4th Spazzy
Years ago

NH - Andrew Johns - Drops bombshell

Andrew Johns has just admitted on the Sydney footy show that he has been taking recreational drugs for the past 10 years - Bit sad really!

He is a true champion in rugby League!

Topic #12613 | Report this topic

Fezlington  
Years ago

Im sure Andrew Johns isnt the only one out there who has done it, and i sure as hell dont think he will be the last

Its called too much money

They get paid big bucks....what else are they gonna waste it on

His lucky he didnt have a Heart Attack while playing on the stuff

What a fool....IMO

Reply #146770 | Report this post

Doesn't that just sum up rugby. One of the leagues all time best admits to 10 years of drug taking. can this sport sink any lower

Reply #146771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no lower than the afl, ben cousins?
rugby union, wendel sailor?
cricket, shane warne?

oh and basketball, james harvey?

Reply #146774 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

From the looks of things, bombshells arent all joeys dropping!

Reply #146775 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

ELG that was a pretty silly comment, League has a better drug testing setup than the AFL, from what I believe each league player is tested after each game.

League is no worse than the AFL, NBL or any other sport.

Reply #146783 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Why is anyone Supprised???

Its not just the Bulldogs culture its the whole Country

Reply #146785 | Report this post

Mahatma Cote  
Years ago

Bizzy If they know they are getting tested after each game then it actually makes it easier to not get caught.

This is just the start of a long list to come of AFL / NRL players that will own up after they retire.

Reply #146789 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Recreational drugs, not performance enhancing at least.

I struggle to understand what Johns had to gain from making this announcement - seems foolish to me. Just comes clean for no apparent reason at all

Nice call Dr B!

Thought the "an unknown person pushed it into my jeans at a busy nightclub" story was hilarious

Reply #146791 | Report this post

Astor 90  
Years ago

bizzy - i think you'll find that incorrect. Joey's said today that he was tested only 17 times over his career, story here.

The AFL drugs policy on the other hand far exceededs the requirement of AFDA (?? anti doping agency?) by testing for ellicit drugs.

Reply #146798 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I don't think he said anything about using during a game, just during the season when testing was occuring on occasions..

I can't believe the hoopla surrounding it, do people not realise just how much rec drugs are available and used in society??
Just because someone plays sport they would not do drugs???

Good on him for being honest and a man about it..

Reply #146799 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Good on him for being honest i say .

If you look at the AFL's greatest players of the modern era it would be the same story , guaranteed .

G Ablett has had lifelong battles including a girl overdosing on him after a 3 day binge .

There are plenty of other similar situations that i know of but obviously cannot broadcast due to legal complications .

The point that needs to be discussed is that IMO most , not all recreational drugs can be either be directly performance enhancing or enhance the mind-body state that leads to an overall , elevated performance .

There is also the belief that if you are using say , ice , coke , and e regularly then you may be more likely to agree to a little HGH or EPO to up the performance .

These are dangerous combinations , obviously , but most would be surprised at how many elite athletes would have used all 5 mentioned .
And , more surprised at who had used them .

Reply #146800 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

The story goes as told by the Sun Herald....(so it must be true)

He only fessed up after being caught at a London airport and being taken into custody.

Reply #146803 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

True sturty , so i guess his honesty was a tad forced yah !

Reply #146804 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Is Candice Falzone a recreational drug? Rumour is that she's been taken a few times.

Despite the admissions abound, the dectection rate is pretty low and the prosecution rate even lower both within the sport and society.

The average joe biding life in a South East Asian prison must somehow marvel ant the famous "Joey" playing a sympathy angle on will amount to slight embarrassment at best.

Reply #146805 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Slight embarassment Sween? Not so sure about that. For starters, he has already been axed by the ARU as any possibility of joining the Wallabies for kicking tutorage.

I would say that he will lose a sh*t load in endorsements and sponsorship opportunities.

His kids will cop it at school etc etc

Reply #146809 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I agree with DB5. The media report the issue like it's so unbelieveable that a sportsperson would dare drop a pill or snort a line or two.

These drugs are MAINSTREAM now. Kids are dropping pills at their high school formals now. I guarantee the Alma is full of young eatsern suburbs chicks off their face on a Saturday.

