Kent Brockman
Years ago

Under the basket charge / block call

Interesting thing i picked up reading through the release on nbl.com re the rule of taking a charge under the bucket.

"NEW DIRECTION

Player under or behind the basket

The long held but undocumented "interpretation" that restricts the legality of a player who positions himself under or behind the basket has been reconsidered. Currently it is understood that an offensive player who charges into the defensive player who is under the basket and makes the shot will not be called for an offensive foul; if however he misses the shot or passes the ball he will be called for a charge. This "interpretation" does not appear in the FIBA rule book or in any approved NBL variation to FIBA rules.

As such the NBL directs that this "interpretation" and its implications are no longer to be observed.

The implications to this decision are:

· A player is entitled to take a legal position under or behind the basket as with any other position on the court.

· Any player who illegally contacts an opponent who has established a legal position under or behind the basket will be assessed in a similar manner to any other position on the court.

· The referee will then need to determine whether the ball has left the offensive players hand prior to contact being made in order to judge whether the made basket will count as in all other similar situations."

I think this will take something away from the game. The NBA introduced the dotted line to enable players to attack the rim with confidence and pull of some great dunks which we all want to see.

Why do we have to revert to a situation that endangers players and possible leads to players being tunneled in the air by flop friendly d trying to gain position under the basket?

Also will the clarification bleed down to club social ranks?

Topic #12590 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

This is just silly, it means guys like Boucher will just camp under the basket and get charges called all day.

Why on earth have they made this move?

Reply #146534 | Report this post

HardMan  
Years ago

This is SOFT!!!

Reply #146537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The floppers are gonna love this (yes you Scans!)

Reply #146539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This is just silly, it means guys like Boucher will just camp under the basket and get charges called all day."

Only if guys charge into them!! Just pull up and shoot a short range J...

Reply #146540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they cant get to a spot in front of the hoop in time, they wont be getting to the new spots either.

Reply #146543 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Welcome to the National Biatch League...

can it get any softer???

Reply #146549 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

The previous ruling was never a rule. It was a made up undocumented thing. Call it as it is stated in the rules. That is the way is always used to be. Won't change the game - might make players get more control and take away the abaility for referees to say the player was under the hoop that is why I called nothing.

Reply #146550 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Its not a full on dunk unless you do it in traffic.

Need the SMARTS not just the HOPS

Reply #146552 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Anything that encourages players to put their body on the line and "take one for the team" is a good rule IMO - let's see more players getting hammered for the good of a charge I say

Reply #146553 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

The "rule" was in place to encourage players making athletic moves to the basket. You won't see as many blokes driving through the lane & making athletic plays at the hoop if they're fearful of getting whistled for an offensive foul.

The reason the NBA has the "no-charge" semi-circle is to promote players attacking the rim. It's about the entertainment value of such moves, as opposed to shooting a short range J, as suggested above.

IMO, I'd rather them go the way of the NBA. Everyone can see that you can't be called for a charge in the area under the rim & it makes it easier to police for the officials.

Anything discouraging forays to the basket from the athletes of the game is a poor move, IMO.

Reply #146561 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

So they've gone back to the way it used to be removing a rule that was never in place.

The one thing I hate to see is a big guy trying to get a charge instead of going for a block or conttesting the shot and this rule only encourages the bigs to go for even more charges.

Now we will see more contact under the basket and probably more uncalled contact than before - why? because the ref's will go with the leave room for a player to land etc etc.

I would love to see a league (any league) trial a no charge zone in the entire key!
This would force the big guys and defenders in general to do what they should be doing - contesting shots!!!

Reply #146563 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Get rid of the atheletes and get good basketballers

Reply #146572 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

IMO the NBL should adopt the NBA circle to stop this problem.
But, as the article stated, this was NEVER A RULE. It was never, according to the NBL, in any rule book or interpretation sheet.
So where did the referees get the ruling from? It's not something they invented because it was being called at all levels.
Maybe the SA Rules Interpreter (if there still is one) can answer this question with an honest/accurate reply?
In the mean time the NBL will instruct referees to call a charge/block where applicable.
If you read the article further the following are the gurus who have made the decision!!
The Games Committee is composed of Harmison, Pat Tilden (NBL Referees Manager), Dr. Adrian Hurley (former NBL and national coach), Lindsay Gaze (former NBL and national coach), Andrew Gaze (former NBL and Boomers player), Steve Carfino (NBL Hall of Fame Player and Fox Sports Commentator) and Michael Haynes (Basketball Australia Community Basketball General Manager).

Reply #146577 | Report this post

Lotus  
Years ago

Kent Brockman, how does this law affect you. Have you ever been within 3 feet of the basket? I am positive you have never taken a charge! Well not without flopping. And you can't get whistled shooting a 3. ;)

Reply #146600 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Are we handing out basketball to just anyone these days????

I drum up quality humour day in and day out around this place and all i get is a slap in the face.

Reply #146605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is crazy.

Reply #146609 | Report this post

Stadium Monkey  
Years ago

I agree it's crazy!

Kent Brockman calling his posts humorous...crazy indeed!!!!

:)

Reply #146614 | Report this post

Neville Nobody  
Years ago

As far as I know Trevor Baker is still the SA Rules Interpreter. However he does not read this site very often, but it contains so much garbage from faceless and gutless people.

Reply #146622 | Report this post

Frog 71  
Years ago

I think the 'new direction' which will cause the most raised eye brows will be all the travels getting called.

Now the guy going for the dunk needs to not travel AND not run in to the guy standing in under the hoop!

Reply #146627 | Report this post

Stadium Monkey  
Years ago

In other words they need to do it LEGALLY

Reply #146639 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Neville Nobody.
Do you include yourself as a faceless gutless person posting garbage. I don't believe my comments were garbage. And if you know Trevor maybe you should get him to post a reply to the question.

Reply #146651 | Report this post

So will a new tactic be, leave a guy straight under the basket, effectively allowing the other team no layups?

Reply #146684 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Honestly, how often is this going to affect play in an average game? When was the last time Brett Maher ran smack into someone with good defensive position after completing a lay-up? I think you would be lucky if this ruling changed one decision every five games.

Reply #146693 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:10 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754