

Anyways, i feel real bad for Eddie. The guy could defintely play basketball, sucks how he had to battle through different things which effectively killed off his career.

Reply #145879 | Report this post

Surmdog  
Years ago

i agree doosh seems like suicide unfortunitly the Poor sole sounds like he had some mental issues whilst being able to play ball shoot the lights out and block shots at a high rate.
a sad day for basketball

Reply #145928 | Report this post

a sad day for basketball? its not like michael jordan died.

Reply #146253 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:26 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754