Anonymous
Years ago

Support grows for Chris Lucas

From Todays Advertiser:

SACKED Lightning coach Chris Lucas has been deeply moved and even surprised by the extent of the support he has received since his shock demise on Wednesday.
"I'm absolutely overwhelmed," said the 47-year-old coach with a 63 per cent (44-26) success rate, amid the elite in the WNBL's 28- year history.
Into his fourth season at the helm before his sudden dumping by Lightning owner Vince Marino, Lucas has been receiving expressions of support that have helped ease the surprise of his dismissal.
"I've had calls from Jan Stirling, Phil Smyth rang from New Zealand, Neil Gliddon rang from the U.S., other WNBL coaches have called and nine of the 10 players," Lucas said.
(No-one wins a prize for guessing the identity of the player who did not call.)

Full Story at: http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22610248-5006371,00.html

Good to see everyone getting behind Chris. Good on Phil Smyth for ringing from New Zealnad.

Topic #13153 | Report this topic

time to move on  
Years ago

Did he have calls from people or did he call them? He was the the one who went running to Boti after it happened. Time to move on and support Vicki, and the team. The real reasons will come out eventually and lets not forget we wouldn't have the team if Vince had not bought it.

Reply #153391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't move on while the cancer is still growing and only a fool would believe the new coach is anything other than a stooge appointment. The nepotism is now forever etched into the Lightning brand of ownership. Too move on he has to sell the franchise and the sooner the better or watch the numbers drop.

Reply #153396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Did he have calls from people or did he call them? He was the the one who went running to Boti after it happened." - What riduclous comments, Stop trying to discredid Chris you asshole.

Reply #153397 | Report this post

time to move on  
Years ago

'asshole' lovely How do you think it got out so quickly? He rung Boti to get his side of the story out first. Obviously a touchy topic at the moment. Funny that the sooner the franchise gets sold the better, who would buy it when Vince was the only one really interested in it in the first place. See this is what happens when private business owns something, and it is taken out of BSA hands. Hard decisions have been made. Numbers will drop? Why? The people who come and watch the Adelaide team are not there to watch Chris or the assistant coaches/ managers or court announcer? The are there to watch the players or the opposition team. I will be very interested to see what numbers do because i think they will stay steady.

Reply #153412 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

lets not forget we wouldn't have the team if Vince had not bought it.
I swear at the time hearing that there were other offers besides Marino's for the team, right?

Reply #153413 | Report this post

time to move on  
Years ago

I may be wrong but I thought Vinces offer was the sole offer without involving the sixers?

Reply #153417 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, I believe there were three offers for the Lightning (have just confirmed this with someone who would know a bit about it too). I definitely remember hearing about one besides Marino, though I won't mention names.

I'd guess that Marino offered the most, but just wanted to comment on the "the Lightning are only alive because of him" thing - I don't believe that's true.

The people who come and watch the Adelaide team are not there to watch Chris or the assistant coaches/ managers or court announcer?
You're forgetting that those people are fans - just like the assistants, manager and announcer were. Not all fans will leave, but I think expecting them to remain steady might be a bit optimistic.

Reply #153426 | Report this post

time to move on  
Years ago

Ill accept that. We will wait and see. I think like everything it will blow over.

Reply #153429 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

You would think numbers would be up. Regardless of what you think of the situation, you don't want to miss anything.

Would you want to go and support the girls. After all, if we are making this about basketball decisions and not business decision, why should the athletes miss your support.

Reply #153437 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Yes the coaches etc. have been hard done by, but the facts are the facts and will not change. Time for Chris to stop bleating, accept it and move on. Any coach who thinks he is not going to be sacked at some stage is in the wrong profession. Nature of the beast and is not necessarily a slur on their character, which is the way I feel Chris has taken it.

Reply #153438 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Personally, I think they will take a hit on attendance figures. Then the issue is whether the talent in the side is good enough to overcome what's on their minds and play well together - big challenge.

Reply #153440 | Report this post

Buns of Steel  
Years ago

(#153391) Is that you Angela?

Reply #153441 | Report this post

Buns of Steel  
Years ago

Hey "time to move on" Yeah the hard decisions do get made; Play my daughter or move on! Very hard decision.

