Anonymous
Years ago

Funny Lightning Coach Sacked, Assistants Walk

Lucas sacked - Asst Coaches walk.

Watch this space.

Topic #13126 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Wondered how long it would take to get posted from when I first heard!

Replacement options?

Reply #152985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Owner having daughter in team was never going to work.

Reply #152986 | Report this post

Disgrace  
Years ago

Daddys girl has a cry and gets coach sacked.
Lightning will not win this year if this is the way the team has to be run

Reply #152987 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Damn. I was certain that Rick Castle could get a job out of this!

Reply #152988 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

I'm I missing something here? We are two games into the season and have a 1/1 win loss record. Thats not bad start sure it would be better with a 2/0 but still not enough to sack a coach over. I'm no Chris fan by the way but surely they i more to this if true and not just dads little girl excuses.

Reply #152989 | Report this post

Adelaide Fan  
Years ago

Daddy's little Princess got her way.

Keep talking sh#t Carla, we heard you on the radio Angela was not going to start this weekend... You knew that...

Reply #152990 | Report this post

Disgrace  
Years ago

nope thats it thats why its a disgrace!

Reply #152991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is a disgrace, what a big loss losing all those coaches. Obviously there is alot of I in that team.

Reply #152992 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Disagreement in how to coach, I think.

Reply #152993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vince Marino must be Mark Cowan in disguise

Reply #152994 | Report this post

Adelaide Fan  
Years ago

Yeah disagreement, start my daughter or get the sack......

Reply #152995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just mentioned on 5aa - Sam is taking over in the interim

Reply #152996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marino u are an absolute tool

Reply #152998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam who? is taking over

Reply #152999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Whittleson AKA the cheif!

Reply #153002 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

This is ridiculous, especially given the media push to install us as early championship favourites.

Reply #153006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon the odds will blow out to $3+

Reply #153007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHO CARES ABOUT THE ODDS, THIS IS A BIG LOSS FOR WOMENS BASKETBALL IN SA...............

Reply #153009 | Report this post

daddy's princess  
Years ago

Chris hasn't done anything wrong. It's a dictatorship in which money, power and daddy's little princess RULES... Discraceful Vince

Reply #153021 | Report this post

daddy's princess  
Years ago

Chris built this team! Good on the assistants for walking - that's respectable - That's less than i can say for the Marino family...

Reply #153022 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

I am not surprised. I saw the game on Friday night and was shocked at the layups that Chris missed, the bad passes he dished out and his woeful shot selection. He only has himself to blame.
I bet he is feeling bewildered and let down

Reply #153023 | Report this post

daddy's princess  
Years ago

sorry that's MORE than i can say for the Marino's

Reply #153024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um 'Hangin Round' last i checked it is the player who misses simple layups and shots and dishes out bad passes not the coach.

Reply #153026 | Report this post

daddy's princess  
Years ago

chris is only the coach - and like the players said, he can't play for them and it's only the second game... now that's come from the players buddy. Keep HANGIN ROUND tool cos you obviously have NO idea

Reply #153028 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Thanks for info 153026. I must have forgotten this. Sorry about that- Why then was coach sacked if the players made these simple mistakes???

Reply #153029 | Report this post

inspector gadget  
Years ago

you all sound like a bunch of tools, how about you get a life and stop talking like you know everything about everyone. so you know the whole story????? how about you ask yourself before writing so much crap on this forum
really someone was sacked and will be replaced.

Reply #153030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prehaps 'Hangin Round' the were other issues that led to his sacking, if he was sacked as a result of a team having a horrible night, then the players also deserved to go. After all, theres not 'I' in team.

Reply #153031 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

If you guys bothered to read my post, there was a little sarcasm in it. I wrote that Chris made bad passes, missed layups, had bad shot selection etc, but too many 'tools' missed that part of it and got busy paying me out and saying the players should be partly accountable. This is exactly what I was getting at

Reply #153034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is in princess and in a marino

Reply #153035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redbacks coach is available! Maybe the owner will coach as he seems to know the guard plays already.

