Isaac
Years ago

NBL Wooden Spoon - Your Pick?

Just a day to go until the NBL season tips off. What's your pick for the NBL wooden spoon this season?

I think it really has to come down to Wollongong or Singapore. Singapore for the spoon.

Hawks: Kench, Tait, Franklin, Campbell, Castle, Rigby, Peters, Philip, Davidson, Tragardh. One quality import, one unknown import who has ability but could coast; OK vets in Campbell and Rigby, and then young guys who are yet to make a significant splash in the league. New coach, and only three of those guys played together for the Hawks last year.

Slingers: Helms, Grizzard, Knight, Cameron, Janev, Fitzsimons?, Koon, Wong, who else? Decent coach, and have an allowance for a third import from Asia, but may suffer from all the travel.

Anyone else likely to challenge either of these teams for bottom spot?

Topic #12781 | Report this topic

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Depends on each team's pyschographics, I think, Isaac.

'Pyschographics' is undoubtedly my new favourite word since it popped up in the Hummer announcement - I have no idea what it means and I suspect neither does Burton. But by golly it sounds impressive.

In fact, I think because it's such a nonsense word, it can be used in just about any situation, ie:

John Casey: Skip pass to Dench on the wing... the Former Rookie of the Year penetrates and goes upstairs to throw it down with a simply psychographical finish!

Boy Goorj: Hey, hey! We need to keep grinding it out, out there - we can't afford to be psychographical.

PS Singapore for the spoon.

Reply #148910 | Report this post

Ryno  
Years ago

Gold Coast for me... Especially if Joyce Jnr plays minutes...

Reply #148916 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Razorbacks and Blaze will also be in the chase for the last spot.

Slingers reply on 2 imports and Knight to win.

Razorbacks rely on young inexperienced shooters and ref not fouling them off for agressive play.

Blaze reply on Dads Army and not running ABC team too much.

Reply #148917 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wow I must be boring

'psy·cho·graph
n. A graphic representation or chart of the personality traits of an individual or group.'

They actually make graphs of personality traits of cars and sporting leagues? Damn those psychologists must have less to do than me...

Reply #148920 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KC, good assessment re Pigs, but I think they will have enough spirit about them to get them over a few sides.

Blaze have the names, but I reckon they might be a bit flat. Still, should be enough for them to beat these other sides who just don't have the horses.

Reply #148924 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Singapore for me.

Reply #148929 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Ryno - hahaha, great call. He would have to be perhaps the worst player to lodge NBL minutes ever.

Razorbacks for me. They'll stink

Reply #148931 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Woolongong are going to be joke.

Sixers by 20 Friday

Reply #148933 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Woolongong.. ( I can't wait 'til friday..sixers by plenty, will be good to watch)

Reply #148935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixers

Reply #148948 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

Free throws ... Lowery.. Bounce bounce bounce X 25 etc.......HAWKS

Reply #148949 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Can't go past Singapore for the wooden spoon by a country mile.

Didn't know what "psychographics" was either - so - compliments of wikipedia:

In the field of marketing, demographics, opinion research, and social research in general, psychographic variables are any attributes relating to personality, values, attitudes, interests, or lifestyles. They are also called IAO variables (for Interests, Attitudes, and Opinions). They can be contrasted with demographic variables (such as age and gender), and behavioral variables (such as usage rate or loyalty).

When a relatively complete assessment of a person or group's psychographic make-up is constructed, this is called a psychographic profile. Psychographic profiles are used in market segmentation and advertising.

Some categories of psychographic factors used in market segmentation include:

Social class
Lifestyle
Behavior

Reply #148951 | Report this post

Buns of Steel  
Years ago

Cant go past the Slingers, plus I tip it to be their last year. My prediction is that they pull out 3 rounds from the finish of the season.

Reply #148960 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Singapore all the way, wont be in the comp next season

Reply #148969 | Report this post

Ryno  
Years ago

Singapore will be around next year and will be taking a cerain someone from close to home!!!!

Reply #148990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bo Hamburger found out what Psychographics means.....
Is a term, which describes peoples psychological, as distinct from physical characteristics. Psychographics identify personality characteristics and attitudes that affect a person's lifestyle and purchasing behaviour.
just some useless info for us all!!

Reply #148993 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

psy·cho·graph·ics
the use of demographics to determine the attitudes and tastes of a particular segment of a population, as in marketing studies.

Reply #149157 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

It belongs in a marketing textbook, not a public statement. Just use a simple word like 'profile' that dolts like me can get a mental handle on.

If Burton really does understand the 'psychographics' of NBL fans, then he wouldn't have used the word. It's almost a paradox.

Mind you, I'll take back every bad word I've said about Burton and his 'psychographics' if, as part of the deal, teams can ride to and from venues together on America's Next Top Model-type stretch Hummers:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Reply #149208 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Singapore

Reply #149347 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754