Amway
Years ago

NEW BSA By-Law

New BSA By-Law

Personally I think this is an excellent by-law. Makes players learn about loyalty to a club. Or at least to honor their commitment to the club they start at.

By the way please do not turn this into a club bashing or poaching thread. I just posted to let people know about the new by-law.

Topic #13108 | Report this topic

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Sorry but disagree it will change nothing only have players making a decision at the beginning of the season not half way through. Which is better for the clubs in what teams they have for the up coming season. Having said that we are still seeing teams being withdrawn due to player movements even in this the week of the season starting. Basketball SA competitions committee needs to make tougher decisions for the so called poaching to stop. That will be a challenge to see if they are the real deal or just another waist of time.

Reply #152807 | Report this post

Amway  
Years ago

Please keep this thread on topic. No More poaching replies please. The by-law does help clubs organise teams for the season.

Reply #152808 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

There are a number of reasons for teams being withdrawn  for eg.. A club has 40 girls show up for one grade trials. With the knowledge that many of them are settled in teams and would be happy to play, it would be reasonable to nominate four teams  1 Div 1, 2 Div 2 and perhaps 1 Div 3.

The nominations are put up, but this club may be knocked back on its 2nd Div 2 nominations and a number of girls who feel they are better than Div 3, pull the pin and don't play, or look elsewhere for a better opportunity.

Or, a player expected to get a spot in Div 1&&.or she expected a new coach&....etc, etc.

The biggest problem is that the selection process is flawed  although there is some minimal input from lower division coaches, the Div 1 coach in the end, will make all the decisions and has probably never seen half the girls play. The decisions aren't announced until it is too late to alter the team nominations made by the club.

I don't see how this by-law is going to help!

Reply #152812 | Report this post

Issue  
Years ago

Its a good rule but the problem with the BSA Junior Committee is that District basketball is not really represented.

Other than David Durant you dont really have a legitimate district rep there. How are SA Church or Social basketball people going to be able to review requests for clearances midway through a season. I think the rule needed to better stipulate on what basis clearances will, or will not, be granted.

Reply #152813 | Report this post

what the?  
Years ago

Issue,

Get your fact straight.

The Competition committee includes only members of district basketball.

The BSA commission represent all levels of basketball in the state but are not having any say over the competitions committee.

I for one think that it is a good by-law. But this was discussed by the old junior committee a couple of months ago.

Not sure why it was only posted this week, when players looking to give their clubs one last try before moving had already committed.

I think that this week will see a number of players jump ship causing team withdrawls, and the same during the season change over, but over time it will decrease the number of people changing.

Reply #152815 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

This is rather confusing when you read it in conjunction with the existing by-laws.

It appears the situation is a player can't play for second club in the same season, or they can't play at all if they apply for a clearance in the second half of they season, regardless of whether they have played a game or not.

The statement "To apply for a clearance, players/parents should contact BSA directly via email." is wrong. Clubs issue clearances, not BSA.

The changeover from the Summer to Winter season will be bedlam as disgruntled players will have to play out the Summer season or sit it out. Players are being forced to jump ship without getting a look at the new season with their existing club. Whether the number of clearances increases or reduces is anyones guess.

To top it all off, the By-laws on Sporting Pulse haven't been changed - so we don't know what rules apply for this weekend.

Confusion reigns - great start for the Competitions Committee.

Reply #152818 | Report this post

I think it is crystal clear. I think the only person who is confused is Daddy O. Once you play for a club in a season, you can't play for another in the same season. Pretty simple really. You can get cleared but you can't play until next season. Still pretty clear. If you think you have special circumstances contact BSA. Can't get much simpler than that.

Reply #152828 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Read the By-laws. If you apply for a clearance in the second half of a season, you can't play for your new club until the following season regardless of whether you've played a game or not.

I note that the By-Laws have now been updated on Sporting Pulse. Thanks Paul.

Reply #152830 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

I prefer the Victorian rule .
although I am not sure of the penalties for breaches.

"* Bring a Permission to Train Form if you have played with any other club. Without a Permission to Train a new player will not be permitted to take the court. Refer VJBL Rules of Operation 15"

Any value??

Reply #152952 | Report this post

Buns of Steel  
Years ago

I love the new rule.

I have seen many kids walk out on a few clubs after 2-3 games.

Yeah players will still move, only now it will be move or shut up and get on with it.

It is funny that players can "apply for a clearance" during the season.

I cant imagine people in that situation getting much court time once they have applied.

Reply #153283 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754