Rory Phillips
Years ago

Sack Phil Petition

Sure the players might say they want to play for him, why because they don't have to view tapes of opposition games, never have to do individuals and only are required to do 5 on 5 at trainings cause they don't have any offensive or defensive sets, so why practice them.

Its time for a change Adelaide and has been time for 5 years but the fact that we can't win in New Zealand is a travesty and losing to the Crocs who stink is bordering on criminal, in fact it is criminal cause Phil has been stealing 200k a year from the 6ers the last 8 years whilst sitting back and watching the team get worse each year. If we didnt have Brett, this team would win 6 games a year, which might happen this year.

Since he won't do it himself cause he honestly thinks he is a great coach and its the players fault that we suck, lets put pressure on Paul Bauer and Mel to make a change and lets get someone who has passion for coaching and who knows when to sub and when to call a time out if the opposition goes on a 12-0 run against us.

And lets get someone who can recruit and develop players into better players.

Put your name below:

Rory Phillips

(Mod: Title changed. No one's going to sign a partition!)

Topic #13195 | Report this topic

ref 23  
Years ago

Who the hell is Mel, i thought it was Mal.

Reply #153988 | Report this post

move phil  
Years ago

Rory Phillips
Little old me

Reply #153989 | Report this post

Marcus  
Years ago

Sack the nugget and bring back Al Green, he still got some get up and go!

Kane is GAY

Reply #153990 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

It's hard to take a "partition" seriously

Reply #153997 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

which side of the "partition" should i stand on?

Reply #153999 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I sign the partition for "Let Phil Coach To The End Of The Season Then Decide"

Reply #154001 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

It would be nice if people could actually spell "petition" and get the owners name right "Mal".
Rory - is that your real name? You sound like a disgruntled ex player who isn't even good enough to be productive in an ABL team.

Reply #154002 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Petition to remove the partition?

Reply #154003 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Izzy I'll sign that! As for the topic let the coaches and players do what they are paid for until the season has finished and then look at the situation.

Reply #154005 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Not sure why we would want to wait till the end of the season. We had to wait till the end of last season gee that was a successful year wasn't it. This year is the least excited about basketball I have been since I have had season tickets in 1988.

Can we still get Lightning Season tickets?

Reply #154008 | Report this post

Matt Clarkson  
Years ago

I think Rory has a point, is Phil bigger then the 36ers organisation? one would hope not!

Therefore, as in any other sport where the coach of a team gets put under the spot light when his/her team is losing games they should not be and playing without any desire or looking like they have no game plan, Phil's job should be on the line and he should be fired or he should resign instead of making excuses if they don't start winning or showing any desire.

Its a business people and the fan's have the right to have their say so regardless of whether it is Partition or Petition or Mal or Mel or whether Rory or who ever he/she is has ever played the game, we the fans should demand better from our coach and team.

Look at Branko Culina of Sydney FC in the A-League, have some guts 36ers and make a change.

I will sign your petition Rory

Reply #154009 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Its the players that miss baskets, the players that miss the rebounds, the players that dont give the effort required. Now lets sack the coach.

I repeat Mark Thompsons head was on the chopping block last season, he has said himself HE did nothing different...now hes coach of the year and a great season.

At this level if players need a coach to hold their hand and tell them to get the ball the little hole on the backboard perhaps its them that should be getting sacked.

Im undecided about Phil, I think that any coach should be given the respect to end the season before sacking them...what would happen if we sacked him and still didnt win, do we sack that coach aswell??

Reply #154013 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

It's not about hand holding....It's the coach that should plan for the opposition through homework, adjust their offensive and defensive sets during the game DEPENDANT on what the opposition does and inspire the team to go above and beyond....... amongst other things of course.

In fairness, you can't lay all of it at the Players feet either.

Reply #154016 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Why wait well whats the difference to what you asking and what has happened to Chris Lucas? Most people are bagging Vince for sacking Chris. Now your saying to Mal to do the same to Phil.

Reply #154021 | Report this post

Surmdog  
Years ago

Tough Tough world we lose a few tough road games, Perth we played well early but went down by 4,
New Zealand we probably should have won but lost poor foul shooting and decision making down the stretch didnt help,
Townsville was a poor showing but after flying from adelaide to perth to new zealand to townsville really what did you expect.
you wait to we win 7 out of our next 10 games and the 6ers are sitting at 9-7 then lets see where the finger gets pointed.

Reply #154024 | Report this post

Penny Packer  
Years ago

Well said Matt Clarkson.

