jules
Years ago

Shawn Marion wants out of Phoenix

'I'm tired of hearing my name in trades,' Marion said by phone from his Chicago home Tuesday night. 'I love my fans in Phoenix but I think it's time for me to move on.'

"There are two known trade suitors in the Utah Jazz (for Andrei Kirilenko, if not others) and the Los Angeles Lakers (for Lamar Odom and a teammate), with Marion showing an interest in the latter because of a friendship with Kobe Bryant."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0925marion-ON.html

Topic #12925 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Surely the Laker deal would be the better for Phoenix as they are similar styled players

Reply #150397 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

NOOOOOOOOOOO :-( One more run Marion!!

Reply #150406 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

And thus ends the Suns run at the 'Ship, ooops I mean the conference finals.

Reply #150408 | Report this post

Say no to lamar odom, phoenix

Reply #150442 | Report this post

David Kerr  
Years ago

Marion for Odom, Marion for Howard at least..
He is crazy! friendship with Bryant (won't equate to good assists? Like he gets from Nash). Isn't he friends with the Nash man? Doesn't he know like everyone else Bryant is a ball hog..

Reply #150446 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

He probably knows that Kobe is one of the, if not the most, dedicated and competitive player in the entire league. No player on 16 million will not get enough shots no matter who he plays with.

Reply #150457 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Matrix is also seeking an extension for around the $60 mill mark over 3 years...

He's not a $20 mill a season guy.

Reply #150464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope he doesnt come to lakers. Wont be anywhere near the same player without nash around and he doesnt have the one on one skills or passing skills that Lamar does, plus his defense is majorly overated.

Reply #150479 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Send em Odom and Radmanovic i reckon

Marion would provide better numbers than the 2 combined, and atleast give the Lakers another scorer

Reply #150480 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I'm sick of hearing this whole 'he won't be any good without Nash' talk. He was an All-star, 20 and 10 guy before Steve even arrived in PHX. Amare's the one who would suffer the most without Steve around.

Shawn always gets shot down for not being able to create his own shot and the like, but first of all, he doesn't need to be able to. His D is exceptional (it's a joke he's never been in an all-defensive team at all in his career), he's a great rebounder and one the best finishers in the game. And second, although he may not be able to create his own shot in classical ways, he can get to the hole with ease (just watch games from the 05-06 season) for little banks and dunks and he has great positioning on offense, whether it be on the break or in the half-court.

Anyway, hopefully both Shawn and the Suns can come to some sort of agreement, I'd hate to think what would happen if he left and even more so if he went to the Lakers and teamed up with Kobe.

Reply #150485 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Marion's number were just as good when Nash was at Dallas. Nash is an outstanding point guard, but Matrix's number are similar when Marbury was running the point and Barbosa's starting after the trade.

Nash rejoined the Suns in the 04/05 season...

02/03 - Marion: 21.2ppg / 9.5rpb / 1.2bpg / 2.3spg
03/04 - Marion: 19.0ppg / 9.3rpb / 1.3bpg / 2.1spg

04/05 - Marion: 19.4ppg / 11.3rbp / 1.5bpg / 2.0spg
05/06 - Marion: 21.8ppg / 11.8rpb / 1.7bpg / 2.0spg

Increase in scoring for the 05/06 would be the additional court time he received (extra 2.0mpg).

The player that benefited the most from Nash was Stoudamire. He bumped up his scoring average to 26.0 from 20.6ppg.

Reply #150486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, Kobe is an exceptional passer who is willing to give the ball (6 assists on a team with no shooters or reliable finishers is quite good), also note his unselfishness at the FIBA games recently. So would people please stop basing thier opinions on what kobe was like when he was 21 and realise that, just like Jordan his game has matured with age.

twenty four
you said that marion doesnt need to be able to create his won shot, but at the lakers he obviously would, and secondly hes not an exceptional defender, he gets lots of steal and blocks but his lockdown defence suffers as a result, just because he can gaurd lots of positions doesnt mean hes a great defender. People need to realise that hes an exceptional slasher who can finish and rebound well, and thats about it.

