Isaac
Years ago

New Lightning assistant: Scott Ninnis

Looks like Ninny's got girl germs!

Vince Marino, the owner of the Link Lightning WNBL team, is pleased to confirm that Scott Ninnis will join the Lightning coaching team of Chris Lucas (Head Coach) and Marcus Wong (Assistant Coach) for the 2007/2008 season, which commences in Perth on Saturday, 6 October.

Full announcement

He replaces John Gillies who is stepping down due to increased work commitments.

Boti has something on the announcement also:
"I've never coached women before and to be honest, I was quite shocked to be asked," [Ninnis] said last night .

An old quote: "I'd rather be hitting myself in the head with a hammer than watching women's basketball" springs to mind.

"I'm not sure that's exactly what I said but you mellow with time," Ninnis said.

Full article

Topic #12579 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Is this Ninnis filling up the resume so when the Sixers job becomes vacant he can just walk right in?

Great move by the Lightning, fantastic coach and guy, should give the girls some great insights.

Reply #146424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why? There's no bodysuits anymore!

Reply #146426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be interesting to see if he can keep a straight face when he yells out "Box Out!" from the sidelines.

Reply #146431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Plenty of holes in the defence!"

Reply #146432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Attack the split line"

Reply #146434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad luck to other coaches of the womens game, unfknblvbl!

Reply #146436 | Report this post

mmm bush  
Years ago

Well done for Scott but would have been nice to see a current womens ABL coach to get the gig.

Reply #146437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If scott is committed to Women's Basketball I think this will be a great move by Marino.

However... Too many men use women's basketball to beef their CV and dont give a Rats Ass about the women's game.
I hope Scott is not one of these coaches and will be around the women's game for years to come.

On another note I am surprised that Chris Lucas' frail ego can handle a personality like Scott's around the court. Look for Chris to be looking over his shoulder at every turn for the next in line for the lightning's big job

Reply #146438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Swing it and go backdoor."

Reply #146439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Rotate on the penetration!"

Reply #146441 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Sorry is it school holiday time already?

Name a coach in the women's abl that is a better credentialed coach than Scotty

Reply #146442 | Report this post

Pulteney 82  
Years ago

Don't allow middle penetration

Reply #146446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half time - change ends

Reply #146447 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Someone who doesnt watch Womens basketball and thinks it is a joke should not be appointed as an assistant.

Reply #146459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Stuff it in the hole"

Reply #146460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the $ may come in handy also. I'm not suggesting it would be a lot, but the academy on its own wouldn't be paying the bills. What happened with the dragons - did they reach an agreement on this year's contract in the end.

Reply #146463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should add that Ninnis could well be the crucial link in the Lightning's quets for a title. From a basketball perspective he will be invaluable.

I'm also guessing that managing WNBL players may be a bit different to managing NBL players. This is the one area where the Lightning need to ensure the right people are in place because with that roster it will be hard to keep everyone happy.

Reply #146465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul,
Not quite sure where you got the impression Ninnis thinks Womens basketball is a joke apart from a line from Boti himself that he no doubt thought was quite funny.
Don't be a shit stirring tool!

Reply #146470 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Ninnis is the kind of guy that will fit in anywhere. The women players will love him just like the men did.

Reply #146472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just not too much I hope ;)

Reply #146481 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

does that make ninnis a bisexual coach, doing the lightning and academy

Reply #146493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another massive progress by Vince and team
Gotta be impressed with his desire to make this successful

Reply #146516 | Report this post

wind squall  
Years ago

yes it is pretty hard not to want to get on the band wagon -
cant wait for the season

when does wilkins arrive ???

Reply #146518 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:26 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754