Dominic
Years ago

BA must challenge Marino about 'interference'

BA must challenge the owner about interference of decision making by the coach - coaches have to cop the good with the bad but this must be based on their decisions made with impartiality - if owners are free to change coaches decisions the fabric of the game will collapse. Basketball clubs are about people and fans first and foremost - business is second. There is no point having a club if it is just "a business" - it will be better for it to fold if that is what is going to happen to our clubs!

Sacking Lucas is in no way in the interests of the club and players and the enormus media coverage demonstrates that.

From the Weekend Australian 20/10/07...

"BASKETBALL Australia will try to establish whether owner interference at Adelaide Lightning led to the senior coach's sacking and a mass walkout of club officials this week.

BA chief executive Scott Derwin will contact Lightning owner Vince Marino to discuss the sacking of senior coach Chris Lucas on Wednesday night amid claims Marino ordered Lucas to start his daughter, Angela Marino, in last night's match against Bendigo."

and

"...Derwin issued a statement to The Weekend Australian, saying BA was concerned about the "circumstances around Chris Lucas's sacking and the resignation of the entire Lightning coaching staff".

"If the decision has been made in any way for personal reasons, rather than in the best interests of the female players and the club, it reflects badly on the league," Derwin said.

"The head coach should be able to give honest feedback to players in a team environment without intervention from the team owners.

"Having said that, we respect that any owner can make decisions in regard to their club and their players that are in the best interests of the club and the players.

"Chris has done a lot for women's basketball and particularly for the development of Adelaide Link Lightning players, and given the information we have I will be contacting Mr Marino about the situation."

Topic #13169 | Report this topic

Nick  
Years ago

Hope Marino cops it, he deserves it. The whole thing's a disgrace and is bad for basketball.

Reply #153635 | Report this post

andy  
Years ago

At last you may own a team, but not the sport or those involved in the sport. If you bring the sport into disrepute and by that I mean any sport, you should be held accountable. Hopefully the winner here will be the honour of the sport and it's participants.

Reply #153712 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

zzzzzzzz

Reply #153716 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

sorry to those that either love the marino's or hate conflict, I don't think this issue is going to go away any time soon. But I bet BA are just blowing hot wind up all of our backsides, They will ring vince up and tell him what a top bloke he is and ask where else he would like to place his hard earned cash in the world of basketball in this country.

Reply #153736 | Report this post

Pulteney 82  
Years ago

I see that the BA web site doesnt have a owner's code of conduct or ethic's download but they do have a crisis management download.

Reply #153766 | Report this post

Pulteney 82  
Years ago

What she has listened to the coach and improved her game already I think not!!!! Daddy has her "paying a team" what a joke and what nepatism!!! hell I hope the kid doesnt fail..... what a bummer if she does... gee I wonder who will learn a lesson out of this "signing"'....Daddy...Mummy....Angie...Coach or Team mates...
stay tuned what a season 1 way or another.

Posted by Anonymous earlier this year

Reply #153768 | Report this post

Pulteney 82  
Years ago

Angela Marino will suit for the Lightning this season.

"From my point of view I know I could have gone elsewhere and played more," she said.

"But you reach a point sometimes where it would be better to have a role and earn your court-time in a better team than just playing a lot."

Reply #153769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't I read somewhere that she couldn't defer her law degree at Adelaide Uni anymore?

If true, that would tend to indicate that she didn't have any options other than the Lightning.

Reply #153916 | Report this post

14u2nv  
Years ago

Bottom line is Marino put his money where his mouth is and in the real world that means that you run the show - might suck but that's life in the private sector

Reply #153985 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Guess if you are studying law at Adelaide Uni. you would want to play in Adelaide.

Reply #153991 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:13 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754