Andrew
Years ago

NH - Shane Warne's 50 greatest cricketers

In The Times in England, over the pasy few days, Shane Warne has, in groups of 10, done a bit of a countdown of the 50 greatest cricketers he has played with or against. Warney's list - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cricket/article2337428.ece - has created a bit of a stir ... he has ranked Tim May ahead of the likes of Waqar Younis, Justin Langer, Kapil Dev and Allan Donald.

Most notably, Warney has created a bit of talk by ranking Steve Waugh only the 26th greatest cricketer he has played with or against.

Warney has rated Boof Lehmann, Brett Lee, Stephen Fleming, Martin Crowe and David Boon all higher than S Waugh so far, with Warney's top 20 still to come. There's obviously something more to it.

In his not-overly flattering assessment of his former skipper, Warne says: "to me he was a match-saver rather than a match-winner", "There were also times when he struggled against the short ball" and "Mark Taylor handed him a wonderful team" in reference to his captaincy record.

For what it's worth, I am predicting, in no particular order, Warney's top 20 to consist of the following names:

McGrath, Ponting, Gilchrist, M. Waugh, Hayden, Border (Aust), Flintoff (Eng), Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, Kumble (India), Wasim, S. Malik (Pak), Lara, Walsh, Ambrose, Richardson (W.I.), Murali, De Silva (SL), plus one of either M Slater/M Taylor or Warney himself.

Thoughts?

Topic #12604 | Report this topic

Roseboy  
Years ago

I personally think Warne's on the mark. Steve Waugh, as great as he was, was never the most skilled player going around. Dogged, tough and won't back down, sure. Super talented? He left that to his twin who lacked so many of Steve's attributes.

Steve inherited an awesome team, no doubt. He still had to captain the team well. We've seen Punter struggle with the captaincy at times as well. And in turn, Allan Border handed the makings of a great team to Mark Taylor. Border should be considered one of the all-time best captains IMO.

Reply #147036 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

sachin is on no. 1
That's very right and I think nobody should be in Top 10 except Sachin

Reply #184259 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754