First off I am sick of the computer geeks on this site that get off on bagging peoples spelling or typing mistakes. Who gives a shit. Its not a grammar web site, I know it must make you fell good to point out other people mistakes but save it for your spelling bees and lets stay on point with the post. ANON you seem like the biggest one of them all and more than anyone a wanna be player with poor opinions. Get over yourself mate

Fair enough Rory, I still beleieve Phil is a good coach but he has ran his course with this team. Having said that he does need to do more than what he does as well. I have heard at practice Steve does more than phil consistantly and I dont think phils effort to recruit or know what is going on outside the NBL is any where near enough. Never been to a stae league game oas far as I know. I also think he does not change the game plan to fit the team he has, its pretty much been the same year in year out. Anyway I wish him all the best and think over all he has done a great job but it is time to try someone new.

NINNIS OR MARTY CLARKE should be next in line. Please dont recycle old coaches or ex players if they do get someone new

Reply #154025 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kahuna - completely different situation unless you can tell me that Hemmerling is interfering in Phil's coaching and Phil is questioning that! Seriously, it's not hard to see that they're very different scenarios.

Reply #154026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

skud yes responsiblity lies with the players, but we changed the problem players and are getting similar efforts. what benefits are there with keeping the same coach?? hope that it gets better maybe?

Reply #154028 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Phil and suck my Balls. Time to GO!!!! Give me Boy Gorge or Someone with some balls to train people

Reply #154070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree

Reply #154078 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

It's time to ring Scott Ninnis, he's done his time as an assistant, now he's got the rest of this season to prove himself. Bring on Scotty. You can't blame the new players, Phil picked each one of them. What did he see in them????? I wonder if they are producing what he hoped for??

Reply #154079 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Boy George or Phil ? seem to be complete opposites.
sixers do pretty much what they like at training and don't take much notice of what he says at time-outs.
I would imagine any team coached by gorj would make the finals.

Reply #154087 | Report this post

skink  
Years ago

boy gorg, flip i normally agree with alot of stuff you usually write, so im going to pretend i did not see that, you must be on drugs. where you in above the rim with 2pac?

Reply #154088 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

One runs a 'boot camp' the other voted most popular by the players,opposed on wed. just of interest,should the game be one-sided and boring.

Reply #154101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find the 'Smyth is the coach that all players want to play for' is a running joke through the league people.

Reply #154105 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

There have been some good points on why Smyth has been voted the coach that all players want to play for. However, another point would be if he was such a great coach that all these players want to play for then where the hell are all these players, he should be able to choose from?? They would all be lining up to play for us if that was the case.

Reply #154129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dench, hello?! :P

Reply #154130 | Report this post

Works  
Years ago

All the players want to play for Phil.

It's just that they don't want to put their development in his hands. They know that they might enjoy a year or 2, but after that they will not have improved and will be worse off in the long run.

Reply #154136 | Report this post

Penny Packer  
Years ago

I think the whole players wanting to play for phil thing was maybe in his first 3 or 4 years. Take a poll now and I dont think it would be the same

Reply #154144 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, I believe he was named #1 again this season?

Reply #154145 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes he was. I heard Davidson and Chappell saying they like his style (guess Ballinger does also,but I haven't heard him) and heard Newley speaking highly of him, but not much Phil could do to to compete with what Houston Rockets told Newley to do.

Reply #154147 | Report this post

Cat 95  
Years ago

a lot of dragons speak highly of their idol shane heal too. ;-)

Reply #154152 | Report this post

Ren  
Years ago

Camel dont believe everything you read or see in the media buddy.

Reply #154165 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Chris Lucas anyone?

Reply #154199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This petition made it onto the news...did anyone hear the news report on the 36ers? Whole bunch of predictable excuses from Smythe....anyone else catch it?

Reply #154211 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Chris Lucas is used to coaching girls...he'd be a good fit at the 36ers

Reply #154220 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

36 replies to this thread........

Did anyone catch Smyth on Fox Sports News this Morning?
He said: Had some tough last games, should of won a couple but didn't. Played these games alright but the shots didn't drop. Davidson may play this weekend but there are some doubts. Sydney are going to be tough etc etc (didn't mention gelling once)

The commentator suggested that some fans were calling for him to be sacked. (he must be reading Hoops....)

Smyth said the win/loss ratio was 2 and 4 and that wasn't too bad. He then went on to say if he was an AFL coach he would be a legend..........(wtf)

37 now........

Reply #154234 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Hey - even Kevin Sheedy and Malcolm Blight got sacked.