Those sorts of decisions rarely get made in organizations that have half an ounce of brains on their boards.

Reply #153445 | Report this post

Tickled mine!  
Years ago

Lucas complained to Boty about nepotism? Funny!!!...

Reply #153449 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

I support Chris too but we need to accept that it has happened and move on.

Nothing (much) will change. The girls will still turn up and play. Vicki will do a great job. Chris did a great job and deserved better - but its over.

Reply #153456 | Report this post

SS  
Years ago

'Time to move on' has some very valid points. I am neither a fan of Chris Lucas nor Angela Marino but I smelt a rat as soon as I saw that Lucas had had his photo taken AT The Advertiser the same day as he was sacked. Did he sprint there after being handed his marching orders? You will notice that every media report is "Lucas says this", "Lucas says that", while I don't believe Vince Marino has commented - the difference: professionalism. I personally think Vicki is a fantastic choice and will do a great job, and it's hideous that people are bagging her for taking on the role. If you wanted to coach at that level, why wouldn't you? Yeah Lucas got them to the finals, but I think with the calibre of players that he had, most coaches would have. He never capitalised and took them to a title when the talent was there. And as for booing Angela when she gets the ball, are you people retarded? Seriously - get a clue! It's sad to see that the only time women's basketball draws in the media spotlight is when something like this happens.

Reply #153468 | Report this post

SS  
Years ago

'Time to move on' has some very valid points. I am neither a fan of Chris Lucas or Angela Marino but I smelt a rat as soon as I saw that Lucas had had his photo taken AT The Advertiser the same day as he was sacked. Did he sprint there after being handed his marching orders? You will notice that every media report is "Lucas says this", "Lucas says that", while I don't believe Vince Marino has commented - the difference: professionalism. I personally think Vicki is a fantastic choice and will do a great job, and it's hideous that people are bagging her for taking on the role. If you wanted to coach at that level, why wouldn't you? Yeah Lucas got them to the finals, but I think with the calibre of players that he had, most coaches would have. He never capitalised and took them to a title when clearly the talent was there. And as for booing Angela when she gets the ball, are you people retarded? Seriously - get a clue! If you think this whole situation is about her not getting enough court time/not going to make the starting five, you have your head in the clouds! I don't know the full story, but anyone with half a brain could figure out that there is more to the story than school yard antics. It's sad to see that the only time women's basketball draws in the media spotlight is when something like this happens.

Reply #153470 | Report this post

simon kerle  
Years ago

ss - fair point of view - always 2 sides - i think the wilkins thing or decision process had something to do with it all much more.

outed by one reinstated by another.

there in itself is a difference of opinion

Reply #153475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mass exodus at season's end is the word.

Reply #153477 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I don't see the point of saying "it will blow over" as a reason not to express an opinion on what has occured. Nor because "we weren't there". That's the case with nearly everything that happens, right?

Fact is this is the biggest basketball story of the year, unless newley quits Greece and comes home.

What's wrong with Chris ringing Boti anyway (if he even did??) It's Boti's job to report on these things. he has no vested interest in reporting anything but what happened - read his articles - he has taken on comments from the whole coaching staff, and I dare say has talked to some of the players but has the decency not to compromise them by quoting them directly.

I find it hard to even understand those who are Marino sympathisers in this thing (note my Goorjian-speak) I think the fact that he owns the team is irrelevant. Would Don Nelson take advice from Mark Cuban? Or Phil Jackson from Gerry Buss? No.

Reply #153480 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Why wait? If the players are really that concerned they would walk now. Time cures all. If they have a good season from here the events from the beginning will be but a distant memory. I think Vince may know this and his silence speaks volumes.

Reply #153481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Silence speaks volumes...

Is that because there is NO way he could justify what he did?

Reply #153483 | Report this post

move on  
Years ago

Chris sucks! Wouldn't want him coaching my team! Boo Lucas, Boo.

Reply #153486 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Possibly.....but doesn't change the fact that in a few weeks time and if the girls notch up a few wins, no one will care about events of the past. Not saying what was done was right, just pointing out human nature in events like this.

