Just wondering
Years ago

Tiger mayhem!

What the .. is going on in Tiger land? When the player with the most Woollacott votes does not get the MVP? Could the coach have decided to not give it to one of the players deserting the (perhaps) sinking ship? Brad Gerlach deserved the award, with the most Woollacott votes, yet Dan Lalic won it. Nothing against Lalic mind you, but really....! Little spiteful perhaps!
You have to ask yourself what has driven 2 such fine players as Matt Clarke (captain of the team) and Brad Gerlach, to leave the club they have played for since childhood? Tigers big losses are Centrals and Forestville's big gains.
Just wondering?

Topic #13013 | Report this topic

Dingy  
Years ago

Woolacot is voted by refs (are not out at trainings/behind the scenes/really dont have a clue), Club MVP is awarded by the club coach. I'm guessing the difference is obvious.

Reply #151387 | Report this post

Just wondering  
Years ago

Exactly! Rewarding Lalic for staying? Lots of back room machinations after the end of last season, resulting in the departures mentioned. Lalic was one of those who decided to stay.

Reply #151389 | Report this post

Tigerland.  
Years ago

Perhaps a bit of immaturity.

Reply #151391 | Report this post

Just wondering  
Years ago

Perhaps a lot of immaturity, but when you don't have the respect of your players...
Anyone know who will be replacing Clarke and Gerlach? Big shoes to fill- the sheer heart of Clarke, and the silkiness of Snake. It will be interesting to see how they blossom in their new teams, with coaches they respect.

Reply #151393 | Report this post

Smithers  
Years ago

Although I hate comparing basketball to football didn't Gary Ablett Jr. just win Geelongs best and fairest over Jimmy Bartell?

Reply #151394 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

I saw the tigers in 3 games this year (I know a small sample) and I would rather Lalic any day - and describing Gerlach as silk is like describing Brett Maher as a hack

Reply #151395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gerlach is irreplaceable but repalcing Clarke is no biggy. Coming to the end of his career, Goodenough started all year anyway, and Boal will play backup easily.

Reply #151397 | Report this post

bevan hicks  
Years ago

Compare the stats

Snake 16ppg, 9rpg 35% from field

Dan 15ppg, 9rpg 45% from field

reckon heath has good reason to give it to either.

heath has good reason to give it to either.
Lucky the numbers are close.

Reply #151398 | Report this post

Tigerland.  
Years ago

Well lets face it, Mayhem describes the whole club doesn't it. Terrible year to come for the Tigers in juniors and seniors

Reply #151399 | Report this post

bigboybubba  
Years ago

Yeah Mayhem is right the quicker this year is over the better. But throwing out a prediction that next years team will actually do better than this year.

Predicted starters:
G. Goodenough
G. Braithwaite
F. Ryan.F
F. Lalic
C. Bungey

Bench:
Boal, Brown, B.Hodge, Bowley, Smith

With the addition of Bungey really strengthens them inside and a year of sixers training will help Lalic, IF Braithwaite stays healthy will have another year like 06, and Frangers to pick up the scraps.
Like most years weak off the bench, no way are they championship contenders, but I think will give the top 5 a crack

Reply #151402 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

This happens often in many sports. Recently in my football league one of the guys from my team won the medal for the whole league (equivalent of woollacot) but then only finished 3rd in the best and fairest club voting. This is purely due to the differing opinions of umpires compared with coaches etc. If a player is abusive towards the refs (not saying anyone was) they will probably get less votes in the medal count for that reason. This is the reason i think Chad Cornes did so poorly in the brownlow.

Reply #151405 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Same reason that Ablett one the Geelong best and fairest yet Bartel won the Brownlow.

Reply #151409 | Report this post

Just wondering  
Years ago

Yes, but traditionally in the Tigers club, it has gone to the top Woollacott vote puller I believe. Anyway, what's done is done and obviously another tradition goes out the window.
Tigers line up this year equals a bottom five postion I would say. Think for next time they appoint a coach, they should pull out all stops to get a top name coach from OUTSIDE the Club, who has a fresh approach and doesn't have any history with anyone. And just for the record, if it seems that I don't like the coaching situation, you're darn right!

Reply #151416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhhh, Tigers people arguing amongst themselves....must be a Friday!

Reply #151418 | Report this post

balling is life  
Years ago

i reckon they'll be big improvers and be a surprise packet and definitely do better than last yr even though they lose Snake & Clarkey.