Reply #150492 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Anon, if you read on you would see that I said he can score on his own if need be. Granted, lots of what does comes as a result of good ball movement, but he can get off his own shot never the less. I watched a couple of games from the 06 season (without Amare) and couldn't believe the way Shawn played. Pretty much whenever he wanted to, he could get off a little runner or pull-up and knock down the mid-range jumper. Classic example of what he can do was the game vs the Spurs this year when Amare was serving his suspension, Trix ended up with something like 24/17.

As for his D, while your probably right that he isn't a typical 'lockdown defender', he can guard players straight up pretty decently and I really don't think his D is overrated. In fact, that he hasn't been on any all-defensive teams shows that if anything, it's underrated.

Reply #150494 | Report this post

I think he's a great defender. Better than Odom thats for sure.

if phoenix trade marion for odom i think i'm going to start going for portland. Get on the bandwagon early

Reply #150557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont see why your talking about amare, of course marion would be better without him around.

Odom would be a beast at Phoenix

Reply #150712 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Was that last post directed at me, Anon? I'm not even saying that Shawn is better without Amare (because that's a given). Just that when he has the opportunities to score, he can in a multitude of ways, not just from Nash setting him up.

As for Odom being a beast in PHX...I won't get into specifics because I really can't be bothered, but I'd doubt he would much more than he is now.

Reply #150841 | Report this post

Nathan  
Years ago

I've long thought that Marion was a solid NBA player, but no way in hell should a team fork over valuable money for this guy. He is not a team player. He proves it time and again with his bleating about lack of respect for his skills. Case in point, would phoenix be better with Bruce Bowen at SF instead of Marion? Oh hell yeah. Last time i checked Bowen was a steal and certainly not asking for max contracts. Marion wants to get paid, period. Success is not on his agenda.

Reply #151628 | Report this post

No one in the league would have Bowen over marion. Lets not forget Bowen does play with Duncan. Marion doesnt have a C grabbing boards and blocking shots.

Reply #151641 | Report this post

Nathan  
Years ago

Ok, marion would be picked in a draft well before bowen, but for the phoenix team right now, bowen is going to fit better in the team than marion, at half the price. He would also offer much more off the court. Marion wants more stats so he can demand bigger money, a trade to the lakers he would love coz his stats would boom and he would command cash. To hell with winning. We fans forget that this is just a job to some of these guys, period.
Jazz are having the same trouble with AK-47. Here is a guy that was "the man" for a couple of years, stats boomed, all star appearance, now he is the fourth option in offence and won't be able to cash in, hence trade request.

Reply #151695 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

are u a close personal friend of marions nathan? did he tell you he only plays for money? that all he wants to do is get big numbers? is that where your getting that idea from?

Reply #151699 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Nathan, if you think Bowen would be a better fit in PHX than Marion, than you clearly don't watch much basketball. Bruce Bowen would suck in PHX. All he is a defender who can knock down spot up 3's. That's it. He's been lucky to find a system he can fit in and play a valuable role. Hell, Raja Bell is almsot the same player as Bruce is, with more offensive skills and athleticism. The two starting on the same team would be pointless.

Reply #151710 | Report this post

Nathan  
Years ago

I really hate sounding like a wet blanket, but players in the NBA want to get paid. anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. Garnett wants a ring.... yeah, now he does, his first prioroty was to secure a contract so big it forced them to trade their young gun point guard (marbury) which then constricted their payroll for his entire time at min. Kemp left the sonics coz he figured they couldn't afford him and payton. Boozer to utah.. Marion wants out coz playing third fiddle to nash and amare won't get him the stats needed for a max contract.
Fact- winning is the second most important thing to NBA players.
But hey, second comes right after first right?

Reply #151796 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:24 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754