Anyone know how he went?

Topic #13204 | Report this topic

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

wat club is he playing for??

Reply #154093 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I don't think he played. The ULEB Cup doesn't start until the first few days of November.

Brad Newley's (?ÀÁ±½Ä ?¹¿Í»µ¹ ) Profile (in Greek) http://www.panioniosbc.gr/index.asp?a_id=53&u_id=50

Reply #154099 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I reckon this is him:

???©???£: ?±½¸ÌÀ¿Å»¿Â, ?±º ?±¼¬Á± 4, ?¿ÁÌú¹ 13(3), ?µÉÁ³±»®Â, £¬º¿Ä± 12(2), ?³³µ»ÌÀ¿Å»¿Â, ?±»±¼À̺·Â 22(2), ?¹¿Í»µÊ 9(2), ?±²±»¹¬¿Åú±Â 8, ?­½Ä±», ?¹±½½¿Í»·Â 10

Edit: Oops, didn't come across very well. Anyway, that name seems to translate to something remotely like "Newley". Could be a pre-season game though.

Another edit: Found a boxscore. They beat Kolossos Rodou 78-73. Newley played 27:03 for 9 points (3/10 FG - inc 2/7 3P -, 1/2 FT), 1 rebound and 2 assists (2 turnovers).

Gerry McNamara had 4 points in 14:47 for those interested.

Reply #154100 | Report this post

Ryno  
Years ago

I rated Gerry at Syracuse.... Is he playing with Brad???

Reply #154108 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes.

Reply #154109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gary mcnemara...never heard of him. He's an aussie im guessing?

Reply #154110 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I took your text and translated it in English. It was just a jumbled mess with no sign of the name Brad Newley. I then translated Brad Newley from English to Greek and came up with this, ?±ÁƯ Newley. I have come to the conclusion that your text had nothing to do with Brad, haha.

When I travelled all over Europe 6 years ago, the language barrier was not a huge problem until I got to Greece. When you can't even read the street names, its an enormous problem finding your way around. I don't mind different languages all over the world but the alphabet should be one. Its funny that countries like China and Japan have funny symbols and yet people's names are spelled by the English alphabet. Doesn't make sense.

Reply #154111 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Anon, just to fill you in, McNamara is not an Aussie. He had a decent college (well...senior year if I remember right) at Syracuse and some had him pegged for the NBA. I think he may have played some summer league after he went undrafted, but never cut it.

Reply #154112 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Woops, should be college CAREER (obviously). And maybe he did actually have a decent career? I'm not sure, I'm tired.

Reply #154113 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Gerry played in the Syracuse NCAA title team then continued playing college with pretty good success. He was injured late in his senior season, and because of this, performed well below all expectations in the NCAA tourny, and 'cuse came up well short. This failure (probably unfairly) dropped his stocks and he slipped out of the draft, and due to this will now be a lifetime midcarder.

Reply #154114 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

"I don't mind different languages all over the world but the alphabet should be one"

Great idea EC, different languages to remain, but we should all be on the one alphabet. Seeing as Chinese in the most spoken language in the world let's all start using Chinese characters as the standard world alphabet.

Reply #154116 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

billo, if we did we would all recognise it so what's your point.

Reply #154119 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, names in China are not written with our alphabet by default - they are sometimes Westernised for the media, same with Japanese and Greek names. Same goes in many other countries (Thailand, Japan, etc).

What's the fun in everyone using the same alphabet - sounds a bit boring to me.

I think you'll find that what I did paste in was about Newley - same scoreline and scorers from the boxscore in English that I found - just that the characters aren't encoded in the Hoops database properly. Wrong character set.

Reply #154124 | Report this post

Jane Wells  
Years ago

I keep track of Newlley by first going to:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr

Then cut and paste the Panionis Website address (http://www.panioniosbc.gr/) "Translate a Web page" section.

And set the transaltion to Greek - English. Some of the meaning of the words gets "lost in translation" but you get the general gist of what is being said.

Here's the link to the schedule:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=el_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.panioniosbc.gr%2findex.asp%3fa_id%3d99%26news_id%3d336

Reply #154126 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Twenty, Gerry's awesome year was his Freshman year @ Syracuse. Won the NCAA Title with Melo and went off in the final against Kansas & (more importantly against Kirk Hinrich!)

Reply #154128 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

EC - I'm sure that the most ancient and rich history of the Greeks and their people will be happy to forego their language for your convenience whilst on holiday. What a ridiculous idea.

Reply #154131 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Dear EC & thedoctor, there is the universal language of "lerrrrrve". It has several unique symbolisms.

Reply #154143 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I used to wonder if the pure maths I did at Uni in 1974 would ever come in handy, and it did in 1979 when I was in Greece. I could read the Greek alphabet which meant I could translate street signs.
So learning, Alpha, Beta, Pi, etc. was handy for something. Not saying you need a Maths degree or anything like that, but you never know when some 'useless' information will come in handy.

Reply #154155 | Report this post

Cat 95  
Years ago

true. i use algebra to work out how many times phil watches game tapes to see if his team got boned.

Reply #154159 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

Went to the PANIONIOS website via the EUROLEAGUE link. No stats listed as yet but shows Brad as being GREEK - thought he was playing as an import. Wasn't aware of his Greek heritage - maybe his parent's aren't aware either?

Reply #154175 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

My point EC is that people who make comments like yours regarding one alphabet for the world, or one language for the world usually assume the world will change to accomodate their language. Would you be prepared to relearn a whole new alphabet? Have the internet started again from scratch with a new alphabet? Have every novel from history translated into the new alphabet?

Reply #154189 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Esperanto anybody?

Reply #154190 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Chill out everyone, my comments were meant to be light hearted. For anyone's information, I read, write and speak fluent Italian as well as English. I can't begin to tell you how rewarding it is to have a 2nd language. I think our plates are full at the moment worrying about the performance of the 36ers to take this topic too seriously.

Reply #154212 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

It's past worrying, worrying was last season, this season was suppose to be a good year with better players, a better system and an overall improvement.

I'd say it's at the 'pissed off' level now...

Reply #154214 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Esperanto, the language of the world!

Reply #154622 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:29 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754