SVD
Years ago

Kevin McHale in the Post

Found this on a good basketball blog - it is a good video of McHale ... let's remember him for the crazy player he was and not the terrible GM he is - "a fierce, talented competitor who was the absolute and undisputed master of inside scoring. The dude has forgotten more low post moves than most guys in today's NBA will ever know. He was also a fantastic defender -- three times All-Defensive First Team, three times All-Defensive Second Team -- who perfected the art of the "soft blocked shot" (where you lightly tap it to yourself or a nearby teammate).

One last note on McHale. Everybody talks about that mythical 50/40/90 benchmark, where a player shoots 50 percent from the field, 40 from three, and 90 from the line. There are only five or six guys who have ever done that. Well, there's only one person in NBA history who has ever shot 60 percent from the field and 80 percent from the line. It was McHale, and he did it twice (in '87 and '88)".

Topic #13042 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

McHale had more pivots than Stiff. Amazing.

Reply #151875 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Helps when your allowed like 5 extra steps in the NBA haha

Reply #151878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

makes you wonder - were footy shorts ever even as short as those???

Reply #151881 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

One of the best post players ever, supurb footbork and use of head fakes. I love watching the guy play.

Reply #151889 | Report this post

'perfected' the blocked shot? I believe Russell did that in the 60s

But Mchale, one of my idols. I based my game around him

Reply #151924 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

equal best nba player in history(along with another white guy)

Reply #151927 | Report this post

No, he perfected the 'soft blocked shot'- where you tap it lightly to yourself or a team mate rather then the more flashy (but less effective) swat into row M.

Good to see someone else is a faithful Basketbawful follower ;)

Reply #151998 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

Not really, thats exactly what Russell did.

Reply #152005 | Report this post

by perfecting the blocked shot, i mean blocking it so it stays inbounds. Exactly what Russell did. Not like todays guys, Chandler, Dalembert etc... going for sportscentre.

Reply #152098 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:10 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754