Bizzy
Years ago

Boomers vs Tall Blacks Pt 2 (Spoiler)

Well it's about tip-off time for the second game of the Boomers v Tall Black series.

What's people tips? I'm tipping NZL to get up in a close one.

Topic #12518 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Live scores

My tip: Australia by 5-12.

Reply #145886 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Thanks to Isaac here's a link to live scores: Live Scores

Reply #145887 | Report this post

the ghost  
Years ago

No way Tall Blacks a new team with a new coach so Aussies are in a heaps better position forget it.Aussies are a far better team despite Goorgian saying how good they are lets see what happens at the Olympics where they will get tested.

Reply #145888 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

41 - 42 NZL up @ the 1/2.

Reply #145896 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

We looked very dodgy against that zone in the last 5 mins..

Mills tearing it up..

My tip : Boomers by 8.

Reply #145899 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

mills is insane...

Reply #145900 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

Great 3rd qtr from the Boomers. Turn a 1 pt deficit into an 18 point lead.

Mills is one of the quickest players I've seen on a basketball court.

Reply #145901 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

mills....oh my god...

Reply #145902 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Off Farley onto Mills now jules...lol

He is so quick, yet so poised for someone so young it is amazing..
Good performance Boomers, Mee very effective as well, great skipper's game by Mackinnon.

Reply #145903 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

farley who?

mills is my new love

Reply #145905 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

and except this time - its impossible to bag mills...IMPOSSIBLE

Reply #145906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills does look good, which begs the question: Why is he going to St Mary's in the WCC?

Reply #145907 | Report this post

BILLLY  
Years ago

While the WCC is a mid-major conference and St Mary's is not there best team, they still finished third and they do have teams like gonzaga in the conf.
I Look foreward to hitting up the st. Marys and Gonzaga Forums (they like him aswell) next season to see how he goes.

Great Time for the development for aussie BBall.
Mills, Bruce, Ogilvy, Newley, Jingles, Juwai, Bogut...............Excellent Future.

Reply #145911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BILLLY: dont forget Baynes and Marics.

Newley looked terrible today. If Mills does well at St Mary's, he might get picked up by a bigger school the next year.

Reply #145915 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

If he changes schools he will have to sit out a season, I don't think that is going to happen

Reply #145917 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was out at dinner and missed the game. What happened to the Kiwis for them to suffer close to a 30 point turnaround in the second half?

Reply #145926 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Mills happened.......

(Just ask Jules)

Reply #145939 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Isaac, turnovers again, the Tall-Blacks couldn't run their offence and were giving the ball up left right and center. Credit to the Aussies they played better D, but the Tall-Blacks just couldn't create, then they dropped their heads and well we all know the result.

Reply #145940 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

u forgot to mention mills bizzy...

Reply #145943 | Report this post

Kenny Smyth  
Years ago

No ones mentioned Newley, come on you South Aussies what happened to him in game 2, no D and that missed layup OMG I don't know why the coach left him out there so long.

Reply #145947 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe we should revoke his visa?

Reply #145951 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Isaac, Mee/Mills were the difference in the 2nd half.

Mee posted up Dickel a treat,had some great steals,then the baton went to Mills and he fired for the rest of each qtr.

Kiwi's had no ticker,plain and simple.Good luck to the NBL teams with those boys in them, they'll need it.

Reply #145953 | Report this post

bballfan31  
Years ago

Aussies played well. Good Defence and good adjustments in the second half.

Haha Kenny I wasn't going to be the first to say it, what about the air ball 3 and dribble straight off his foot. Answers questions of why Smith starts.

Mills was fantastic though. Saville and Mackinnon were briliant as usual. Smith started well, played good D but got some stupid fouls.

Anderson was a little lost, not as good as game 1. Mee turned it around and went to his height advantage over dickel instead of trying to match his speed. Well done to Mee and Goorj for that adjustment.

Worthington was strong off the bench again. Hinder, Kendall and Ryan looked out of their league even against NZ B-team. Halliwell = dud.

What did everyone think of some of the fouls called against defenders on Pero Cameron???? (Smith, Saville, Worthington, Mackinnon). I was annoyed at the protection he got.

Reply #145954 | Report this post

Kenny Smyth  
Years ago

In all seriousness, I thought the game was well coached by Brian and the NZ coach was out classed, the starters along with Mills played well and injury free should make the trip to China. The only problem I see is do we take 3 Point Guards CJ, Mills and Mee. My team to 2008.

Bogut/Anderson/Luke S
Sammy Mac/ Nielsen
Savelle/Worthington
Smith/Ingles
CJ/Mills/Mee

The only question mark I have is over Worthington, Ingles and big Luke, but at the end of the day if all players are in form and injury free that's a good team.