Reply #153038 | Report this post

big  
Years ago

This just goes to show that a daughter should NEVER be picked in her fathers team.
You should be disgusted in yourself Marino!! Just because you own the team, doesnt mean you should tell the coach how to coach.

Reply #153040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or who he has to start!

Reply #153041 | Report this post

Perth Revisited  
Years ago

Best thing for the club is to part company with CL
Should have happened last year
1. Now Marino is forced to get a coach who can make a decision without stressing out the program
2. Chris definately was a yes man to Phil Sanders or Dean Kinsman would have the job 3 years ago
3. Ask Summerton, Smith, Flanagan, Screen, Lorenzeni etc etc if they ever would play for Lucas again - same answer - NO WAY
4. Feel sorry for Chris to a point however it was the wrong choice as he is not a SENIOR team caoch
Fine with U21 kids but ask any of the experienced players and he is not at ease with the process at all
Last weekend was tough to watch - whittle and Gahan are playing on experience NOT coaching
cant see the owners not favoring the daughter however maybe she said how little respect for the senior coach there was and Vine said enough is enough

Reply #153044 | Report this post

Perth Revisited  
Years ago

Best thing for the club is to part company with CL
Should have happened last year
1. Now Marino is forced to get a coach who can make a decision without stressing out the program
2. Chris definately was a yes man to Phil S_anders or Dean Kinsman would have the job 3 years ago
3. Ask Summerton, Smith, Flanagan, Screen, Lorenzeni etc etc if they ever would play for Lucas again - same answer - NO WAY
4. Feel sorry for Chris to a point however it was the wrong choice as he is not a SENIOR team caoch
Fine with U21 kids but ask any of the experienced players and he is not at ease with the process at all
Last weekend was tough to watch - whittle and Gahan are playing on experience NOT coaching
cant see the owners not favoring the daughter however maybe she said how little respect for the senior coach there was and Vine said enough is enough

Reply #153045 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Wasnt Lucas given a multi year contract extension last season???

Reply #153046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PR, no problems with your opinion on whether Lucas should or should not be head coach of the Lightning or not. Everyone has an opinion.
But there is no way in the world that even a Lucas basher can justify what went down today.

Reply #153047 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

At least give it some more time. If they continued down the path of ;ast week then yes look into getting rid of the coach. Until then you leave Sam in a hard position. What if Marino doesn't get much court time does Sam get the BOOT and then the next and then the next?

When does it end?

Reply #153048 | Report this post

Perth Revisited  
Years ago

Agree
I am not bashing Chris
Its no way to run a program,
Boti is going to smash this in the morning
I just hope it doesnt implode
I have sat and watched for 2-3 years since Jan quit with not a great deal of hope
Lucas had his heart and soul in the right place but was never going to get the older heads to embrace the "control" method he employed

Reply #153049 | Report this post

sdf  
Years ago

Possible Replacements..............

Dean Kinsman
Rick Castle
Paul Mesecke

Reply #153051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so sam woosnam is gonna player coach???? and thats gonna create no in house arguments

Reply #153052 | Report this post

Boti will be soft and not give this story its due interest. I reckon if he is smart he will know that Vince will have soooo many lawyers crawling up Boti's ass he will have to go to court just to use the loo.

Reply #153053 | Report this post

????  
Years ago

Other replacements could be Debbie Cook, Gary Fox, Sonia Knight.

Reply #153055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Story has been released.

'Lucas shock axing'

"ADELAIDE Lightning coach Chris Lucas has been sacked by owner Vince Marino, his assistant coaches Scott Ninnis and Marcus Wong both resigning amid unprecedented turmoil at the WNBL club."

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22605034-5006371,00.html

Reply #153056 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

"Hanging Around", I got your comment the first time and had a chuckle. Very funny! Is this sacking a record in the WNBL.

