Isaac
Years ago

Boti on Burton's departure

IT would be remiss to see NBL commissioner Rick Burton depart for his new gig as marketing officer for the U.S. Olympic Committee without recalling the American's arrival four years ago.

Briefed by then league media-man Andrew Johnstone on the nuances of Aussie slang  e.g. "fair dinkum", "getting on the pi$$", "she'll be right" et al  the Commish rang several media members for personal contact.

More than one was a little bemused when the Commish concluded the "chats" with the friendly: "I really look forward to having a pi$$ with you".

Not sure he quite grasped that particular beer-related slang.

ARE we any better off after four years of being Burtonised?

No regular free-to-air TV presence, no major sponsor, crowds down. Still cannot fathom why an NBL club which can get free-to-air home games on local television is kept from doing so by the NBL.

With Burton going, that might change. Reckon a case could be made for restraint of trade if it doesn't. Basketball needs TV.

Full article

Reminds me of a story told one night out after a 36ers game by someone involved with the league that cracked me up.

Said individual met Rick Burton and went to shake his hand. Burton, however, went for some hip attempt at a fist bump instead, leaving the individual grabbing and shaking Burton's fist.

Topic #12528 | Report this topic