Anonymous
Years ago

Shame Vicki Shame

You have sold your soul Vicki...

Not a great way to stick up for your fellow coaches either..

Topic #13136 | Report this topic

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

What are you talking about? Have we missed something here?

Reply #153136 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Sorry my bad should have looked down a bit before posting!

Reply #153137 | Report this post

smithers  
Years ago

Someone was going to have to step into the role... When does it stop being about what happenned to Chris and what is going to happen to the girls?

Maybe what happenned to Chris is a tragedy, maybe not, but Chris Lucas is gone and not returning no matter what protests occur. Maybe Vicki took the role because she believes that she can help the girls get obn with what needs to be done.

time will tell how the happennings of the last 48 hours will effect the club but lets be honest decisions like this will not be overturned, have your bitch about it but...

There is no point at yelling at the rain because you are getting wet.

Reply #153151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha

"Yelling at rain..."

I love it when people make up analogies on the spot.

Reply #153153 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

It's womens basketball...who cares?

Reply #153157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

..... most people on this forum.

Reply #153164 | Report this post

spicey  
Years ago

Get a dog up you MW!!

Reply #153225 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Interestingly in 2 weeks no one will even think of this? The King is Dead - Long live the King!

Sad but true!

Reply #153275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True anon but the Princess lives too.

Reply #153276 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

know any spicey?!?

Reply #153286 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Angela Marino, 32:35mins. in the first game. Most minutes played of all Lightning players.

Angela Marino, 27:55mins. in second game. 3rd. highest minutes played.

Hardly think she has anything to complain about.

Unfortunately for Vicki everyone will be watching closely whether Angela starts and the amount of minutes she now gets. Any increase/start will be perceived as a capitulation to the owner. Tough position to be in.

Reply #153290 | Report this post

spicey  
Years ago

yeah your girlfriend;)

Reply #153297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

um Vince Marino owns the team. Before Vince bought it, the team was going to collapse. I think many people have forgotten that already. If it wasnt for him, there would be NO womens team in adelaide. What person would buy a team that makes a financial loss every year? People should be grateful that he is willing to accept this loss to keep a team in adelaide.

Vicki has guts taking this team. thats all im saying. if she thinks she can do it, we should be supporting her, instead of protesting against it. Other coaches are wimps for not taking on the challenge. It is just another skill to master.

Reply #153298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all i can say is that Angela Marino is nothing but a selfish little sook who cant play basketball to save herself.. Cant wait for Philips to come back and kick her ass at training, then who will be sooking to daddy!!

Reply #153299 | Report this post

Reality Bites  
Years ago

What a stupid opening post - I'm sad for Chris Lucas, and it was certainly no way to be sacked, but someone has to replace him.

Am immensely impressed with all the Lightning support people, from Ninnis downwards, who supported their coach to the hilt!

But don't sledge Vicki just because she took the job! - Not fair!

Reply #153322 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Just hope she'll be free to coach and not interfered with in every decision she makes. She's either courageous or foolish. Time will tell.

Reply #153328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck Vicki, you were a great player at North and a very successful coach at Norwood. Im sure you will do well and the players will enjoy playing under you.

Reply #153334 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Mr Marino now has the coach that he originally wanted. Think you will find he kept lucas cause he had a contract.Never wanted him to coach last year as he believes he can't win a title - that simple. History supports his view. Hard decisions are made by successful people

Reply #153338 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Anon, lucky that Allan Scott was right that Port would never win a premiership under Mark Williams. History shows that people who open their mouths too quickly often end up with egg on their faces.

Reply #153341 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think the issue for Vicki now is that she will be forever compromised as a coach. No question.

ie Who is pulling the strings? Who is doing the recruiting? etc On game day she will always have in the back of her mind, what is happening with Angela, is she not getting enough minutes? Is she talking to other players? Are other players talking about her?

This is nothing more than a cancerous situation. I dont know Angela or Vince at all, (apart from the fact Angela could do with a left hand..) but as a coach I could not think of a worse situation than working for an owner who has a daughter or son as one of the players. How can you look the other players in the face? Chris I believed tried to do what was in the best interest of the group and paid the price. Vicki's time will also come, maybe not this year but it will come. The only saving grace for Vicki will be if Angela leaves beacuse she realises this situation is untenable, both for her family and her basketball career.