(note to self: go to Alma this Saturday)

The shock I saw on Gary Lion's face last night when he heard about Johns' drug taking just shows that some people have no idea about how accepted recreational drug use is in Australia. I think Johns' matter-of-fact recount of his drug taking is more an accurate reflection of how common it is. The same applies to AFl, although I genuinely believe there is less of a problem than 5-6 years ago - there is just more detection now.

Gone are the days where many a Port/Crows player (including the Roo) where seen at Rise after 6am.

Reply #146811 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Lockstock - in regards to why he owned up to everything - I got the impression last night watching the interview that Johns was almost relieved this was now out in the open for him. It looked as though he has thought about the ramifications (loss of sponsorship, kids etc etc) of telling all, and decided that he could no longer run away from the issue at hand. Hopefully now he can address the drugs/alcohol issues that he has and also continue to address the other issues in his life that made him feel compelled to use such drugs.

Reply #146816 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Lockstock,
I dont think John's kids will unduly suffer at school any more than their capability to protect themselves in the manner that kids have done for time infinetum. They'll probably be more famous now.

I See John's financials as a temp. loss. He has skills that atre in demand, just as prominent models, actors, lawyers, bikies etc. Willing to bet that someone(s) continue to feather Joey's nest quite soon. He'll probably have a Kate Moss rest for a while.

Reply #146818 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Personally, I think someone that makes a mistake(s) and then is man enough to put their hand up and say, "um, hey it was me, I f@$%ed up, but I am willing to admit it" is even more worth having as a speaker etc, seems like the media will do their best to shatter that theory, and prob Johns' credibility...

Whatever happened to honesty is the best approach...

Reply #146821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes drugs are pretty much mainstream now..... however DOES IT MAKE IT RIGHT to take them when we are trying to get the younger generation to understand the ramifications of taking drugs?

Reply #146822 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Sween

He's going to have a 'broomstick in a dress' sleep for a while?

Reply #146825 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

People aren't saying that taking them is ok, they are just saying that it is an unfortunate fact that recreational drugs are becoming a major part of society. It is extremely sad that it is indeed happening but when you're 18-22 and have all this money without support in place what do you spend the money on?

Reply #146827 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Sturty,
Someone did some fairly good wittling on the broomstick that is Kate.

Reply #146838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would it be fair to say that doing rec. drugs has far less impact on the body afterwards than a big night on the piss would have? Being an athlete this may be a reason for choosing this path rather than the more socially accepted alcohol road.

Reply #146846 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Fair call anon, drinking water all night is always better on the skin fold tests than drinking alcohol all night....

Reply #146854 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anon - not sure if its the right thing to say "far less impact", but certainly a different impact that may be easier to mask as an athlete who needs to show up for training/recovery etc.

Also, by saying drugs are mainstream, I'm not saying they are right. Emos are mainstream, and I hate them and want them to die.

But, it is absolutely the case that these footy players are being hung out to dry for a problem that is most likely less of an issue in footy than it is in the rest of society, all because of a VOLUNTARY testing system that relies on confidentiality that has been shown to be a joke.

I was merely commenting on the fact that people seem genuinely surprised at the various drug "scandals" involving footy players, whereas I am not.

Reply #146886 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Cmon folks, get over it, we celebrate Boony's 52 cans (apologies 52cans)...we have sports stars promoting pubs...alcohol...and all manner of crap, we have adverts telling kids to by grog for fathers day.

Grow up! Alcohol is the biggest problem in society today causes more death..violence and injury than anything else and its legal and encouraged???

if its not performance enhancing, we have no right to know if an athlete is using...nor should we care. If you want to ban recreational drugs...START BY BANNING ALCOHOL !!

Reply #147051 | Report this post

p  
Years ago

Watch the media say in a couple of weeks that andrew johns is cured....cause once who have bipolar you have it for life. there is nothing wrong with him thay are just still trying to cover him.

Reply #147151 | Report this post

JohnEmm  
Years ago

Reply #147219 | Report this post

rox  
Years ago

its obvious none of you have any clue what its like 2 suffer from bipolar illness let alone any mental illness. for andrew 2 come out to the public and tell that he is bipolar is a big thing.

Reply #147248 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754