Anonymous
Years ago

Boycott Lightning Games

I know it may nit be fair on players but some form of protest has to occur.

This seems like only way to do it.

Topic #13135 | Report this topic

Pogo  
Years ago

I think it was always going to be a concern with the signing of a certain player.

Looks like revenge was finnaly had.

Big mistake Mr Marino. You had most of Adelaide behind you.

Better start thinking of moving the lightning to Port Lincoln sooner than later!

Reply #153141 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You don't reckon two assistants, a former assistant and a since-inception-of-club manager leaving is some form of protest?

Reply #153142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It certainly is however this is a way the general public and basketball supporters can do it.

Reply #153143 | Report this post

Paul's love child  
Years ago

Yeah it is but what about the girls in the team how would they feel about in an empty stadium. They have had no say in this and its there fault. If the public want to have a say email the club but support te girls.

Reply #153155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boycotting games insn't they way. An empty stadium will just make things worse. If everyone sends letters, emails and makes phone calls to the club that'll make a big diference when they see how many people are angry.

Way to destroy a team Marino... dickhead.

Reply #153165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marino must go along with his little princess.

Reply #153166 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Marino owns the team. He isn't going anywhere

Reply #153168 | Report this post

T.T.  
Years ago

Mr Marino, as a supporter who read The Advertiser today I thought this was a terrible way to handle your business and bring the club into disrepute. Surely you have standards and respect for people as individuals to not treat them this way.

You could have handled the manner much better. What you need to remember is that this is a Club not strictly a business and Clubs are built on Friendships, Respect, Loyalty, Hardwork, Passion, Pride and dedication.

Mr Marino, try to fit in with the Club and its culture and not expect everyone to understand and adopt your low standards.

Reply #153181 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Well no surpise really,when a parent is in charge of a club and his child is brought to the club what did we really think was going to happen?

All parents should bud out and let the coaching staff do there jobs and just be in the background giving support when needed.

The person concerned is not in the best 7 at the lighting so you have to earn what court time you get,the same as any other district team or sport..

Reply #153193 | Report this post

Works  
Years ago

Private owners get to make decisions. Whether we agree with them or not, it is not our money that is being spent to run the team.

Coaches get sacked for many reasons. So long as they win and make more money , why does anybody care?

Reply #153207 | Report this post

Stimpy  
Years ago

Works, I think the Adelaide public would disagree. Technically owners own the team but sporting teams require the support of the public. They have rocks in their head if they don't make decisions that instill confidence in the program with the public. The public are stakeholders in the lightning as paying customers. It would dissapointing if the Marino's were to destroy our only Adelaide WNBL programs

Reply #153215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pogo,

Why would he move the team to Port Lincoln? He lives in Whyalla you knob!

T.T - Yeah becasue the advertiser always has the whole story behind it!!!

Why dont you all wait until both sides of the story have been heard before you go making comments like these. Most of you are only going on hear say and repeating comments that have been said on radion, on the news, in the paper etc.

Everyone bagged the hell out of CHris Lucas when he was coach, now everyone is behind him. Bunch of sheep i reckn.

Reply #153227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i won't be going to the rest of their home games this season

Reply #153246 | Report this post

Stadium Monkey  
Years ago

with all this nepotism,....you would think Sturt are managing the Lighning!

Reply #153267 | Report this post

Pogo  
Years ago

(#153227) Is that you Vince, or perhaps Angela? Move your team all the way to Perth for all I care. While you are in charge of the team my family will never pay money to line your pockets again.

Me thinks it will be hard to even give away tickets next year.

Reply #153268 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

If you boycot we wont have a team, is that better than havin a shitty owner?

Reply #153269 | Report this post

bombshell  
Years ago

l went to the game last week Angela played like a div 2 player no direction and trying to pass over 6'4 people if l was chris she wont have got back on the court after half time.
No way should she start after that last effort l support you Chris good on you standing your ground.

Reply #153271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vince Marino bought the team when noone else would. The team make a loss every year. Who else would be willing to accept that financial loss to keep a team in adelaide.

Boycotting the games would make it worse. If the financial loss gets too much, the team could fold altogether and there will be no team in adelaide. Vince did not kill off the wnbl program in adelaide. He saved it. Stimpy is a dumbass for suggesting they killed it. It is the Marino's money that is keeping the team alive.

Reply #153301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marino may have kept the team alive but he seems to be doing his best to kill it now.

