Isaac
Years ago

For Sale: 21" CRT monitor

I've got a 21" NEC CRT monitor that is sitting around and I no longer need. Paid $2,200+ for it at auction years ago (when that was a reasonable price for a 21" monitor...). Still useful if you have room on the desk and want a big screen on a budget.

Happy to part with it for $100, pick-up from the Mitcham area.

Contact me if interested.

Topic #12569 | Report this topic

DICKO  
Years ago

CRT? What's that?

Reply #146311 | Report this post

Phil McKracken  
Years ago

Older style monitor. The heavy ones

Reply #146315 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DICKO, you should go and befriend TR. You'd get along famously researching TLAs.

Phil, you sucker!

Reply #146316 | Report this post

Phil McKracken  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac, I guess that is lame come back for "Give it a logo that is a silhouette of "

Reply #146321 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

If you throw the Magna and $100 in, you have got yourself a deal.

Reply #146324 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Can you deliver it for an extra $50.00 ;)

Reply #146328 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statman, if you arrange the courier and that's what they charge you, maybe.

Fitz, to be fair, that's probably the best offer I've ever had for the Magna...

Reply #146329 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Phil........ HA!!!!

Worked in IT for 20 years. Fair chance I know what a CRT is.

Although you can help me.... Someone was talking to me the other day about Vinyl Records. Care to explain?

Reply #146332 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Dicko, it is kind of like a vinyl couch, or so i have been told.

Reply #146334 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Ask Ben Fitz about a thingy called a mini-disc..

aren't vinyl records the things you frisbee at emo's???

nope.. my mistake that would be razorblades.

Reply #146335 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Mini-Disc......HA! Another Sony format mess.

Along with Memory Stick, Betamax and the soon to be doomed Blue-Ray.

Reply #146337 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Don't know about the Blu-Ray thingy yet. That's going to be an ongoing battle with HD-DVD.

I recently read that Blu-Ray is exclusively supported by Sony Pictures Entertainment and MGM (both owned by Sony) as well as Disney, 20th Century Fox, and Lionsgate. It is non-exclusively supported by Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema. HP, Samsung and LG are on their books.

On the other hand, I see that HD-DVD is aligned with Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures and DreamWorks Animation. They also have support from Microsoft (crash and burn you evil empire!!!), Toshiba and NEC.

IMO PS3 with push Blu-Ray in front of HD-DVD.

This is going to be an arm wrestle for the ages...

Reply #146344 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

yeah blue-ray out selling 2-1 cant see that being doomed - i did saw the article the other day about paramount choosing to only use hd-dvd, but some of the directors aren't happy about it, and we may see paramount back flip and have to give the $150mill back to toshiba

Reply #146345 | Report this post

fOX 69  
Years ago

Dicko - Two of which are far superior to their competition!

Reply #146346 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paramount and another studio have recently been "encouraged" to support HD-DVD exclusively. There are some concerns that Blu-Ray players will just be too expensive.

A better product won't necessarily dominate the market (see VHS) and I don't know that the PS3 will be enough.

Anyone with sense would adopt a wait-and-see approach on this one - still far too early to pick a side (unless you were going to buy a PS3 anyway, for example, or had an Xbox 360 and got the cheap HD-DVD add-on).

My favourite retro format has to be the Laser Disc - what happened to those? They seem quite amusing in retrospect!

Reply #146347 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bugger the wait and see approach, just bought a PS3 and XBOX 360...

Games war the 360 wins hands down (at the moment), but the Blu-Ray on the PS3 is a winner.

Thankyou taxpayers money.

Reply #146351 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Thats okay enjoy your $2 an hour :P

Reply #146370 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac, how many rooms do you need to put the CRT into?

Reply #146377 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

better question is how many walls do you need to remove to get the CRT into your house.

$2 per hour.... hmmmm, let's just say that 40 hours overtime per fortnight for the past 4 months adds up to quite a bit...

Reply #146412 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Never said that the formats were bad. In fact, Sony makes damned good stuff. They're just stupid about their proprietary attitude to their formats. They tried to keep Beta to themselves and got burned by a far inferior format.

Universal are also anti-Blue-ray.

Reply #146416 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XY - you'll want a nice sized desk. Or $400+ to go get an LCD equivalent!

I don't know why anyone still buys Sony at all. Dodgy company (hello rootkit!) Can't think of anything that I use in a given week that is made by Sony actually.

Reply #146417 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Laser Disc, ah i remember sitting back at a mates place, watching Bad Boys, Bio Dome, Ghostbusters and having to change the disc half way through!

Reply #146419 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

TR,
I believe that if you you leave a razorblade exposed for too long, an emo will instamatically impale itself on it. No need to throw.

(Mod: Man I love emo jokes!)

Reply #146421 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Mini Disc is /was a great format. It has been killed by mp3 for sure now but what hasn't?

Plus the novelty factor alone was worth it. Too bad the charade never got a chance to have a mini disc in it TR.

Reply #146425 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I used to love my Minidisc. Great product at the time, but you're correct Ben Fitz MP3 has killed every other music player.

Reply #146427 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Too true Fitz... also a pity some tosser decided to do a u-turn in front of me.

Does anyone use a FM modulator in their car with an I-Pod or similar???? Just wondering what the quality is like etc etc???

Reply #146440 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Used to use an iTrip with my iPod - worked fine until the thing fried in the heat. If you have the option to use a direct cable, do that instead - less screwing around trying to find an available frequency. You'd be surprised at how much of the FM band is used in Adelaide when you actually go looking for a clean patch.

Reply #146445 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Yeah but in the Nations Capital they have quite a bit of unused FM frequencies. (They like both sorts of music, Country and Western.....)

Reply #146454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can i hook my grammaphone with its cylinder vinyl records up to an amp?

Reply #146456 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It's true, we have three mainstream FM stations, 104.7 (younger generation), 106.3 (older farts) and Triple J.

104 and 106 are owned by Austereo so they are run by the same management out of the same build and Triple J is shite.

Everything else is hillbilly in-bred tree hugging rubbish.

Reply #146486 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nutwork, Ghostbusters isn't THAT bad, surely? ;)

Reply #146503 | Report this post

IT-Girl  
Years ago

The FM thingys for the ipods seem to work best with cars that have an antenna at the front or front side.

One of our cars (a big ford AWD thing), has an arial at the back, in the middle. Dosnt matter if you sit front or lay in the back the reception is crap; but worth the price in any car with a front mounted antenna, but I have to agree, go the cord connection if you can.

Nothing like pushing it in all the way!

Reply #146703 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Ah the memories, love this thread.
Edison Cylinders, Mono, celluloid, black & white, vacuum tubes, the 1 power point house.
Guys, my long-term memories kicked back in.
Thank you everyone. : ) : )
Bugga, where's my freak'n bed pan?

Reply #164303 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754