It is very different to the father/coach, son/daughter player issues. In most cases here the father/coach is much harder on the player. Lindsay Gaze was always questioned over Andrew when he first came on the scene but reality says Lindsay picked Andrew for his talent.

I am disapointed Vicki took the job under these circumstances but she obviously does not care about the integrity situation or the massive conflict of interest this situation has.

Vicki can't pick or remove Angela for her talent because her father can pick the coach....

Reply #153347 | Report this post

poo  
Years ago

if vince didn't want Chris as coach than why did he re-appoint him for three years... oh, and im certain that Vince and Chris had a fantastic relationship last year, SO WHAT HAS CHANGED? Only 1 thing!

Vince was also positive that this years team could take it all the way and Chris made that team!

(#153338) get it right! Chris is a great coach, Angela is a talented basketballer and Vince is a good businesses man but that's all, just a business man! with no idea about the actual game of bball. He didn't even go to the game on Friday! One thing has changed from last year and that's a little princess

Reply #153358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not counting any chickens just yet, but Vicki could yet be the best thing to happen to this team since Jan Stirling.
How about we all give her the chance she deserves before making any judgements!

Reply #153367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who said angela cant play to save her life? ive played against her and i can guarantee she would woop ur ass. she has also played olympics has anyone forgotten? and that she was one of the top 5 point guards of that olympics.

its great to see people sticking up for vicki, although many who follow chris lucas dont know the whole story. And im sure many people will never know the whole story.

Also steve breheny's son is in the academy squad, is anyone going to question that? i didnt think so, so it shouldnt be any different with angela. im sure there are other abl players that could be in there but arent.

Reply #153399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She could be the messiah but she's tainted before she starts accepting a position in light of the events that gave her the opportunity.
Does any reasonable person believe she wouldnt have been asked how she saw 'Angela's' role in the team before she was appointed?
Take the job and take my daughter was the job and person spec's. A failed applicant taking up an opportunity knocking is not a recipe for success anymore than an owner sacking a coach for not playing his daughter.
An exodus of players should happen if integrity is alive and well and no fans at Lightning games, no help from district clubs on games day and a general, not good enough Mr M' from the entire basketball community.

Reply #153405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She could be the messiah but she's tainted before she starts accepting a position in light of the events that gave her the opportunity.
Does any reasonable person believe she wouldnt have been asked how she saw 'Angela's' role in the team before she was appointed?
Take the job and take my daughter was the job and person spec's. A failed applicant taking up an opportunity knocking is not a recipe for success anymore than an owner sacking a coach for not playing his daughter.
An exodus of players should happen if integrity is alive and well and no fans at Lightning games, no help from district clubs on games day and a general, not good enough Mr M' from the entire basketball community.

Reply #153407 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also steve breheny's son is in the academy squad, is anyone going to question that? i didnt think so, so it shouldnt be any different with angela.
You're kidding right? Shane Breheny getting a run has come up on the forum before and I've heard ABL players question it many times too.

Reply #153423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Shane Breheny is NOT in the Academy squad.

Reply #153430 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He is training with the 36ers - still, like I said, the question has come up, and the same came up with Marcus Ng even. No reason why it wouldn't come up with Angela - when she was signed there was even an article where she said it would be a pressure but that she was willing to play whatever role it took, etc.

Reply #153447 | Report this post

poo  
Years ago

VICKI WILL BE FINE AS LONG AS SHE DOES AS SHE IS TOLD. LETS SEE HOW THINGS GO WHEN ERIN PHILLIPS RETURNS TO FULL FITNESS. GAME ON THE LINE, WHO IS GOING TO PLAY ANGELA OR ERIN. REALITY IS ERIN IS TWICE THE POINT GAURD IN ABILITY AND WILL EAT HER ALIVE AT TRAINING. THATS WHEN VICKI WILL HAVE ISSUES WITH LITTLE PRINCESS, THEN VINCE.

Reply #153460 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Please turn off caps lock.

Reply #153466 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Vicki wont have a problem with the player or the parents.

Blind freddy can see this was done because the culture had to be changed.

Bit like what needs to happen at the 6ers and crows

Reply #153473 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Difficult when a father coaches his son and they play badly. The coach has to offer constructive critisim.
In this case coaching the owners daughter.

Reply #153474 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:14 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754