Isaac
Years ago

Funny Adelaide get their revenge against Tigers

The Adelaide 36ERS tonight made amends for their previous defeat at the hands of the Melbourne Tigers, overcoming a strong first quarter from their opponent to run home 119-107 victors.

There were a lot of predictable sides to the match-up: the Sixers big three were instrumental and scored over or near their season averages, Mark Bradtke was a huge presence scoring 21 and pulling down 19 rebounds, and Andrew Gaze spent a lot of time talking to the referees. Dusty Rychart was a key with 27 points and 16 rebounds. Willie Farley had a superb last quarter to finish with 26 points and 7 assists, while Maher had a decent spread of statistics, 19 points, 6 rebounds and 7 assists.

The result came also, though, on the back of strong showings from the Adelaide support cast (David Cooper playing at his best for 13 points and 6 rebounds, Jacob Holmes improving with each quarter for 13 points and 8 rebounds, and Oscar Forman scoring 14 points at 60%) and perhaps the failing of Melbourne starter Lanard Copeland who scored 7 points at 25% in over 30 minutes.

The Tigers were the dominant team in the opening quarter, with Gaze scoring 12 and Bradtke 8, as they established a decent lead. The Sixers game plan of running the elderly Tigers into exhaustion was evident from the outset, but Melbourne capitalised on the spread Adelaide defenses and exploited confusion on switches. Brett Maher had the hot hand for the Sixers, scoring 9 for the period including a couple of seemingly impossible shots over Bradtke, but Adelaide trailed at the first break 29-37.

The tables turned in the second as Adelaide burst into motion, outscoring the visitors 32-18 and establishing what would become a game-winning lead. Rychart had 9 for the term while Cooper and Forman each scored 7 to ensure the home scoreline overtook that of their opponents. Adelaide were also strong defensively; on one play, Maher and Farley combined to strip the Tigers of an almost-certain fast break basket, threw the ball ahead to Cooper who scored, drew the foul, and made the bonus shot. That play was one score of a 9 point run from the Sixers that brought them to within 2 points of the Tigers.

The lead didn't come for a few more possessions though. First Adelaide drew level on 47 points after Forman nailed a three courtesy of a Jason Williams assist, and then Rychart scored inside for 12 points to his own name and a 49-47 scoreline. Before half-time, the tension in the Tiger camp was evident with a lot of discussions with referees and teammates bringing predictable jeers from the local crowd.

At half-time, the Sixers held a 61-55 lead (Rychart 15, Maher 14, Cooper 9; Gaze 14, Bradtke 10) despite shooting 46% to the Tigers 51%.

The third quarter saw Rychart scoring quickly to advance his personal tally and push the Sixers lead. The highlight for the quarter was undoubtedly his alley-oop pass to Farley who managed a strong left-handed dunk for the Fox Sports cameras. A time-out to the Tigers did nothing to stem the local advantage with the crowd volume increasing for a Forman three, a dunk to Cooper and then Holmes managing the last score of the quarter. Adelaide 87, Melbourne 78. Interesting to note that neither Maher or Gaze scored for the period.

Bringing the game home was the Farley show as he had 15 for the period including a number of trips to the free throw line (10/11 for the game, 7/7 in the quarter). Melbourne did score 29 in the race home, but were headed by Adelaide's 32 final quarter points. At one point, Holmes picked up one of his 4 steals of the game and made an easy two-handed dunk; Bradtke had an opportunity to contest it, but appeared not to have the energy after almost 45 minutes of game time.

With the win, the Sixers have moved into second place on the Philips Championship ladder.

Final scoreline:

Adelaide 119: Rychart 27, Farley 26, Maher 19, Forman 14, Holmes 13, Cooper 13.
Melbourne 107: Bradtke 21, Gaze 21, Thomas 20, Hoare 14, McDonald 11.

FG%: 48-53
3P%: 32-30
FT%: 63-36
Turnovers: 11-19
Fouls: 15-23

Boards: 48-47 (Rychart 16, Holmes 8 (7 offensive!), Cooper 6, Maher 6)

Boxscore

Topic #1301 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, Thomas' scoreline should've been 24 and Hoare's 10. The scorebench accidentally put DT's first 2 baskets to Hoare's name. Oops!

Reply #14811 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

that still doesn't make sense even 'if' the table made an mistake without seeing the event there are many reasons why who the spect etc think the points should have been awarded to go to another player ie taps etc

but if you have thomas as 20 and hoare as 14 if the first two points went to hoare instead of thomas wouldn't that make it 22 and 12 surely it isn't a 4 point turn around or 20 - 14 to 24 -10

Reply #14812 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

re reads first two baskets ...oops my bad

Reply #14813 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

actually question for you isaac if the scoreboard reads thomas whatever, and hoare whatever. don't you think the crowd let alone melbourne would have been pointing out the error at the beginning of the game.