Reply #153057 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Story has been released.

'Lucas shock axing'

"ADELAIDE Lightning coach Chris Lucas has been sacked by owner Vince Marino, his assistant coaches Scott Ninnis and Marcus Wong both resigning amid unprecedented turmoil at the WNBL club."

Reply #153058 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

And Boti has NOT held back either. Check out the columns on AdelaideNow:

Also see Scott Ninnis' comments!

I hope these all make the Advertiser in a few hours!

Reply #153059 | Report this post

I think it is safe to say that Marino did more damge in one day to womens basketball in SA than anyone could of thought. Will there be a public backlash?And while every SA coach is looking for a break, how could someone from SA takeover the team?

Reply #153060 | Report this post

Adelaide Fan  
Years ago

Well it's going to be interesting to see when Phillips comes back and is fully fit. Will Phillips have to play the no. 2 to Marino?

Marino is half the player Phillips is....

Reply #153061 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Whether you think Lucas was capable or not as a successful coach, the issue is timing. Why bring a team in such turmoil 2 games into the season. If Lucas was good enough to see the whole season out last season, what was so urgent about sacking him 2 games into the new season? Couldn't all the dirty laundry have been washed in the off season? It really amazes me think that we are giving Chappell so many chances to come good, and yet in an instant, Lucas is dismissed after just 2 games. To top this off, there isn't even a replacement to take over immediately.

Vince Marino may be the owner of the team but what he has to realise is that he hasn't bought a new car or a new suit that he can do and wear as he pleases. This asset is different in that it involves people, people with a passion and commitment to hard work. I just hope his decision is the right one because as the owner, he controls the success of elite women's basketball in South Australia. The fact that Lucas' assistants have followed him out the door, says a lot for Lucas and not much for Marino.

Reply #153062 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Marino is half the player Phillips is.... (you didn't finish your sentence) .... now, let alone when Erin isn't injured. ;-)

Unblvbl. Thoughts go out to Chris and Scott - this doesn't seem quite right.

Reply #153063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well it certainly won't make the princess more popular with the crowds. maybe the will boo everytime Marino gets the ball. Maybe the crowds will vote with the wallets and not attend.

all of this plays into the hands of all that didn't think Marino should play for the Lightning at all.

the fact that Wong has walked and he works for Vince Marino speaks volumes for Lucas and the coaching staff.

We are now the laughing stock of Australia.

Reply #153064 | Report this post

sdf  
Years ago

Anyone else notice the bit in the paper about Wilkins contract being reinstated.

Reply #153066 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I believe that until the full facts are known everyone should keep their uneducated/biased opinions to themselves. Some constructive suggestions is what is needed here not bagging of everyone involved with the Lightening

Reply #153068 | Report this post

subliminal  
Years ago

vote on advertiser web page -

Reply #153069 | Report this post

Adelaide Fan  
Years ago

oops my mistake... Marino ISN'T half the player Erin Phillips is....

But what is going to happen when Erin is back playing and full fitness... I think Phillips will be next on the chopping block because Phillips plays in Princesses position....

Reply #153071 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

The Lightning have just become a joke! Congrats to the Marino's! I guess some people never change!

Reply #153072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if Marino was good enough to start, Daddies biggest mistake is to alledgedly tell the coach that he was to start her.She will have no credibility as a player ever from this day forward regardless if she is good enough or not.
This is the death of this team.
Nobody is going to want to play here after this season finished, so good luck with the future scubbers that will get a guernsy.
Daddies princess will not be able to play any where else as who would want to take on this headache.

Reply #153076 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This story got second billing on ABC news this morning behind a political advertising story - not bad! Shame it takes something like this (along with the sale of BASA's assets the other year) to get a decent headline.

Reply #153077 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Isaac are they still wearing bodysuits?

