Swish 'n Dish
Years ago

Basketball Tactics 101 with Ken Cole

Found this article on nbl.com.au. He makes some interesting comments on scouting the opposition.

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=72469

Do you think this is a back handed comment on today's coaches? Maybe the focus is too much on the opposition and not enough on their own game.

Topic #13087 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

I don't think that Ken was commenting on todays coaches,as all coaches did that,except him.
He was the exception... best player in Australia at age 18, best coach in Australia while he was here.
Bet he's still pretty good player & coach at age 64.

Reply #152585 | Report this post

Years ago

If he didn't run any drills or any full-court stuff in practice, what did they do then?

Reply #152594 | Report this post

u r kidding  
Years ago

Cole talks himself up really well i like the guy but please he was not the best player in the country at 18.He coached the 36ers for 2 seasons yep thats right 2 seasons has won only 1 championship in the NBL hardly makes him a great coach.

Reply #152601 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

36ers were gonna win a few more titles,but they sacked him.

Reply #152607 | Report this post

Years ago

Why would they sack him if he was such a good coach? I know hardly anything of that era in Australian basketball, so I'm just curious, not bagging the guy. After that successful 1986 season, did the management just think they could get anyone to coach and the team would win?

Reply #152661 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He was seen smoking grass and sacked.
Disappointing for us basketball fans that were about to go on a ride for the next few years.
That team would have done anything for Ken,and won quite a few more titles.
Perhaps it could have been handled differently with the media and the club,as Ken apologised and asked if could go on.

Reply #152664 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cole said of that era that the team was a powerhouse and would've dominated the league for years had they all played on with him.

Reply #152665 | Report this post

Mel Gibson  
Years ago

"Sadly their infamous coach Ken Cole was caught smoking dope and and was sacked, but he coached this last game and my most vivid memory was the 3000 strong crowd chanting King Cole as clock wound down and the 36ers were home, for their first Championship."

http://www.ashos.com/2006/10/

Reply #152667 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was during the finals and assistant coach Don Shipway appointed. Shipway convinced 'em to allow Ken to coach that night.
History became a lie, instead of dominating it was 12 years to the next.

Reply #152686 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

152594, I guess it was offence and defence around the key. My memory is fading away. I seem to recall he played for South Australia in the 1970s against the Aust. Olympic team, SA won, Ken was best on court of course.

Reply #152805 | Report this post

jerry  
Years ago

I played against Ken in the early 70's when he was player coach for St Kilda. Any questions?

Reply #305779 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Tell us about your experience.
Do you consider him an influence?
Why do you think he was so popular ?
What sort of technics did he use?
Did he give you any special advice?
Why did he hold so much sway with players?

Reply #305782 | Report this post

Darryl Pearce  
Years ago

Ken was one of Australia's best ever players, over a long period of time...Dual Olympian 1964 & 1968.

As a coach in South Australia he had no peer.Personally he was the biggest influence on my career. To be a player on Adelaide's 1986 championship team was an honour and a bigger honour was to be coached by Ken. The whole team, and South Australian Basketball owes him so much.

There will never be another Ken Cole

Reply #364508 | Report this post

Enough said. :)

Reply #364520 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:34 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754