Anonymous
Years ago

Why isn't Maher in the 3 point comp?

Why isn't Brett Maher, one of Australias greatest ever shooters in the 3 point comp?

Topic #13266 | Report this topic

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Bcos Ng is youth and 3 point shooting is what Ng is nown for??

Reply #154860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Maher isn't?

Reply #154861 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

*youth*

Reply #154890 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think Ng's stroke is better suited to a 3 point comp, Maher has a big jump on his three and releases the ball from high above his head, it's not conducive to getting off 25 shots in 60 seconds as each shot takes so much energy, Ng's stroke is more dynamic and is perfect for for taking balls off a rack and jacking them up.

Ng's got a great chance of winning it all I reckon.

Reply #154917 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Good call billo

Reply #154933 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Yes smack on billo .
Apparently Ng does ok in shootouts with Brett also wonder if they have a battle score ?

Reply #154935 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Each team nominated a player.

So how did Sixers training go down to decide this one or did Maher step aside for the younger Ng.

Would be nice to think they had a shoot out at training to see who gets to represent.

Reply #154943 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I do believe that Ng was nominated by the Sixers front office.

Maher wasn't because they felt it was a bit of an ask to get him to give up some much needed time off for a quick trip over. Doesn't seem worth the risk + Ninja is our best 3 point shooter.

Reply #155013 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

"Maher wasn't because they felt it was a bit of an ask to get him to give up some much needed time off for a quick trip over. Doesn't seem worth the risk + Ninja is our best 3 point shooter."

Surely Maher would be playing in the All-star game anyway so he'd already be there.

Reply #155046 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

"Ninja is our best 3 point shooter"

If I had to pick either Ng or Maher to hit a three to save me from being dropped into a giant vat of acid, I know who I'd pick and it wouldn't be Ng.

Reply #155149 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I know that you're responding to a specific quote, but the three point competition isn't about hitting one pressure shot. It's about hitting a number of shots within a specific time frame which might have also impacted the decision on who to put forward for the comp.

Your vat of acid idea sounds intriguing - could make for great half-time entertainment if you'd like to volunteer. ;)

Reply #155150 | Report this post

Isiah Thomas  
Years ago

Remember when the Sixers went over to Europe to play in that McDonalds Champions Touranment (1999, early 2000 maybe), included the Spurs and host of other countries and their championship teams from their respective leagues.

They had a 3 point shoot out, Maher entered that, he made the final only to lose to Jaren Jackson of the Spurs, I also remember he eliminated another Spur during the previous round, Antonio Daniels I beleive (would of been interesting if Steve Kerr was there).

So just basing it on that, and the fact Brett can adapt to alot of different situations and succeed, I'm sure he could do just aswell if not better then Darren. This ain't a shot at Ng, he's a terrific shooter and has a real shot at it.

Reply #155154 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Isaac - let me think about it. I'm not sure that executing spectators is really in line with the image the NBL is probably shooting for though. :)

re. the 3-point comp specifically, I say send Ng for sure - he's a decent pick, and give Maher the weekend off as others have alluded to. I just couldn't let Bizzy's call go unchallenged!

Reply #155177 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:17 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754