Reply #153078 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I have no vested interest (and little actual interest) in the Lightning, but reading the Advertiser this morning I was shocked. Ninny is right, Heal and Cowan together couldn't have thought this one up!

Reply #153082 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, for those interested:

Matthew Abraham and David Bevan are discussing Adelaide Lightning between 8:30 and 9am

You can listen live online: http://www.abc.net.au/backyard/audio/

Nutwork, nope.

Reply #153084 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I hope Rick tells them to get stuffed if he is offered the job. Who would want it given what has transpired?

I think crowds will be down and it's a matter of time before players walk as well. Such a shame given the great team that has been assembled, and it's Sammy's last year too.

Lot's of talk about players not wanting to play for Chris - seems plenty of top players are prepared to though. Some very good players this year came to Adelaide that I'm sure would have had nom shortage of offers elsewhere.

This will be difficult to recover from.

Reply #153085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im definately no Marino fan, but to play devils advocate, maybe he thought Chris was not strong enough to caress some of the egos to make the team gel. (i doubt thats the real reason but just a thought)

Reply #153087 | Report this post

Im OUT  
Years ago

Lightning have lost my vote! Sorry Girls but I dont condone that treatment of coaches at enay level!! It is called respect - you dont have to like everyone but you should at least respect them!

Reply #153095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he sacks coaches for not playing certain players how could any coach take the job irrespective of what he tells them?
The brief has to be, 'my daughter gets a gig or on your bike'. Can any coach work that way? His only out is to appoint a devotee of his offspring and that means someone who'll sell their sole for the coaching role and certainly some coaching suggestions fit that bill admirably.

Reply #153097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

marino = absolute joke

Reply #153099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Matthew Abraham and David Bevan are discussing Adelaide Lightning between 8:30 and 9am" - What was said??

Reply #153103 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

I went to the game on friday night having not seen a WNBL game in probably five years and was impressed with the crowd size and the general atmosphere. It was a pity there wasn't more to cheer for on court.

Now with Lucas getting the sack disgracefully it will take alot to get me interested again, I probably won't be back for another five years...

Reply #153105 | Report this post

Pasadena 77  
Years ago

Who would want to touch the team after this has happened? Any new coach would have one hell of a job trying to overcome what has just happened. Its also interesting to note that Adelaide should win there next game tomorrow quite easily as Bendigo were beaten by Perth last night.

Reply #153111 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Vicki Daldy has been appointed the new coach. Tough gig. Hope she coaches with independence

Reply #153112 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Where's Tom Maher? He likes Angela.

Reply #153114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder how the players feel about this? Usually they are the most upset when 1 person is unfairly favoured over everyone else. I wonder whether they would prefer to play for Lucas or Marino? Surely the feeling within the team must be horrible - to know what happened and still have to play with and for the Marino family. Must be awkward for the girls. Hope the team doesn't break down

Reply #153115 | Report this post

settle  
Years ago

Ok. Everyone has had time to process this now, and while some people may be very emotional about it, lets take a deep breath, and look at some facts.

1. Vince Marino's intervention saved the lightning from demise. They were in an untenable finanacial position before he came along. He took the team and injected a LOT of money to spruce up the program, attract top quality players and take the games out to the country areas to attract more supporters.

2. Hence, this to him, is a business. If YOU owned a company and someone wasn't doing their job the way you wanted them to, you would see to it that it was dealt with. As stated in the paper, it was a business decision. Maybe the way it was handled could have been improved, but in the end, the result would have been the same.

3. Leave Angela out of it. It's well documented that she had reservations playing under the team owned by her father. She was forced to though, because her Law commitments at University wouldn't give her special dispensation or leave from the course any more. She was offered other contracts from clubs, but was in the difficult, and probably regrettable position that she play for Adelaide or lose her degree. This now has put her in the unenviable position of being the easy target to blame. So she not only had to fight for her position in the team to be justified (ridiculous, considering she was this years Halls medallist) but now has to unfairly carry this on her shoulders for the rest of the season.

