Isaac
Years ago

Logan Thunder join the WNBL

SEQ BACK IN WOMEN'S NATIONAL BASKETBALL LEAGUE

South East Queensland is set to make a return to the Australian Defence Force Women's National Basketball League after a break of 10 years.

Brisbane-based basketball association Logan Thunder has won the new license and subject to certain sponsorship assurances and achieving financial milestones required by Basketball Australia they will be suiting up to play in September 2008.

Basketball Australia Chief Executive Scott Derwin said the new franchise would play a key part in making the Australian Defence Force WNBL a truly national championship.

"As Australia's third largest city and the country's fastest growing region it was essential that Brisbane and South East Queensland were once again represented in the national competition," Mr. Derwin said.

"We have been in talks with Logan Basketball for the past 18 months and have been impressed with their enthusiasm and professional efforts to get a team up and running.

"At this point we have granted them a conditional license only and their entry into the competition will be dependent on them reaching certain financial milestones.

"We understand it has been difficult for them to sign sponsors when they didn't even have a license to play.

"Now they have an official letter to say they are in the competition if sponsorship backing is forthcoming."

Ex-National Basketball League star and Australian Boomer Mark Dalton has been the prime mover and shaker behind the bid.

Dalton, a 432 game NBL veteran, with 92 games for the National Team, has been appointed General Manager of the team to be known as Logan Thunder.

"It has been a goal of mine for the past seven years to see a new women's team playing out of Brisbane," Dalton said.

"I have been involved with junior basketball here in Brisbane for a number of years and the female talent that is coming through is truly exciting.

"Unfortunately, since 1998 they have had to leave town to play on a WNBL team.

"We are the world champions in women's basketball, Lauren Jackson is the best player in the world and basketball is booming, yet one of the largest cities in the country wasn't represented in the national competition."

The Logan Thunder will play their inaugural season at the Insport Stadium at Cornubia in Brisbane's south before moving to a new $18million state of the art complex at Browns Plains for the start of the 2009 season.

Logan Mayor Graham Able said the Thunder's inclusion in a national women's competition was one of the biggest sporting announcements ever to be made in the city.

"We have backed the Thunder consortium in their bid from day one and the new Metro Stadium's design had already been upgraded to handle Thunder's expected entry into the WNBL," he said.

"I suppose in a way we gambled on them going into the competition, but we knew the strength of the bid just couldn't be ignored.

"It's wonderful for the city of Logan to have a national sporting team identity and I am sure we will draw capacity crowds to the Metro Stadium to support them in 2009."

Logan Thunder WNBL is a not for profit community based organisation.

A naming rights sponsor, coaches, team logo and colours will be unveiled in the near future.

That makes three new teams added to the league in one year - will be tough for them to find talent, surely?

Topic #12809 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few of this year's lightning girls might be tempted by the thought of better weather and more court time next year.

Reply #149250 | Report this post

Giraffe 68  
Years ago

There is definatly enough talent, the problem may be in enticing them to be semi-professional. The lure of the sun and possible job opportunties (that good sporting clubs are able to offer) should be enough for the Thunder to pull together a team.

Qld has been producing quite a number of good young players over the past few years as well, which i guess is a base of players they are looking to secure.

Reply #149258 | Report this post

borat  
Years ago

we want team from kazakstan now !

Reply #149266 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Sept 08! not 3 teams in one year is it?

Reply #149353 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My mistake - though I did say that they were added to the league, not that they would commence playing. ;)

Reply #149354 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Honestly - I will give the next franchise to join either the NBL or WNBL a prize if they can come up with a nickname that ends with an 's'.

The prize will be a free psychographical appraisal, to be conducted by NBL supremo Mr R. Burton.

Reply #149356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Christchurch Sirens ???

Reply #149367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't wait for the Lightning vs Thunder games. lol.

Reply #149375 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Screw Thunder, ditch that and become the Logan Berries.

In fact screw Logan ... The Frankston of Quensland, They should be called South Queensland and while they're at it, Townsville should be renamed North Queensland or .....

Near Q and Far Q - I offer this up as a psychographical option, patrticularly considering the marketing potential should Townsville choose to be renamed. Walshy at commentary can have a field day.

Reply #149380 | Report this post

borat  
Years ago

one guess on their intro song

AC/DC "thunderstruck"

Reply #149650 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:03 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754