Reply #154237 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

All coaches get sacked sooner or later. Smyth believes he is the exception.

Reply #154240 | Report this post

Chicken legs  
Years ago

The players need an almighty kick in the pants; a new coach coming in mid season will do that.

The early Phil years are full of great memories, but thats all they are now; resigned to history. The early championships are now fondly remembered by looking at old videos of the teams of yesteryear.

Becuase Phil engineered some early day championships does not mean he is going to ever do it again. We are now looking at a season that is going like last season did; no where!

History will not win championships.

Time to make a big statment to the players, sponsors and most importantly the faithful fans who continue to turn up every week, that mediocrity will no longer be tolerated under the new management. Im not much on paint and plasmas in corporate boxes; Im into watching 6ers teams play with the fire and exuberance that we know they are capable of with 8000 punters cheering them on.

Phil, you have been a hero and champion to many fans, spanning your stellar career in Aust Bball.

Thanks for the memories, but now its time to hang up the coaches cap and move on to the hall of fame.

Mal, if you dont have Scotty's phone number, find it quick and make the call, because this is one fan that has followed the team solid from the 1980's that has just about had enough of the rot being served up at the Dome.

Reply #154250 | Report this post

Mr. Deekan  
Years ago

To Mr Smyth,

I have been a long time follower of yours, as far back as your days with Sturt/United Church, and have always admired at the way you carried yourself and at the things you could do on the court.

Likewise i was very happy to see a favorite son of SA get the coaching job of the Sixers and lead us to great success in your early days.

I have always been a fan until three seasons ago i started to have concerns about your enthusiasm, passion and willingness to improve as a coach.

Sadly i am now at the point where i feel that as great as you have been for us, its time for a change.

Everything expires eventually, and your ability with this club has long gone past its used by date.

This club has gone from being a proud powerhouse of the comp to become a team that people no longer respect and it is annoying that it is you we have to blame for this.

Its time for a breath of fresh air and i believe time to give another favorite son a chance to prove himself, Mr Smyth you should step down from the position gracefully and hand the reigns over to Ninnis and let this club become great once again.

I think we would all still believe you were a legend and a hero to the club if you would do this.

I hope you come to your senses and act accordingly and if not then Mr Hemmerling please weild the axe and show your paying customers that you do care and care about our clubs future.

Act now or lose a lot of fans.

Sincerely,

Mr. Deekan

Reply #154264 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Back when Smythe was winning championships we had a team with awesome chemistry. You could tell that everyone was on the same page...would do the little things on (and off) court to make the group better. The players and coaching staff all clearly were a happy bunch and enjoyed playing together and the results showed. Even when the inevitable losses occured you could see the players were trying their guts out and giving their all. I remember Smyth saying regularly - after wins and losses that the season was all about improving - getting better with every outing to make sure that come finals time we were at our peak and ready to win - and we did.

Now it seems that the group is frustrated and to some extent not enjoying things as they once did. It looks more like a job these guys are being made to do rather than a game they WANT to play. Whether this is a personel problem, or just staleness Im not sure but it seems that something surely must give to refresh the group and bring back the fun of playing together.

Sure a coaching change mid season would shake up the players and have them playing for their careers - but is that what we need? Do we want a tyrant style of coach (Gorj or Joyce) who rules with an iron fist? Or would we prefer a players coach who can get the best out of the group through communication? Maybe we should look at recruiting a player or 2 who can bring the chemistry around the locker room (A Rees or Sapwell type) with them.
IMO a coaching change at seasons end will probably be looked at, Ninnis would appear to be a quality candidate but the net will be cast far and wide before any decision is made. As for Sacking Smyth now - I cant see it having any significant positive effect - either on or off court. The team will play finals this year - but were never going to challenge for the title. No coach will be able to get this team a title - and the issues caused by sacking the coach would IMO be extremely detrimental to the club still in its early stages of private ownership.

Reply #154272 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Statman, how does the club being in the early stage of private ownership have any relevance here? The coaches, the ones who make the decisions, have been there for umpteen years. Surely a change here provides hope for the future. Even the most ardent Smyth supporter would have doubts whether he is right man for the job now. I also disagree with the statement that no coach could get this team a title. The talent is far from bad, badly managed yes, but certainly enough firepower to mix it with the top teams.

Reply #154274 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Izzy, this roster is competitive, but nowhere near the top 4 in terms of talent.

You could construct a number of rosters from the bench of the top 4 teams that would be better on paper than the Sixers.