4. None of us on this forum were there. No one knows the inner workings of the team. To blame one player for a business decision is a knee jerk reaction.

5. I am sick of hearing negative reports about the Marino family. I find her to be nothing but professional, and her family the same. There is no 'princess' syndrome or special treatment for her. They largely keep to themselves, they don't engage in politics, they are just highly competitive, very professional people that want the best for basketball in Adelaide. I find it very hard to believe that she was the one behind all this.

6. Those who have been coached by Chris Lucas will know that he is one of the hardest working coaches in the league. But he is also seemingly weak at decision making in tight games, his finals record is not great, and reportedly, along his career path, he has burnt many bridges with his underhandedness towards many top players - which they will testify to.

7. So before you blame Vince Marino for ruining the game in this state, WAIT until you have all the facts. Wait and see what he's got to say. Remember that he was the one that saved it in the first place. And before you cry out about the ill treatment of Chris Lucas, think of the fat payout he would have from his contract termination.

Reply #153116 | Report this post

gh  
Years ago

anyone feel like boycotting the lightning games until chris lucas is re-instated. Owner only feel the wrath of supporters when it hits there hip pockets.

Reply #153117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Update

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22606983-5006371,00.html

VICKI Valk (nee Daldy) has accepted the Lightning's poison chalice and will succeed sacked WNBL coach Chris Lucas

Reply #153118 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

"settle" - Ninnis WAS there and his comments confirm that lucas was treated in a very unprofessional manner. He said straight out that his treatment by the Dragons was nothing compared to the way Marino treated Lucas.

That's a fact.

Reply #153119 | Report this post

gh  
Years ago

Here is a quote off the OZhoopsboards Forum

"Just read this off the ABC website. If this is the case, then it's one the most pathetic displays I've ever heard of from a team owner. Disgraceful from Vince Marino, thoughless, tactless and unprofessional. I hope the girls stand up for Lucas and walk out.
I also feel sorry for Angela, this is going to put a lot of unnecessary pressure on her as well.

Lightning without coaches after clash with owner

The head coach of the Adelaide Lightning basketball team has been sacked and his two assistants have walked out after clashing with Lightning's owner Vince Marino about his daughter's position in the team.

Coach Chris Lucas had just had his three-year contract renewed.

He says he was sacked in a meeting today when he tried to discuss Mr Marino's daughter, Angela.

"When an owner of an organisation tells me yesterday who's starting in the team and I don't agree with that, that's basically where it's stemmed from," he said.

"A coach has to be able to coach the way he wants to coach and that's what you're employed to do.

"I feel that that was an unworkable situation.

Assistant coaches Scott Ninnis and Marcus Wong have also walked out, leaving the team with no coach in the second week of the season.

"He (Marino), within a three minute process, put a blank cheque on the table, signed the cheque and said 'you're gone', offered the assistant coach the position and he stated that it was the most disgraceful thing he's ever seen in basketball and he walked out as well," Lucas said.

Mr Marino has been unavailable for comment."

Reply #153120 | Report this post

gh  
Years ago

This was the link. Explain this then "settle"

ABC Article - Coach Clashes with Owner

Reply #153122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You people have absolutely no idea and its a disgrace to read this defamatory garbage , Vince Marino did not and would not say who starts or should start and why dont you all wait to the weekends games and see the game plan before writing things without actual knowledge of the situation

Reply #153125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to all people writing on this, when you have an owner of a club that states...

"I pay you... You play for me!!"

There is no professionalism in that outfit.

Reply #153128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

settle, bit hard to wait for marino's comment when he isn't saying anything.

'"He (Marino), within a three minute process, put a blank cheque on the table, signed the cheque and said 'you're gone', offered the assistant coach the position and he stated that it was the most disgraceful thing he's ever seen in basketball and he walked out as well," Lucas said.'

