Anonymous
Years ago

Brett Maher - Could He Have Played NBA?

It was interesting to hear that Brett Maher didn't try extremely hard to play in the NBA. I want to know, do people think he could have played NBA had he played in Europe and taken all the necessary step to cracking a roster spot in the NBA? I think he probably might've been in with a chance.

Topic #12987 | Report this topic

Porcelain  
Years ago

He could have in his prime. Would have been a good back up point guard. Certainly worse players have played NBA.

Reply #151128 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

If Heal could make it, Maher definately could.

Probably not selfish enough though..

Glad you stayed Brett!!!!!

Reply #151130 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Perhaps caught out of position to play any sort of 1st backup role.

Not a NBA point guard and perhaps to small to play shooting guard.

Only chance would have been a specialty shooter brought in for quick burst's.

Still def had the ability but NBA for O/S players is all about oppurtunity there are many O/S in particular Euro players that are/would be good enough.

Add to that there are a heap of guards and swingman compared to genuine bigs!

Reply #151131 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

The difference between Heal and Maher was that Heal had one specific skill set he could do better, and that was shoot from range. He could shoot from a longer distance out, which was handy given where the NBA 3-pt line is and was probably better at getting a contested 3-pt shot off.

You'll always get an opportunity in the NBA if you are exceptional in one area, eg rebounding, defence, shooting.

Having said that, I know without a doubt who I'd prefer to have at the Sixers, someone who shoots at a better clip, plays better defence, can rebound, and exudes class.

Reply #151138 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Had he been given more opportunity @ the International level by Barry "Bonehead" Barnes, no doubt he could have made it to the show!

Reply #151140 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Brett had a fair bit of interest from the LA Clippers and a few other teams for a while there and would have made a much better fist of it than the Ass Hammer .
Athleticism , Unselfishness , Intangibles, and D are way above the level of Heal and i can tell you NBA range ceratinly would not bother Brett .
If Maher had 2-3 more inches he could of been a star SG in the NBA .
He is trapped in combo guard status and that is a hard one to crack in the NBA .

Reply #151147 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Heals bigest advantage is just his longer shot, its his self addiction. He is a massive ball hog, which is what stands out to NBA draft scouts.

Ofcourse unlike Heal, I think Maher would have been able to play NBA, his ability to pullup form anywhere and shoot over the tallest NBL players would certainly help him their.

Has anyone see Maher blocked??

Reply #151176 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Im not sure, He's an awesome player and has been for a long time. I personally don't think he has the same ball skills to be a PG in the NBA. I mean you take a look at some of the Euro guards in the NBA who play point guard and they excel in Europe but sometimes struggle in the NBA. Its hard to say with out watching him to see how he goes.

When you look at it. Andrew Gaze couldn't really cut it in the NBA with a couple of stints even after his stint in College where he led the NCAA in scoring and didn't even get a sniff. So goes to show you can't really tell unless he got a chance

Reply #151195 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Could easily of played back up point for 10-15 minutes a game

Reply #151210 | Report this post

Heal was the best shooter in the country, he doesn't need to pass. Thats not his job

Reply #151211 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754