No Way
Years ago

Sturt Walkout

Rumour has it that 6 or 7 girls have walked out of Sturts Under 14 Girls program and moved to South which means South will now play these girls as there Div 1 team. (original did not nominate)

Its not surprising considering Sturt continue to fill up their Div 1 side with imports leaving those loyal players with no alternative but to leave to play in a higher Div.

Sometimes it is not all about success at all costs.

Topic #13069 | Report this topic

Chicken Little  
Years ago

The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Reply #152336 | Report this post

Way  
Years ago

No Way,

So assuming that this is in fact correct, a very rare occurence for this site, and also assuming you are one of the 6 or 7, or a parent of one of the 6 or 7, then...

There are 6 or 7 girls in the South program who will very shortly feel exactly the same way you do, because all these girls are taking their sports?

Reply #152338 | Report this post

Way  
Years ago

Another question? Is everybody who didn't turn up to trials as a 7 year old and turns up subsequently have less "rights" than the players who were at trials as a 7 year old? If so, then Div 5 competition will be awesome this year with all those Div 1 standard players.

Reply #152339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Less 'rights' - no, but should have more 'consideration' if it's line ball between players.

Reply #152341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6-7 of the Silver Medal nationals team?

Reply #152344 | Report this post

scientist  
Years ago

Maybe its only line ball in your mind.

Reply #152345 | Report this post

No idea  
Years ago

Looking at the website Sturt had 20 players for 2 teams. I am sure that losing 5 div 3 players isn't going to hurt them that much, considering they picked up 5 div 1 players from South.

I hope that your daughter enjoys her opportunity to play in div 1 and lose each week. (Mod: name removed)

Reply #152350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no doubt Sturt will 'recruit' from all its feeder district clubs

Reply #152356 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

This is disgraceful that names are mentioned.
Issac or any other moderator should be policing this sort of trash.
"No Idea" you should be ashamed of yourself.

(mod: We are policing it, and edited it within the hour.)

Reply #152359 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Sturt are losing players no two ways about that. Couple have move to Mav's from the silver winning team. Alex being the most notable. I know her dad is coaching U16's up there and he is very good coach. He has recruited well players from Sturt, Forestville and South. All 1st years I think, a two year year program will have Mav's looking good at U16 level.
However Sturt always fill spots and they will again.

Reply #152361 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Thanks BK
Confirmation of behavior that does NOT define a "very good coach."

Lazy, insecure, egotistical, would describe this behavior.

Integrity.......absent

Reply #152363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Recruiting and juniors dont mix. This thread is a disgrace to the best junior league in the nation.

Reply #152368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dr D - who are you? How are you in a position to judge that? What's your role?

Reply #152369 | Report this post

interpretation  
Years ago

i am interested in this thread how players have 'walked out' of Sturt but Sturt has 'recruited' players to fill the gap?

Reply #152370 | Report this post

Busted!  
Years ago

"This is disgraceful that names are mentioned."

In other words - you got called out ....err anon!

Perhaps you shouldn't have taken a pot at them.

Reply #152373 | Report this post

He has recruited well players from Sturt, Forestville and South.

At least Eastern can admit they poach in this thread...

Well said Dr. Damage.

Reply #152375 | Report this post

No Way  
Years ago

Interpretation

The players were recruited before these other players walked out.

Reply #152376 | Report this post

interpretation  
Years ago

NW - the point is about the terminology, not the timing?

Reply #152379 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Omniscient observer.

Reply #152380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Dr, didnt norwood grab a couple of maverick kids a year or so ago to go with the ones that sturt took and all but killed off the div for mavs?

Reply #152381 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

No idea?

Reply #152384 | Report this post

interpretation  
Years ago

now did they 'walk out' or were they 'recruited'?

Reply #152386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

follow up "Omniscient observer." with "No idea?"

Don't you mean "Oxymoron"

Reply #152387 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

No

Reply #152388 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"No way" - My guess is that you are the same person that started the "Girls Basketball at Sturt" thread!! or are very close to this person?

Reply #152389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Question - with such a large number of players suppodesly leaving, what is their reason for leaving?

Reply #152391 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Are we all talking about the same Sturt here?

You can take the whole team that just won Silver and put them in other clubs. That will not effect how Sturt operate, how Sturt plan, or even how Sturt compete as a club. Their success is built around strong programs that weren't just made up a few years ago.

Take away their players, they wont have to poach more kids to replace them, kids are already dying to make their sides. But what is more important, and a lot of the not so successful clubs forget this part, their program is SOLID and therefore they will generate a lot more talent.

You have clubs in South Australia that are just going throught the motions, and you have clubs that are exceeding all expectations. In the end it doesn't make either one of them a better club. The club is only as good as the people that it represents.