Reply #153129 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Does ABC radio have the Chris Lucas interview from this morning on their web site? If so, maybe settle should have a listen to that.

Reply #153131 | Report this post

NOT HAPPY  
Years ago

Dear Mr Marino

Im not happy with the entertainment you have provide and I would like my money back on my season tickets I bought....Just send me a check in the mail, and that will be fine.

When you decided to reinstate the coach I paid you (for my ticket) to coach the team then I might think about coming to a game again.

Reply #153139 | Report this post

Get Ready!!!  
Years ago

WATCH THE NEWS TONIGHT CHRIS LUCAS IS GOING TO TELL ALL...

Reply #153145 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Got the tip from a reader that the audio from Chris Lucas' interview this morning is on the ABC site:

Chris Lucas interview is on the ABC website...go here: www.abc.net.au/adelaide/morning/audio.htm

and scroll down to Thursday Oct 10 (they've got the wrong date up). Today's "mornings reloaded" audio is there.

Reply #153146 | Report this post

Neil  
Years ago

Chris Lucas without doubt is/was the hardest working and most organised coach in the WNBL. Chris has put his heart and soul into the Lightning Team. His constant goal has been to do as much as he can to improve every player in the playing group during his time with the club. It is fair to say that Chris's coaching cretentials have been recognised by Australia's governing basketball body given his national appointments during the past few years. Yesterday was indeed a black day in what has been a proud history of this club. For the management to act against Chris in the way it has is short sighted and misguided, but when the main reason prompting the decision is the Owner's daughter, the decision is just plain stupid and irresponsible. In a way yesterday was a good day for Chris as he was prepared to put the TEAM fist at the expense of the individual and himself. The coaching group should also be congratulated in putting their TEAM first by throwing their support behind the Head Coach.
I will still support the team and wish Sam and the rest of the group every success in this current year but as for the management, I'm afraid I come up empty.

Reply #153147 | Report this post

(#153116) Is that you Vince?

Reply #153149 | Report this post

Ron Burgandy  
Years ago

Thanks for the link Isaac. That was a good listen. Cant wait for the Marino response. I'll be tuning in.

Reply #153175 | Report this post

M S  
Years ago

I know Chris and for your information its never been about money for him - he even decided to cut his own contract short at the start of the year so that lightning could get the 'stars' - oow, and he doesn't drive around in any fancy sponsor car either - he gave that up too... so this 'fat' pay out your talking about, aint so sweet either!

chris coached for the love of basketball, not money and made countless sacrifices for the club. And by the way chris got picked for this job because of his outstanding credentials, over many other elite coaches... and assistant Australian women's coach doesn't say much? He is highly regarded by many elite basketballers also, that's fact

get your own facts straight SETTLE or should i say mr. or mrs. Marino

Reply #153240 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Its no surprise Mr Marino has been a flop at managing this team.

Like father like daughter!!

Reply #153248 | Report this post

Carla, its funny whos side your suddenly taking seeing as your employed by Marino... keep sweet and kiss that bum and you'l always have your job. did Marino pay u too say that on channl 10.

if "there's two sides to the story" than why haven't we heard from vince - he knows he is in the wrong - go home too whyalla and carla u follow

Reply #153253 | Report this post

oh and pictures tell a thousand words... don't they. just look at the paper and news. those tears aren't for vince or his princess - they are for a highly respected coach who will be sadly missed..

Reply #153257 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Absolutely disgusting behaviour Vince!!

This is the start of the funeral march for the Adelaide Lightning.

Give it next, or the season after, and it will be the Whyalla Vince Princesses.

As was reported today, the moment Angela walked out without warming down, and rumours started the same very day "Chris was coaching for his life" on the weekend....little princess gets her way.

This is the death of the Lightning. Mark my words.

