Ice
Years ago

Mike Chappell - Can he turn it around?

After watching Mike play two games now, you have to ask the questions. Is he even capable of turning it around. Is he the right player for us? How many NBL players can't knock down an open 'J' time after time, not to mention NBL imports. Answer- None!! Does not block out, plays passive D at times and does not even get a hand in his player face when they're putting a shot up. Boti has not said much about him yet (the gags must be on) but how long do we persist with our 'star', 'silky smooth' import. Silky smooth was here on Friday in the form of Dave Thomas. I'm all for Mike and would love him to be a star here, but from what he has shown he is so far from being the STAR we need him to be. Can a lack of fitness cause all that. I think not!!!

Topic #12971 | Report this topic

DICKO  
Years ago

Phil's scapegoat for this season? Just in case it all goes pear shaped?

Reply #150954 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Give him a few more games at least - some are adamant that he'll get there. Just a shame that it's that SF spot where they are the weakest otherwise they could cover more for a gradual return?

I think Farley was a legitimate issue for them last season rather than a scapegoat.

Reply #150955 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

You sure it isn't Willie in a Mike Chappell costume?????

Reply #150956 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Another casualty of Phil's 'relaxed' environment. Has a nasty habit of creeping up on you and affecting your game when nobodys pushing you.

Reply #150958 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I am also in favour of giving him another few weeks (4 max). If he does not become the import we need by that time, he needs to be replaced. As a person, Chappell is probably one of the most wonderful people you could meet, but reality is that an import in the NBL is expected to be a quality player who adds much value to the team. Being a great player of the past is not going to help his team today.

Reply #150961 | Report this post

Chappell was great when he was at NZ. However, his back looks stuffed. His posture indicated that his back would not get better quickly.

Reply #150966 | Report this post

skink  
Years ago

if he was playing like that for the kings, boy g would have already replaced him. Im in favour of giving him time to prove himself and turn it around, but the question is how long will that be. And will our seasons fate have already been decided by then.

Reply #150972 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

unfortunately at the moment there is not much foot movement, his transition is slow, and his posture has definitely changed since his last stint in the country.

however he is a quality person, and an awesome player when fit. Give him 5 weeks to show something.

Reply #150973 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

His second game was alot better then the first. He did a nice couple of drived baseline and finished one of them off nicely. the bit i noticed that was a massive improvenemt was he was actually battling down low where he couldnt in game 1. If he continues to improve week to week its all good in my opinion, we just gotta hope they can win a couple without him. You have to remember mottram has been around even less so they esentially have 2 new players not 100% fit so its going to be a struggle for a couple of weeks. Chappell has what it takes his posture is better from game 1 so heres hoping...
The thing is this, if he hit 3 or so of the 3's he put up in game 2 no one would be saying anything. Its just the entire team got pumped by a well oiled outfit and it made everyone look very poor. an obviously an import with a sore back is put under the spotlight.
lay off him until they get there grove back.

Reply #150975 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

good point igotmadskills.

if the 36ers maximised their interior options against the Melbourne trap and zone defences, preventing those defenses from stretching so big, then this post probably would not have occured.

Reply #150977 | Report this post

Ice  
Years ago

The fact still remains that this guy could not hit an open shot in two games now. It's got nothing to do with Melb's trap as all his shots came in the half court.
He cant move his feet and thus cant play and good D. Couple of time Dave Thomas went past him without even trying. let s hope he get 30 this week and the season is back on track.
PS. Don't be waiting for Phil to pull the trigger on him if he stays in this funk, becasue we all know how long it takes Phil to even call a time out to stop the rot during a game.

Reply #150986 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Isaac,

No doubt, Farley was a disappointment for you guys last season. But Phil definitely made it known as much as possible.

I'm not suggesting that he doesn't have a legitimate beef with the player, just that he's very good at pointing the focus.

Reply #150996 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Did he? I thought Boti provided more of that focus?

Reply #150999 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ice, I don't think the decision on Chappell is going to be entirely on Phil. I would say Hemmerling will be keeping a close eye on how thing develop and will step in if necessary.

Reply #151012 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Why is it that people comment on how bad they think a player is while they are comming back from a injury. Have you never seen Chappell play before, while you sit their and comment on how he cant play maybe you should do some research on his previous numbers. Fully fit he will be great for the team, give the guy a chance.

Sorry but im sick of people who are probaly overweight commenting on a sport they probably cant or dont play. If im wrong about you, just tell me when you played for what NBL team and ill gladly give you a free dinner!

Reply #151025 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Dicko, I don't recall Smyth ever making a public statement about Farley (or any other player for that matter). What happens behind closed doors is another matter, but only what you would expect from a coach.

Not saying that Smyth doesn't make his fair share of excuses (4 to 6 weeks anyone?), but they are rarely directly aimed at any one player.

Reply #151029 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

He will turn it around, and it will happen sooner than later....no worries about that.

Reply #151036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone please help me, i dont understand why phil only played Chappell for about 15-20 minutes last friday, when on court he was a much better option than Ng or Sutton and he actually looked dangerous. If he needed match practice wouldnt it be much more beneficial for him to get more court time to work on his game than to sit on the bench? If he is still injured he should not be playing at all. For me Chappell playing with one arm and leg is still better than Ng and Sutton put together!

Reply #151050 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes he can, is about one week away from being fit.

Reply #151061 | Report this post

jet plane  
Years ago

I said it on another post but Skud, it's not about your previous seasons anymore. It's a cut throat business and for a team to survive financially these days they have to win and put people in seats. Fact Chappell may be injured, but at the import spot you need more than 4 ppg. lets hope carlos powell gets cut from GSW and wants to play NBL

Reply #151077 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doubt Mal would want to spend enough to get Carlos, and I don't know that he's Phil's type. Would disrupt the team IMO.

Reply #151084 | Report this post

jet plane  
Years ago

But Mike is?

Reply #151114 | Report this post

Ice  
Years ago

Skud.
The more you write the bigger hole you dig for yourself. People only want to read intelligent comments on this site.
Your insinuation that you have to had been an NBL player to be able to comment on basketball is an absolute joke and a complete insult to some very very good ball players who have not made the NBL.

And as Jet Plane pointed out, what does it matter what Mike did previous. It's about our situation right now.

Reply #151170 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:31 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754