Reply #151424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ryan f is a good quality if u can get his mind on the job and if he's in good shape they are big ifs tho, if he respects the coach he will work fr them tho

Reply #151425 | Report this post

Micky D  
Years ago

Anything Ryna F gives the Tigers will be given up x2 on the defensive end. Equal worst defender in the league (tied with Pilkington)

Reply #151429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone who thinks snake was not the most important player for the tigers this year has absolutely no clue about basketball. That says it all really. Ridiculous.

Reply #151433 | Report this post

balling is life  
Years ago

no one said he wasn't the most important player!! what are you smoking. he had that much pressure on his shoulders every game its not funny, and came through solid everytime given all the attention and lil knocks thrown at him all the time.

Reply #151437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think will give the top 5 a crack"

"i reckon they'll be big improvers and be a surprise packet and definitely do better than last yr"

Gee, havent seen this posted on here every preseason for the past 5 years.

Reply #151445 | Report this post

balling is life  
Years ago

what...getting that from every team not just one.

Reply #151449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha, Braithwaite is probably sitting at uni/work thinkin wow now I can chuck up even more shots as soon as I touch the ball! This guy is overated! please someone thats not from Southern agree with me.

Reply #151450 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Amalgamation certainly hasn't taken them forward. A huge area to source players from, a 4 court stadium, but all we hear is infighting and unhappiness .

Reply #151454 | Report this post

Ostrich  
Years ago

there was a reason the Rockets let Frangas go, but even so he wont be there cos he is about to depart for work interstate i believe

Reply #151459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...and $45 bucks for a thursday night meal on PORT ROAD!!!

Tigers Senior Presentations include the u21s/u20 teams as well... meaning teenagers, yr12 and uni students all had to cough up to attend.

How many of those juniors feel like the club cares for them, and really want to continue being part of a club that treats them like that?

I just hope b&F and Coaches Awards are forward to the players who had to work, study or just couldn't afford to attend.

Next year, try this:
STOP,THINK,then ASK...!

Reply #151461 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

I believe Matt Davies has been down training with the Tigers Men. I think he will replace Clarke. Gerlach well I don't think you just replace players of that quality

Reply #151511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes, Davies will be a great replacement for Clarke. Perfect replacement, was that meant to be a joke??

Reply #151518 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

I know he is a good , nothing more , all round player but did Gerlach really shoot 35% on the year ? If so i think that would be quite easy to replace , or maybe not ?

Reply #151521 | Report this post

just wondering  
Years ago

To 'Rotate on this' (151521) the league is filled with good, all round players- that's presumably why they get selected to play ABL; but how many players from that league get picked to join the 36ers squad? Brad Gerlach did, and that's why he will be a big loss to the Tigers, and an asset to Forestville once he finds his place in the team.
Anyone who has witnessed any of Matt Clarke's car park shots and /or seen the way he communicates with the boys, and inspires them, knows that he is not just a good player but a great leader, and that is what the Tigers will miss most. And to an earlier respondent, no, he is nowhere near even considering retirement!!!!!
And on behalf of all the spectators who have watched you two boys blossom and grow over many years in the Tigers colours, I say a big Thank you, even though the Club couldn't do so on Presentation night! Good luck in your new clubs!

Reply #151525 | Report this post

Clueless  
Years ago

" but how many players from that league get picked to join the 36ers squad?" The ones at uni / unemployed that are descent and have the time to make the 6ers trainings. There would be 30 - 40 players in the ABL around Gerlach's mark.

Reply #151526 | Report this post

just wondering  
Years ago

30-40 may be stretching it just a tad or 10 I think! Not nearly that many. From which teams do you see these 30-40 time poor guys coming?

Reply #151527 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

JW , now , i will take back the good all round player comment about gerlach cause if you shoot 35% from the floor that is a fail in the skill of shooting which i believe is a pretty important part of the game .

Reply #151532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To Just Wondering.

Great Leaders don't sdtart a coup to get rid of their coach.

Reply #151533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To Just Wondering.

Reply #151534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To Just Wondering.

Reply #151535 | Report this post

just wondering  
Years ago

I got your comment the first time! Wouldn't know about any 'coup' but if one wanted to take a poll of players opinions on anything who else would you expect to do that? isn't that part of a captain's job-to represent his players?
You sound like you know a fair bit more than I on this- shame you are too scared to be anything other than 'Anonymous'
Anyway,what has happened has happened and is ancient history- onwards and upwards, and perhaps we shall see whether the club's decision has been the correct one!

Reply #151543 | Report this post

tigers suck  
Years ago

bigboybubba, that is the worst 1,2,3 man starting combination I have ever seen at this level! Ha,ha,ha...they are going to be so crap!