Reply #153306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People, give Vince a break. He owns this team and can do whatever he wants, whenever you like it or not. Just remember who pays the bills. If he plays his daughter 40 minutes  it is his right and he does not have to explain himself to anyone. However it is also your right not to associate yourselves with a team like this (maybe he forgot this when he made this call). I remember not long time ago everyone was grateful to him for saving Lightning, now he is a villain because he wants to have it his way. What happened yesterday was on the cards from day one (it was discussed on this forum). It is easy to criticize and condemn him. I wonder what all of you would do if you did not like (for any reason) the mechanic that looks after your car  would you let him paint it pink or dump him  after all it is your money at stake. So to cut the story short  don't like it  put your money where your mouth is, buy the team and then you can run it your way.

Reply #153323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Initially I thought a boycott would be a good thing....................but I've now changed my mind.........but only slightly.

Have a boycott alright.........but not of the Lightning. That would be too hard on the girls who have done nothing wrong!

What about the company, Link Engineering ..............along with all of his suppliers and customers? That might hit home a bit!

Reply #153325 | Report this post

Reality Bites  
Years ago

Vince Marino does deserve plaudits for rescuing the Lightning from the abyss. But at the same time, he's employed a coach - coaching is their job, not his. If Vince wishes to coach, he can appoint himself to that job if he wants.

Allow me this hypothetical:

Vince buys a team, keeps the existing people on the payroll, buys in some imports, and assembles an overall organisation that when it clicks will really shake things up and possibly go all the way!

People start to get excited, crowds increase, interest grows.

Now just imagine for a minute that he hadn't bought the Lightning, but had bought our beloved Sixers instead - would you all feel the same way then? I would certainly not be happy with him blowing a great chance at a championship just because he has a disagreement with an otherwise successful coach.

Adelaide would not stand for it!

So why should we now?

Reply #153326 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Sounds to me that he bought a club for the purpose of promoting his little girl. How else would a player of Angela's calibre get the recognition her father wants for her if he didn't own the club. Obviously hurting people along the way doesn't matter. Its not as simple as not buying his electrical products to hurt him financially. The products of this asset are humans who are the top in their field and have worked hard to get to where they are. They represent a sport at an elite level. A level that juniors aspire to. The players represent a dream for juniors to follow. Who is to say that Marino brought back to life a dying club if he hadn't have bought it. Is everyone certain that there were no other interested parties. He didn't exactly pay a huge price for it. If he bought this team for all the wrong reasons, then it would have been better that he didn't buy it all regardless of the consequences.

Reply #153333 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Pity he did not own the 6ers particularly after last night

Reply #153339 | Report this post

i love my bball  
Years ago

Angela has played olympics, was one of the top point guards there, has also played at canberra with lauren jackson and recently in perth. She already has recognition.

And there were no other buyers, thats it, if someone did want to buy a club making a financial loss, they had plenty of time to do it BEFORE Vince bought the club, it wasnt exactly snatched up quickly was it?

And I would support vince if he thought Phil smyth had to go to, because I think he does. Worst record last year, has a history of signing injured players to the roster and keeping them. It cant go on or the sixers wont be successful. why couldnt he have signed kirk penny? or Pero Vasiljevic who is possibly the best dunker in the league when he played? or get Joe Ingles, Brad Newley, he couldnt keep oscar and jacob, 4 quality players who are stars now and who would have made adelaide a championship contender.

If someone thinks we should boycott link lightning, what an ass. Its a business that employs people who have jobs. not to mention they provide an invaluable service too. Its been two days and you've changed you mind? why would that be? perhaps its just a stupid idea??

Reply #153406 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Change the team name to Marino Sharks, because he has created a red ocean of blood with everyone.

Reply #153546 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I love my bball, when was the last time you paid for a ticket to go and see GMH production line workers on the job? Its just a business that employes people who have jobs hey?

Reply #153571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angela is a good player but wont ever be great. because she is a sook and has always had it easy. Thats why Daddy bought the team and as soon as someone steps on her toes again he will get rid of them too. Should be interesting when Erin is back.

I bet you there are more dramas when she doesnt get the court time. Thats if the coach has the guts to stand up to him which zi doubt.

Now who would you choose Erin or Angela???? Its going to be interesting

Reply #153637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rumour of erin and lightning parting ways before season is over??

Reply #153680 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:00 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754