Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Harmison confirmed as NBL CEO

It's official: we have a man named Chuck running the NBL. Apparently it's an interim thing - they're waiting on the review before deciding what they're going to do long-term.

Announcement on the BA site; Q & A on the NBL site.

The Q & A is illuminating reading, IMO:

On the deal with Hummer:

...it was a last minute thing... I met the CEO for the group, Parveen Batish, up on the Gold Coast for the first game and he is a basketball man. He is very involved in the game at a junior level and it is going to be fun to sit with him at games and talk tactics and strategy.

On the Slingers:
I think it will be successful. We rushed that decision a little bit, we didn't really give the opportunity for the Slingers to get in there and do the ground work probably 12 or 15 months before we played our first game there. That kind of put them on the back foot in their first year.

On the future of the NBL:
I really see the next five years, if we get things right, it could be another growth phase for us. We went through a huge growth period in the 80's and early 90's, it came back and lost a bit of traction in the late 90's and 2000's, but I think we are on the climb back up. Whether we ever get back to where we were in the mid 80's I am not sure because the whole sporting entertainment landscape has changed dramatically...

Topic #12905 | Report this topic

Buns of Steel  
Years ago

1: Make Eddie Groves CEO, he might as well be!

2: No kidding on the Slingers Chuck; The NBL admitting they got it wrong, brilliant!

3: Chuck meant to say "its going to be fun driving a Hummer this season"

4: Lets enjoy the NBL while it lasts.

Reply #150395 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754