It has been a rule at tigerland forever that the one witht the most woolacott votes gets their MVP.
Jury is the biggest hack of all time!

He would not be welcomed at any other club as an assistant coach and the tigers have him as their head coach! hahahahahahahahahaha

Reply #151550 | Report this post

tigers suck  
Years ago

And i will add that Clarke only acted with his teams best interests in mind! Their two best players said they were going to leave if there was not a change in coach. Yes, one of these players went back on his descision, but that was after Clarke decided to do something about it.

... and who wouldn't want to get rid of their coach, he is just not up to this level of coaching. Does not have the respspect of his players, the only reason the rest are staying is because they know they know they will get a whole lot of minutes.

This team is filled with players (like Lalic) that would much prefer to get a lot of minutes and lose than play a role and win, especially now that Clarke, Gerlach and the two Hodges are gone. Yes, it looks like unless they put a decent team together which looks unlikely, their favouite son Ben Hodges will be leaving too! Don't blame him either.

Anyway, am looking forward to seeing the tigers on the bottom of the table where they belong!

Reply #151553 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

hey, dont hold back your true feelings, by all means let it all out!

Wow.

Reply #151555 | Report this post

bigboybubba  
Years ago

tigers suck,
Of course some of the players would rather stay and play big minutes, These guys bar a few of them would not of played much or at all over the past few years. Its not as if the Tigers' teams have been playing well, or even making finals. If they were championship contenders, then yes its a bit selfish but when the team is playing bad but nothing changes what do you expect them to think?

Reply #151558 | Report this post

Ricky Wong  
Years ago

(Mod: I'm not letting anything slanderous through)

Reply #151598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Things may not be all that bad next year. I have heard a couple of things that, if true, should see the tiges in the top 5 next year.

Reply #151714 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

BTW - Just Wondering is that your real name ?
If not how can to take pot shots at anonymous's you clown , shut your f...in pie hole .

Reply #151716 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I may have missed something here but is Bungey going to Southern??? When did this happen???

Reply #151719 | Report this post

151714 We hear this every year from Southern. You and your club are full of it.

Reply #151729 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Lets be realistic here - we are that far off the next ABL season predictions seem a litle premature. But having said that, North, Norwood and Forestville will be the top 3. West you would expect to make the 5 and to round out the 5 any of the remaining teams would have a shot, but Sturt would probably be the favourite.

That leaves South, Southern, Eastern, Centrals and Woodville to battle it out with Sturt for the 5th spot, and at this stage it could be any of them. Southern sure have a chance, but it is probably unlikely if they have lost B Gerlach who, in my opinion, is in the top 10 players in the league.

Reply #151748 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

So is it true that Bungey has gone to Southern???

Reply #151750 | Report this post

just wondering  
Years ago

To "Rotate on this" there is no need to swear at me about using pen names- I only meant that by being 'anonymous' we couldn't click on the username to see from where the person's ideas may be heading, or if we like what they write,to read more.

Reply #151766 | Report this post

lookout  
Years ago

what about the div 2 girls for southern over hundred
points in three games.
lots of juniors in this side go girls.
So what have they done to change how they play ???
Is ti the coaching or are working harder

Reply #151769 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Fair point just wondering . Please accept my apology and if i hurt your feelings ,

I'm sorry
Two words I always think
After you're done
When I realize I was acting all wrong

So selfish
Two words that could describe
Oh actions of mine
When patience is in short supply

We don't need to say goodbye
We don't need to fight and cry
Oh we, we could hold each other tight tonight

Reply #151790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lookout.

They have been sensational to watch.

Uptempo game all game.

Reply #151816 | Report this post

balling is life  
Years ago

bigboybubba,
perhaps some of the younger lads want to stay at Southern because they bleed yellow and black and have a lot of pride for their club. Perhaps they want to get this club back to where it belongs, and where it has only ever known to be. Have you thought of it from that perspective?!? not always about the minutes mate, but for once could be loyalty and not walking away from their club that has been down in recent years at the ABL level...

Reply #151822 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Balling is life...Definitely no that. Most players have been approached by other clubs but their response is, now all these players are leaving I may actually get some court time!

Reply #151864 | Report this post

balling is life  
Years ago

No mate

Reply #151901 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I know this first hand, so it is fact!

Reply #151907 | Report this post

balling is life  
Years ago

no mate!

Reply #151950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why dont we just wait until the main season and see what happens. people been out of the game for a while and returning this year. Could be a surprise packet. Your all right in regards to there attitude problems. but if this goes and they stay fit and healthy top 5 ill be watching out if i was u!!!

Reply #159092 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:40 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754