I agree with Statman, this team does not play with the intensity that comes from great chemistry that the 98, 99 and 2002 Sixers teams had. But even those teams had a better overall depth to their roster than the current squad. Not saying they can't do better, but don't set your expectations too high.

Pre-season, general consensus even on this site was the Sixers could do no better than 5th with this roster. I think that would be a great acheivement for this team, but that 0.500 should be the minimum aim.

Problem is, with a likely 2 - 7 w/l after tonight, it seems unlikely that we will be able to get it back to 0.500 again this season.

Reply #154279 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Izzy - private ownership having no relevance.... so you want to jetison a coach mid season, look to pay out his contract - lets say 200k. Then lets employ another coach for 1/2 a season - lets say 50k. So thats 1/4 of a million out of someones wallet before you blink (or think about assistants) Then there is the damage such mid season turmoil could cause to existing (and future) sponsorship.
As for the squad making a serious tilt at the title under another coach - no chance. I agree the talent isnt bad - but its certainly not chanpionship quality by any stretch.

Reply #154282 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Statman, that is exactly what I'm saying. The damage to season ticket numbers for next season should this season turn to crap could be devastating. Change the coach, buy some time and give the pissed off a glimpse of the future, a glimpse of what may be for next year. Entice them with a carrot now to re-sign for the future. Leave it until the end of the season and most would have already made their minds up. We all know the coaching is stale, why not give the current members a taste of something new? Whether the dollars you mention are correct, I guess only one man knows that or even if that is a consideration.
Re sponsorship.I'm not into marketing but I know one thing, I would rather have my name associated with a club who is planning for the future, trying to improve rather than treading water. I want value ALL the time if I'm sponsoring not just when it suits the club.
I would like to see what Goorjian could do with this group. Fact is, he is a real coach. Interestingly the 'Smyth is a better coach than Goorjian' bandwagon has been very silent as of late, but I digress.

Reply #154295 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Here is your bandwagon Izzy..

boy goorj could not coach this team to more wins, 3 of our better players would retire before he rocked up! Then he would trial 6 different imports before the half way mark of the season.

Not enjoying what I am seeing from the Sixers at the moment, but if boy goorj was there, running his Boomer boot camps, I think I would stop following 'ball in Aus.

Reply #154297 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Izzy - I would think that most corporates would like to be associated with a stable club rather than one that is seen to dump a coach mid season (whether its the right or wromg decision) and all the turmoil and inuendos that would be associated with such a change

Reply #154302 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

DB5, you gotta be kidding me. If you asked anybody at this moment in time whether Goorjian would have more wins than Smyth with this group only the most ardent one eyed Smyth supporter would say he.
I'm sure Mal would hate the results that Goorjian gets year in, year out! He'd much rather have his money parked in a stale, losing venture....not.

Reply #154312 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DB5, who do you think would quit?

Reply #154313 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Isaac, IMO Maher, Copeland and Davidson(spelling?) would not do boot camps, Maher had one foot out the door knowing that Smyth was still coach!

Izzy, I to am sick of Phil's coaching at the moment, howeveer boy goorj would do nothing to lift this team. Running them into the ground will not help.

IMO we need what Phil brought to the table originally, a home grown, respected coach. Phil has lost some of his aura over the last 3 years.

Ninnis, Sapwell (prob not experienced enough yet) are a couple of names that have been brought up. I am sure there are others. Look what Beveridge (spelling again?) has done for the 'backs.

Reply #154314 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Statman, a stable club or a stable losing club? Winners are grinners and the Adelaide crowd especially are fickle. Case in point is the current saga at the Lightning. In spite of everyone bitching and moaning at how Lucas was treated, in a few weeks time if the women are doing well nobody will care about the travesty of the previous coach. It will be forgotten and crowd numbers not affected. Will probably increase due to the success and Marino vindicated for his decision. This scenario is more on the cards for them due to the level of talent they have. This is human nature. Winners are grinners and people like to be associated with winners. Bums on seats ,bums on seats, bums on seats is what it's all about. Those seats are bumless if the Sixers continue to lose. Why stay that way until the end of the season?

Reply #154315 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

IMO, Maher and Copeland would likely be granted concessions. As it is, I believe that Maher and Copes might be on a reduced training schedule? (Which I don't think is a problem with Copes if he's not going to play bulk minutes - his defense won't change, and he's still got the spring in his step.)

I like coaches who sit in between the style of Smyth and Goorjian, but I reckon a few from the team could really benefit from getting fired up and it's just not happening. I reckon Mottram, Cooper, Dench, Ballinger, Sutton, etc could all benefit from being pushed harder.