Your club doesnt have to win every game or turn out great basketball players to be successful. It is successful because it helped you reach your goals, and hopefully you did that as a team.

Reply #152393 | Report this post

No Way  
Years ago

FM

You can't be serious to say:

"That will not effect how Sturt operate, how Sturt plan, or even how Sturt compete as a club. Their success is built around strong programs that weren't just made up a few years ago.

Take away their players, they wont have to poach more kids to replace them, kids are already dying to make their sides"

This is exactly why this post was started.

If they had such a strong program based on develop their own then why do they poach so many kids and have so many country kids.

No one took away there players they left on there own accord after Sturt brought in more kids from other Clubs to put in sides above them.

The whole point about this many kids leaving is a direct result of Sturt poaching and are you aware that South did not nominate a Under 14 Div 1 Girls side this year because they lost there best players to Sturt.

How can this possibly improve the Competition in this State! I actually congratulate those parents who had the courage to make the move.

Reply #152404 | Report this post

interpretation  
Years ago

NW - did those kids 'walk out' of South or were they 'recruited' by Sturt?

Reply #152406 | Report this post

neutral  
Years ago

it is entirely up to the families where they want to play - sturt are so strong if i was stuck in div 3 and any team offered me a div 1 spot - i would go for it - everyones needs are different and if the sturt scene is not yours - go elsewhere. BUT you will find sturt is quality and 100% committed to junior basketball development.

as long as it is what the kids want - otherwise they will be the pawns in all this.

look at results last season when they played- how will these kids go in div 1 ?

should they not feel the water first?

it may boost their confidence and make world beaters or they will lose it all and quit ??

good luck for south - they need a boost in quality in their junior pantherettes.

sturt are lucky in the sense that they can cover the loss of a few players - but nobody likes to lose any resources.

Reply #152411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt is commited to developing certain players, not everyone. If your from the country, you got first preference by the coaches, then theres the ones who are loved by the coaches no matter what who get let off with everything, then theres the ones who bust their balls to get somewhere and get held back at the end despite how well they may be performing just because the club wants to keep the country kids and favourites happy

Reply #152417 | Report this post

neutral  
Years ago

let their court work do the talking!

Reply #152421 | Report this post

Basket 95  
Years ago

Somebody mentioned why Sturt gets so many country kids. Would you like the sixers to play all local players instead of getting the best players they could? To Sturt, as it should to every other sporting club on this planet, it's all about winning. There is no point in fielding a team that won't win, when your in the higher divisions. The country kids sturt, and other clubs get are usually good, why do they get them? Because they will give the club(s) a stronger chance of winning. Country kids who make the tip down, are committing themselves and their families to a great extent and are obviously putting allot of time into their skills. If your sun or daughter hasn't made the team you think he/she should have then obviously he/she isn't one of the best 8-9 players the club can choose from. Instead of bitching about 'spots being taken' and 'players being poached' why not see this as an opportunity for your son/daughter to get better so he/she can push for a spot in the higher team or go to another club quietly without making a massive fuss for no reason.

Clubs exist for one purpose; to win, if there wasn't in it for clubs ie local bragging rights then there would not be district clubs, just social.

Reply #152423 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"they picked up 5 div 1 players from South". Sorry to disappoint you but South had training last night and there was only 1 player missing and that player has gone to Mavs!

Reply #152431 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Loyalty? Sorry, but if there are better basketball players than you in the squad then they play div1. Simple as that

Reply #152438 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

As someone who has no affliation to any local club Id appreciate someone explaining to me (in a logical unemotional way) what the big deal is here (and in the many many other threads on Hoops in regards to 'poaching/recruiting/moving clubs')

If a player wants to leave a club to play at another one whats the big deal?

Reply #152440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Clubs exist for one purpose; to win"

Basket 95,

Yes that is correct, if your a NBL/WNBL club. If that is what you think junior clubs/sports are about, you are an idiot.

Sure, teams will try to win games and do their best to play well but experiencing winning is only a small part of the value of junior sport.

Kids are going to want to change teams from time to time based on many different reasons, some are legit and some are crap but they must learn for themselves. Sometimes it is also more about a parent who does not get it as well. If your part of a club with a strong vision and values you have no need to fear losing players or need to recruit from others.

Reply #152448 | Report this post

I <3 Lamp  
Years ago

Statman,

There's really no issue in a kid moving clubs on their own accord. If they think they have a better chance of progression somewhere else, no worries - go for it.

The only real problem occurs when a coach or club member makes first contact with a kid from another cluib. This shouldn't happen. That is "poaching".

Officially, by the by-laws, this only impacts SASI & State kids. Unofficially, each club should be diligent in ensuring this isn't happening - at any level.