Reply #153264 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

The last time I can remember a sacking that caused so much angst was when Russel Ebert got replaced as coach of the Magpies by John Cahill back in 1988.I was one of the many at the rally at the old light house that day calling to have Russel reinstated, while wanting to hang the committee from the Birkenhead Bridge.

Well JC came out in 1988 and won the night premiership, then was responsible for 3 day premierships in a row.(Great days!)

JC made most of us Magpie supporters eat our words with a fair lashing of humble pie. This turned Cahill into an absolute club legend that he is to this day.

Vicki you have a hell of a lot of work to do my girl. If you succeed you may become a hero; if you fail I fear you will be part of the "Band of villains"

Either way I fear after this season you will be left with one very average All Black point guard that just may need to play every position on the court, with a crowd made up entirely of family.

Seems money CAN buy you anything!

Reply #153273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're wrong Magpie, it can't buy you talent, which is why it all happened, just a place on a team and a coach who will say aye!

Reply #153279 | Report this post

poo  
Years ago

Carla Boyed is a discrace! Vince must have pulled out his cheque book for her too...

I've got it, the new starting line up for the Vince's Whyalla Princesses

1 spot Angela
2 spot Angela
3 spot Mum
4 spot Carla Boyed
5, Angela (why not)

but we better run that past Vince first!

Reply #153285 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

(#153285) Hey, leave a spot for the other Marino daughter! She may be able to start in 10 years time!

Reply #153287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have to say it, i think she i useless! cant wait for philips to come back, then who will sooking to daddy..

Reply #153300 | Report this post

Stadium Monkey  
Years ago

Phillips wont be back...not now!

2nd womens club for Adelaide with Lucas as coach....I'll kick in the first $50...who wants to help bankroll it?

Reply #153305 | Report this post

Harrison Bergeron  
Years ago

i just wanted to crack the hundred!!!!!!!!

Reply #153308 | Report this post

Reality Bites  
Years ago

'settle' should do just that!

In point 4, you suggets that none of us were there, so we don't know what happened, but in point 6, you are quite happy to point out Lucas' 'underhandedness' in dealing with previous top players.

One thinks you are being a little hypocritical 'settle', and should apply your own rules to yourself too!

Reply #153330 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

settle, a quote from point no. 7
"And before you cry out about the ill treatment of Chris Lucas, think of the fat payout he would have from his contract termination."

Oh geez, I just ran over your little girl and killed her, but don't worry, here is a cheque for $50,000. That should ease the pain.

How ridiculous does that sound? No more ridiculous than your comment.

Reply #153335 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know - that's a fair bit more ridiculous IMO! ;)

Reply #153360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just another interesting fact is that Marino snr had not seen either of the first 2 games.

Reply #153370 | Report this post

new start  
Years ago

the girls need our now support more than ever.

we have a fanatastic line up and many of these girls will head overseas / interstate as their careers progress- we want them to say good things about adelaide so we can advertise a quality place to come and as the WNBL evolves, a great place to play.

Reply #153378 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Took the words out of my mouth Isaac .
Reminds me of a time back in the day as a 11 year old catching the train to practice . Was running a little late and noticed the train coming so i hopped over the tracks and on to the platform to be met by 2 stern policeman who questioned my manouver .
I was very polite and stated that i did not know it was illegal to cross the tracks to get onto the platform which was met with i kid you not " So if somebody murders someone and says they did not know that was illegal i have to let them go "
before handing me a fine .
Still haven't got over it to this day

Reply #153381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if 'settle' could be a manager of miss princess?? Sticking up for the whole family and trying to state thier hypocritical view... Princess is known for a few spoilt-rich-kid moments and maybe doesnt deserve the crap she is taking now for her Dad's actions, but walking out and not warming down with your team - that deserves enough and unfortunately to the outsider this seems to have contributed to her Dad's actions so she will have to deal with people thinking this.... Pressure is on Princess for you to play well and your manager is going to have a hard time selling you to anyone now after this action, better hope the Marino Lightning stay in the competition... Maybe that Halls Medal is inflating your ego just a small bit too much..