Reply #153487 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Izzy - I don't agree. Paricularly in Adelaide, fans are educated beyond win/loss and do care.

Players need to pay the bills too. If they walk, there will be no pay out. This will always be remembered as the season where the owner tried to be a coach, and that Marino girl spat the dummy.

Reply #153494 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Mass exodus !!!! you better beleive it. I am friends with a number of the players, and the reason that most of them came here was to play for Chris and the program he has built.The way that Vince addressed the players after Chris`s sacking also will not help.

Reply #153495 | Report this post

SS  
Years ago

If players needed to pay the bills, they wouldn't be playing WNBL. I doubt money is the thing keeping them there.

Reply #153496 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Yep and I'll say it again. If the players had any balls (no pun intended) and really felt strongly about it, then they would tell Vince..... no Lucas, no play. However they haven't, which maybe says they are happy with the change. I don't know either way but their silence could be interpreted as agreement with the decision.

Reply #153501 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

Marcus Wong was one of the unsuccessful bidders, I have heard he is looking to make an offer to buy the team of Vince and reinstating Chris.

I'm sure they would get a rush of sponsors if Vince leaves, he has left a bed taste in a lot of people's mouths.

Reply #153502 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

SS, regardless of what theyb are being paid, it would have to be a factor. To say otherwise is to be unrealistic. Also, to suggest that because they haven't quit they agree or even sympathise with the decision assumes alot. Perhaps it is commitment to each other keeping them there?

Reply #153505 | Report this post

!!!!!  
Years ago

If Marcus buys the team it will be called Sturt Lightning!

Reply #153566 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If Marino's interest in the team is to promote his daughter, nothing will blow over. Doesn't matter who the coach is, the conflict will always be there. Who is to say that Marino having acted this way now, won't always act like this in the future. By the way, even if Chris immediately ran to the Advertiser to give his version of events, where is Marino's version of events? Why has he not come forward to talk about the situation. He owns a team that has supporters, he owes it to them. Is this a case of any evidence you give can be held against you in a court of law? Perhaps that is what Marino fears. Better to play safe and say nothing.

Reply #153570 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think ' settle ' (on another thread).
gives their version of it.....
doesn't look like its all about Angelas minutes..

Reply #153575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course its about Angelas minutes. She copped a razzing at training on Thurs and didnt like it. Thats why she ran off crying because she was told she wouldnt be starting.

Chris was told if he didnt start her he could leave, and like or hate chris, incidentally I cant stand the man, noone deserves that.

Angela is a good player and thats it just a good player. She will never be anything special unless daddy paves the way. She has had it easy all through her life. She has always had attitude and she will continue to spit it when she dosednt get what she wants.

Reply #153625 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

Is it just me or did I read to much into the fact that just about no one passed her the ball in last nights game. And when she did score or do something well, I didn't notice anyone running over to pat her on the back to say well done. It must be hard to play in a team where it looks like no one wants you there.

Reply #153665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you people need to really step back and look at everthing you are saying, if you looked closely at the game on friday night, you would have noticed that the girls are very supportive of one another and yes that does include Angela. Her big shots down the stretch in the Bendigo game ignited the team, so how about getting of the girls back and just let her play. Did she start, no, is Vicki still coaching yes, does that speak volumes??????

Reply #153822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not really.

Reply #153823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Lucas is not blameless in this matter. Lay off the girls and let them get on with business.

Reply #153825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 wins, with a new coach. Perhaps the girls are happy than what people think.

Reply #153842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe they just have a really stacked roster? doesn't really say much for sure either way.

Reply #153843 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Who's to say they wouldn't have won the last 2 games if Lucas was still coaching. If you think the new coach is responsible for the last 2 wins, then Lucas was sacked on 1 loss.

Reply #153845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#153842 | Grrr!)........
2 wins, with a new coach. Perhaps the girls are happy than what people think.
Posted by Anonymous today ....
or maybe just make sure the public see you all kiss and hug and make up and that life is just sweet!...
or.....

?

Reply #153854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think the way vince marino handled this situation was an absolute disgrace, and he needs to take a hard look at his life and change a few things, because the adelaide link lightning team shouldnt be reffered to as buisiness it is a club!

Reply #153859 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754