When a player is at a club, and that club invests time & resources into developing a kid, they shouldn't be fielding offers from other clubs. If the player themselves see that perhaps there's no spot for him at his own club, or no chance for them to "get ahead" or some kind of personality clash, then by all means, seek out a new club. You will find that often kids are disenchanted by a lack of success, and thus, often gravitate to the stronger clubs. These clubs are often accused of poaching kids, when in reality, their program promotes itself. Kids want to win & parents like to think they're doing the best for their kids future by getting good coaching etc (and they often feel the successful clubs have the best coaches. Sometimes true, sometimes not so much). The other big reason for moving clubs is if you're in a strong age group at your club & playing div 2, and feel you can have an opportunity at playing div 1 at another club, then often kids will move.

So I guess that's why people are asking whether these played "walked out" or whether they were "poached".

Reply #152449 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Who is coaching the 14s at South?

Reply #152450 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

I would like to sincerly thank the original poster "No Way" for causing me to almost fall off my chair laughing.

Loyal players blah blah...

IT'S UNDER 14's!!!

hahahahahahahaharoflrolforolmao!!!

Reply #152451 | Report this post

Years ago

Statman,

In this instance there is no big deal. No-one really has a problem with players changing clubs if that is their wish. Well, that is apart from one parent lacking the class to change clubs without taking an anonymous dig at their former club.
No-one I have heard of here has a problem with any of the movement here, from South to Sturt or Sturt to South, other than parents who I assume feel their daughters should be in a higher division.

The other thread you may be alluding to involves clubs (which don't need to be named here) actively trying to get people to change clubs ie initiating contact/cold calling players. That is frowned upon generally and in most opinions shows a lack of respect to the other clubs and the competition as a whole.

In short:
- if a player rings a club looking to move over there - fine.
- if a CLUB rings a player trying to entice them over to their club - not fine.

Hopefully this provides some insight.

Reply #152453 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

To the parents of the players that have left Sturt good luck to you and your kids and just get on with it. To the ones that have stayed, your opportunity to play at a higher level at Sturt has just increased 10 fold. Put in the hard work and you may be noticed and given an opportunity to play at a higher level. It now appears that U14 lower division at Sturt will now have smaller numbers in the teams, better for the kids that stayed, more court time etc. The ones that have gone to South your opportunity to now play at the level at which you think you should has now come. Put in the hard yards and show them all, but please parents stop winging on here you have made your decision so be happy with it!!

Reply #152454 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I <3 Lamp

thanks for the reply. Its an interesing one - and how the rules as they stand, can be policed correctly must be a nightmare! To me however it would seem that if someone wants to change clubs - whether it be their own decision or after discuissions with a coach - then let em go. While you may lose a talent that you have nurtured it should give a new opportunity for someone still at your club and there is nothing worse than having someone on your team who doesnt want to be there 100%. If however a club is finding that a lot of players are wanting to leave - then maybe that club needs to look inwards for reasons rather than just blaming others.

Reply #152455 | Report this post

I <3 Lamp  
Years ago

Agreed. When clubs lose players, they often blame the other clubs for "poaching" when in reality, the kids & their parents are dissatisfied with their current situation & want to move on. If a club is consistently losing players, they really need to look at the reasons why these kids are leaving for better development or opportunities. Of course, for the club, it's easier to write it off as the big, bad other club poaching.

A lot of "poaching" claims are ficticious. Most of the stronger clubs have no need to do it. However, there are some isolated instances where poaching has taken place, and those are serious matters.

However - in this case, I think everyone who has moved is happy with their move (at this point, at least!) & neither club has any ill-will towards each other over this (as far as I can tell, being a neutral observer). To me it just looks like a parent wanting to bitch/vent/whatever on a public forum for no real reason.

Reply #152460 | Report this post

Years ago

Has Sturt actually begun training yet? Most clubs haven't and if not, how does anyone know who's in what teams?

Reply #152473 | Report this post

Mad about widgets  
Years ago

Agreed.

Until the 1st summer game is played this is all rumour and speculation. Im sure there is some basis to some of it but the amount of girls crossing over to South seems to be a bit on the high side from previouse experience on here.

Reply #152476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lamp, you are way off with 'stronger clubs have no need to poach'. One high profile identity has made poaching an art form. Every contributor to Hoops would know who that person is and how he operates not the least BSA and yet his style of recruitment continues.
Stronger clubs have more success in poaching because they are successful and some clubs have more SASI coaches and avenues to success than other clubs which all get added to the mix of successful 'recruiting'.
There are so many loopholes in the anti poaching policy for SASI players it's not worth the paper its written on and is perceived to be breached regularly.
Approaches to players of interest take place often and players are enticed with promises that can be hard to say no to. Its very flattering to parents and to their kids to be approached and built up as future stars and some succumb it. Often the stories of their recruitment will change as fiction replaces facts in an endeavour to protect the integrity of the new club.
Until zoning is introduced poaching will remain a concern and only poachers fear zoning which of course was introduced in many sports to stop it. Until such times maybe we should just scrap the anti poaching laws altogether and have open slather.