Reply #153388 | Report this post

Nepotism rules  
Years ago

Gee Vince!! All you had to do was COACH the team. Then you would get away with nepotism...just ask Boty!

Reply #153390 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Let's quit with accusations of who Settle may or may not be - play the ball, not the man.

Reply #153403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we want them to say good things about adelaide so we can advertise a quality place to come and as the WNBL evolves, a great place to play.

You mean lie?

Reply #153419 | Report this post

Sponsor  
Years ago

Having sat back and observed the events of the last week to this point as a sponsor, I am extremely disappointed all round and am seriously considering withdrawing my sponsorship.
The treatment Chris Lucas was handed by Vince Marino was to my mind appalling and the swift action taken by Carla in advising sponsors there was "two sides to the story" has indeed been "shallow" as nothing has been forthcoming delivering this so called "other side of the story"
Just maybe there is no other side to the story and the management is hoping all hostilities towards them will be erased in the fullness of time.
I am sure I am not the only sponsor thinking this way and I will continue to watch with interest the future attitude of others in my position.
One last observation I have made is that Carla to my mind, is not up to her role as Operations Manager as can be evidenced by her lack of professionalism when communicating both verbally and in writing during the farce of the past week.

Reply #154140 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I believe that Carla had an operation last week and is pretty new to the position - might be worth withholding judgement for a bit?

Reply #154142 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Fact is she is way out of her depth, and the way that she conducted herself on national TV proves that.She was very unprofessional and unconvincing about the whole situation, saying what the owner wants I would suggest.

Reply #154166 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Which, you'd have to admit, is partly what she's getting paid to do.

Reply #154169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lightning speculation guessing games doing the rounds:
How many games will the new coach go before the starting five reflects the real intentions of the appointment ?
Despite the win or a string of them, It's doubtful lightning will ever enjoy the support they crave with the current owner.
Silly stuff rumours:
Younger sister of well known player wants to play 'post' at 5ft 3in and be a world first success at it.
A horses head was placed in Chris Lucas's bed.
Both the Australian and NZ national anthems to be played at Lightning games.
A new law is about to introduced called the 'lightning principle" which outlaws nepotism.
Basketball club owner buys Bhutto's armour plated bus for Adelaide visit.
Certain Lightning guards have been instructed to play with one hand behind their back.

Reply #154170 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

I am way interested now. How does an Operations Manager act when adults without warning behave with the utmost lack of maturity?

Good business practice has mediation (cooling off) and arbitration processes. In this case, actions have more resembled childish petulance - In abundance.

The immediate bottom line for the operations manager appears to have been coordinate support(coaches, manager Etc.)at short notice for a team that had to play games interstate. Surely this was achieved.

Let me also suggest that the Ops Manager would devoted some time to limiting the flow of personnel away from the business that is Adelaide Lightening. Surely this would be in the sponsors best interest?

Sponsors should be given the assurance that their brand is marketed. Effectively, that the brand is promoted (no team, no promotion) and that the brand is not diminished by by the actions of "The Team".

To date, I have observed poor practice by a number of people, but the players who wear the uniform that house the sponsorship have been nothing but professional. They are worthy of support.

Reply #154185 | Report this post

Wayville 48  
Years ago

WOW now it's hit the world wide web
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adelaide_Lightning

Reply #154219 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Inappropriate use of Wikipedia that is hopefully reverted quickly.

Reply #154221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any news on the assistant coaches yet? While Erin is injured she would ideal.

Reply #154229 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

So speculation should stop. Then Marino give your side of the story and it might unless your side of the story confirms the speculation.

Reply #154231 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dual WNBL championship winner Tania Dhu will join Vicki Valk on Adelaide's bench from this week.

Dhu, 30 and still a state league player with North Adelaide, has accepted the Lightning's assistant coaching role.

Reply #154244 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754