Reply #145957 | Report this post

bballfan31  
Years ago

yeah good call. Depending on how Newley improves, he might deserve a spot, but we'll see.

I think Worthington definitely belongs there.I would have liked to have seen how Ingles went in international play.

I also like the way that Mills and Mee run the offense over CJ. He tends to be a ball hog sometimes, he will often fake an injury when he isn't shooting well, and shoots way too many 3-pointers. His main focus is scoring and not distributing, which I don't like compared to Mee and Mills' work the past 2 games.

Very strong front court in that lineup, great defensive presence, and a good variety of guards. That would be a good team.

Reply #145958 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, Pero Cameron's favourite version of the haka?

Reply #145964 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Boomers were in foul trouble early in the second so had to back off in D. Man some of these calls were soft. Pero went to town. N.Z. foul shooting was abysmal.

2nd half, Pero stayed home with N.Z doing a passiable impression of the Boomers in the last world Champs.

Boomers would be generally unhappy with their 2nd Quarter Defensive efforts and their outside shooting. A quick side that gets shoots free looks has to capitalise.

Anybody else find the boomers a little soft on the boards? Higher ranked opposition will exploit this IMO.

Reply #145968 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Seriously, you guys are idiots if you don't have Newley in a Boomers uniform for Beijing

Reply #145974 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

The team I'd choosy:

Bogut/Andersen
Neilsen/Anstey
Saville/Sammy Mac
Newley/Smith
CJ/Mee/Mills

Maybe with big Luke Scensch as a back up big man given the size in that team is a little down. Worthington could slot in also

Reply #145975 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Agreed Lockstock but reality with that team is someone is gonna get pissed because they don't play.

Reply #145978 | Report this post

bballfan31  
Years ago

Why do you still think Newley is so good??? He might be......eventually....but not yet. He has really struggled the last 2 games. Summer league he struggled. He's got potential, but I would of had Ingles over him last night.

Anstey is a C, not a PF! He also has to be the main focus of a team, I dont think he fits that well in a Boomers squad all about defense and teamwork. But thats just me.

Reply #145979 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would someone still back Newley? Because he contributed at the World Champs. Because after injury on the recent Euro tour, he contributed well. Because he put up good numbers in the NBL against reasonable opposition last season. Because at least one NBA team's scout rated him good enough to be worth buying a pick for US$200k to wrap up his rights and keep an eye on him. That all holds more sway with me than a couple of games against NZ. He's no golden child, but he's still worth a spot in the team or at the camps at the very least.

Reply #145980 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

I would agree bballfan31 that Anstey is a centre, but he has range which could cause headaches for other teams. Newley will get better but he really needs to check his shooting action. It has changed and now has technical flaws which weren't evident before. This is NOT a case of an 'off' shooting day/series. He needs to get that fixed before he goes to Greece or it may turn into a nasty experience for him.

Reply #145981 | Report this post

bballfan31  
Years ago

Isaac, the NBA thinks he has potential, what I have been saying.
I have said that he deserves a spot in the team if he can improve to the standard of others looking to get in.

He is athletic, quick, agile and with training could play very very good basketball.

At the moment he does not play defense, he struggles dribbling under pressure, he forces shots, is streaky, can not take someone off the dribble and lacks court vision and strength.

All I asked was why everyone still thinks he is so good? not why do people back him. There's a difference.

Reply #145985 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because he's a pretty decent player? Haven't seen anyone not acknowledge flaws in his game.

The numbers show that he's got it done against better opposition in the past and can do that again. Plus, he's still young.

Are we arguing because you think he's a 7/10 and others think he's a 9/10 !?

Reply #145989 | Report this post

johnnysack  
Years ago

Newley is still a pup (relatively) and his going over to play ULEB is only going to make him tougher and hopefully more of an asset in international basketball... He has all of the tools and has shown glimpses over some stretches - he more than deserves to be on the squad... If not Newley - then who??? Harvey? Black? At least Goorjian is (in part) making an effort at setting the foundations of a decent youthful (finally) backcourt in the coming years...

Reply #145993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team that should be chosen in my opinion

C Bogut/Anderson/Jawai
PF Mackinnon/Nielson
SF Saville/Worhtington? (this one is up for debate as i can't think of a solid backup)
SG Newley/Ingles
PG Mee/Mills/Bruce

Been reading other peoples opinions but some things must be said. We would be silly to take Mackinnon as a SF. Look at the way international basketball is going. I mean Carmello Anthony plays the 4 for the USA. Sure if we need to go big play Nielson but apart from that Sam Mac needs to run the 4. Other people that might be on the fringe of making the team in a couple of years depending on their development would be Maric, Kickert. Ogilvy would also be worth a look but i don't think he'll be able to push any of the other bigs out in my opinion.

Reply #146003 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:53 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754