Reply #152477 | Report this post

Harrison Bergeron  
Years ago

Anon 152477
Your comment is absolute rubbish - you are creating lies and perpetuating myths with your last statement and i would also like you to name the 'many other sports' that zone at junior level and preclude kids from playing out of their zone. Don't start with SANFL because that is not true - zoning there is a way of distributing funds and responsibility for development, it has nothing to do with players being unable to play wherever they want.

Reply #152484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #152350 we are talking about u14 this year not last year. Sturt has taken a number of u12 last year that are now u14.

Reply #152496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt have not started trainig yet so there is no base to this thread, I think you mind fine it is the other way around..............

Reply #152543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville are no different.
From there 2006 Nationals under 14s team, 4 girls have moved on to other clubs, These were all aparently starting 5 girls. I heard the problem out there is the U16s coach is a country coach so he is not out at any week day training and only half of the Sunday trainings is there. The country kids dont train mid week and only train sometimes on Sundays. The second year girls also dont train mid week because of SASI and also knowing its a waste of time going out when you dont have a regular coach.
As others have said, its great for the other clubs as it evens out the competion..........bring on the new season so we can all see who has moved on !

Reply #152590 | Report this post

(#152590) Nice try anon.

You "heard" all this did you? Your hearing is very, poor, or should I say defective at best.

Did you also hear that the team you are trying to have a go at WON the 2007 premiership because they had a coach brave enough to finally cut out some of the dead wood that had held the core group of players from the 14 nationals team back in many grand finals from many seasons past?

Not bad for a team that obviously had so many problems, as highlighted by you.

Were you one of those "little" problems that got cut out?

Me thinks so.

Reply #152622 | Report this post

JLD  
Years ago

Dear All,

I cannot believe some of the rubbish in this thread. I do not usually read or contribute to this forum, but was alerted to it, as my daughter is one of the girls transferring from Sturt to South. The facts:

1. The girls in question are second year Under 14 players. 3 had played at the Sturt since they were 7 or 8 years old. The decision to leave Sturt was not taken lightly.

2. When it was clear Sturt had large numbers for Under 14 and the girls would again play Div 3, and there was not yet any coaches appointed, we looked for other alernatives. It was made clear opportunities would be limited at Sturt for promotion.

3. As parents we spoke to South Adelaide. There was no poaching.

4. We were surprised when the offer of a possible Div 1 side came up, but when it was explored further and the girls met coaches and tried out etc. the girls felt comfortbale in giving Div 1 a go. They have no inflated expectations of what they will be able to achieve.

5. An opportunity has been provided for further coaching and development for the girls, and that is the sole reason for leaving Sturt.

6. There is no bad blood, whatever someone on this thread wants to stir up. My son remains a Sturt player and I will be a Sturt supporter when I watch him play.

I really think some people who have contributed to this thread should be ashamed. We are talking about children for gods sake. The girls are friends, want to play basketball together and get additional coaching to develop their game. What is wrong with that?

Sturt is a strong club and cannot be all things to all players. As with every other sport I have been invovled in, players move clubs for oppotunity, not out of spite.

I really think enough has been said and we should all just get on playing in the new season.

Reply #152635 | Report this post

Harrison Bergeron  
Years ago

JLD

Well said - i agree with you wholeheartedly, it is kid's sport.

Reply #152639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you look at other clubs they have also lost lots of there players north has lost lot of players from there under 14 team a few years ago when they went to the nationals in canberra.

Reply #152642 | Report this post

makesmelaugh  
Years ago

so has anyone heard when the Sturt U14 silver winning team is having there presentations???????

Reply #153398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was interesting to see that Sturt u16 and u14 girls both won there first game against forestville
must have retained a couple of players

Reply #153898 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Yeah must have. Oh and the players they picked up would of helped as well. What goes around comes around.

Reply #153901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Picked up' is an interesting way of saying it.

Reply #153948 | Report this post

Harrison Bergeron  
Years ago

how many 'picked up'poached' 'walked out' 'recruited' 'moved on' changed clubs' (all depending on your perspective and knowledge of the truth) players played in those teams? I think it was 1 player out of 17? just more false innuendo and blatant lying. just keep on making up your rubbish and heaping it all over the people that volunteer their time and energy to make all the clubs survive.
get out and do something positive about it instead of sniping and lying.

Reply #153952 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Well I say this because if you read the junior bylaws the only thing about poaching is by state coaches and state players. Now I what has been said on here and to some extent I agree, however until the competitions committee changes the bylaws all clubs are free to do whatever they wish in this area.

Reply #153953 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:04 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754