Right now, I see the "bring it on" quote in the paper and don't buy it (the quote, or the paper!). I wonder if the players do either?

Reply #154320 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Agreed, today's article was almost excuses before the game has started!

Dench and Mottram definately need a rocket up them!

Who was the coach that Newley likes, was it Stacker?
Where is he?

Surely there are good home grown assistant coaches around that could do the job, I would really like to see Ninnis get a go. Very good at motivating the younger guys, have not really heard or read any bad comments on his coaching.

Reply #154324 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

He's around, don't worry, he's around.

Reply #154327 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Izzy - in regards to Mal hating the results that Goorj brings.....if his past clubs are anything to go by, yes Im sure he would ;)

In regards to the stable club comments - somtimes a club that is seen to be in turmoil can have more of a negative than one that is losing. I suppose thats where we are at for the club at the moment and that is what they would be considering. Im not satying the coach is blameless by any stretch - just that I cant see that a change at this stage in the season would be of great benefit to the club.

Reply #154328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings run an incredibly tough strength and conditioning regime alongside the regular perfectionist training. They're the only team that takes a strength and conditioning guy on the road as well, and you'll often hear Goorjian talk about how important he thinks it is whether in regards to the team in general or a specific player. More often than I've heard from most coaches he'll specifically point out an athletic deficiency in a player that needs working on - or commend them for 'fixing' it. Especially at the finish/start of a season, and the Kings start that stuff way earlier in the off season before regular training commences as well. You do clearly see results from it with individual players too, whether superficially (eg players noticeably bulking up, getting noticeably quicker) or in general (eg CJ Bruton getting lean, fast and virtually injury free after a few years of being a tubby, injury riddled Cannon).

It is an extreme, but the 36ers are at the other end of it, have a reputation for having an incredibly laid back approach to training. My guess is that the reason why Phil is ranked as the coach most players want to play for is in part because of that, and the reason why the players then don't come is a combo of development and $$. Like when you were in high school and you were jealous of the classes with the cruisy teachers, but come exams, quietly thankful you had the tough guy. The key for the 36ers would be finding the middle ground. Joey Wright and the Bullets regime aren't considered to be overly tough, but remember Rychart saying the hardest adjustment he had to make when he moved up there was in regards to training - how hard they worked in comparison to the 36ers and how unfit he felt initially.

Either the 36ers need to step it up a notch, or perhaps more carefully select players who motivate themselves. I can't imagine there's anything different in Phil's style between now and when the 36ers were at the top of the ladder - perhaps it's simply that back then the playing group were more motivated, the kind to go the extra mile without the need for tough outside motivation?

Reply #154337 | Report this post

h-bomb  
Years ago

See below for what the great coaching genius said after last nights loss. I am pretty sure he said the same thing after the 40 point loss to the kings back on about Jan 16 2007, a game that I attended.

"You're always disappointed when you lose but Sydney have got six Australian players so they've been together for a few months leading into the season so they were in really good form," Smyth said.

"For us we're a new team, (we only had) three practice games (and we're) just trying to find our way - if (injured guard) Brad Davidson had have been there tonight against the kind of pressure Sydney put on, that makes an enormous difference to how it pans out."

He must have memorised parts of this speech by now.

Just so Phil knows, the kings have got 2 new imports with one having his first game last night and 3 new australian born players this year and seem to be are to gel pretty good with a 5-1 record, why because Brian drills his system into his players and gets them all on board to his way of thinking and coaches them, that last point is probably critical, for those of you who like phil, what is the difference between phil and brian, brian actually coaches his team which is what he is paid to do, not sit back and make bad subs and call time outs to late after a team has gone on a 12-0 run, he actually calls plays and defenses which phil cant do because the sixers have no plays and defenses apart from motion and man.

The sixers, same lame coach, same lame excuses, same lame results.......it all adds up to be another losing year.

Reply #154546 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just being pedantic, but didn't we have four pre-season games? Brisbane, Cairns, Melbourne and Perth? Plus then six regular season games before this one?

Reply #154572 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Maybe he slept thru one whole game or maybe it is cause he accepts no blame , maybe 3 is now the new 4 ! maybe coach sleepy should be shown the door.

Who knows ? certainly not the gelmaster phil , he looks comatose and is over the hill .
He whinges and whines bout the umpiring all the time and has more excuses than a deaf man can sign .

The kings have 6 boomers and we have late bloomers The brother of a runner and a 42 year old puma .
Plus lots of tall bald dudes who no one else wants but dont worry we'll be right , give us time ! times up n...e

Reply #154585 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:08 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754