Reply #14814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, i dont think the adelaide fans would care who it was down on, whether it be right player or wrong player, as long as sixers scored more thats all that matters.

As for melb pointing it out, why would they care while they're playing a basketball game i'm sure they don't look up to see if it went down on the right person. I know everytime I play district when I score I dont run up to the scorebench and make sure it goes down on me not someone else, I'm more interested in what's going on on the court, not making sure the scorers get it right, that's their job.

Reply #14815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh also, that was a damn good game to watch, especially the rychart/farley combination alley, damn did that bring the house down, so precise and smooth, like something I seen in the NBA. Plus it helped watching melb try an alley a few times and the receiver unable to catch the ball :P.

Good win for the sixers.

Reply #14816 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

tony blair, I find your posts unintentionally hilarious, you open with a comment how Isaac's story didn't make sense before launching into 2 paragraphs of your own which ironically made no sense whatsoever!!

Reply #14817 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

The scores put up on the cube and main board are purely a "visual" for the fans only.

The official score comes from the actual scoresheet, which is maintained separately, by the Basketball Australia officials.

It is the same in any game of basketball...what the scoresheet says is the official word, unless a team actually protests that sheet.

Reply #14821 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tony,

That Thomas and Hoare have playing numbers separated by a single number (32 and 33) could've caused the error.

Once it's in, I don't believe they can change it, statistically.

And there was definitely a mistake made (others picked it up too).

Reply #14823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anybody see former 36er / current 36er Board member David Spear doing car park duty at the Dome last night as a West Adelaide parent/coach?

Talk about putting back in......

Reply #14824 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

excuse me billo but it was early in the morning, i meant by my second comment that i had re read isaac's orginal comment and realised that it was first two baskets not first two points. hence the my bad error.

also i find it extremely difficult to believe that nobody in the crowd nor from melbourne would take notice that the scores have gone up wrong, if they did, i was watching foxtel and at no stage was there comment about the board being wrong and they are usually not reticient about things like that.

the visual scores are checked against the scoresheet and the scoresheet and the stats are checked against the scoresheet.

anon playing district i don't believe you would run up to check your scores but at no stage during district games does the cube run so you aren't going to know but i bet if the table holds out the wrong number foul bat you would be aware.
besides the stats at qtr and half time would be given to coaches i find it amazing that someone would not have queried it that is all.

Reply #14825 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

anyway.....the sixers did a great job of getting it together last night. After Q1 i though it was going to be another Tigers riot....no sixers defence, back door cuts aplenty and Bradtke killing us.

The boys came out in Q2 and hustled their buts off and ran them off there legs.

The tigers were very frustrated at the officiating which on some level i agree with.

will be interesting to see if our home court record stays in tact now that there will be interstate refs being mixed in with the locals.

Reply #14827 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Where did ya get that about the interstate refs Kent??

I didnt think they would, because they only need one Level 1 NBL ref on an NBL game, and Weeks is Level 1, so the rest can be a lower standard.

I'm not questioning what your saying, just wondering where the info came from, so I can correct my other source :)

Reply #14843 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

From the horses mouth yogee

Reply #14845 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I should add more there has been a growing feeling that home teams are getting a bigger than normal advantage with the current philosophy of using only local refs.

The situation also puts alot of pressure on the level 1 ref ( ala Weeksy) to carry the less credentialled refs.

It stands to reason that if you are only seeing one team as a ref there will be a familiarity to those calls and style of ref'ing.

The travelling team has to adjust to the new style of ref'ing.

Using the sixers as an example they are great at home and not so on the road.

Is it that the ability drops on the road or that they are not adjusting to how the game is being called and thus not getting the results?

Reply #14846 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I would agree, I think the NBL needs to go back to the 2 local 1 interstate pattern they had before they stopped the refs travelling.

Good to see some common sense is prevailing.

Reply #14848 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

What were Andrew Gaze and Brett Maher saying to each other after Mahersy shot the first two pointer over Andrew?
Bothof them had smiles from ear to ear.

Reply #14851 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

This was my first Sixers game for a few years and thought it was great! Even though the crowd was down on numbers I thought that the atmosphere was pretty good.

I now know why Holmes' FG percentage is so far down, has anyone noticed how flat his shots are? There is no arc to them.

Even though we won, I thought our defense in the key was terrible early on allowing the Tigers easy lay ups.

Rychart was just sensational I thought and Forman has really stepped up this year.

Reply #14858 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Its Official! Im A COOPER Fan!
He played Some Awesome D on Bradtke!

Great Hustle PLayer with Jacob!

Reply #14860 | Report this post

Tyler  
Years ago

Who thinks Forman should replace Holmes in the starting 5?

Reply #14915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

me 100%

Reply #14929 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754