Anonymous
Years ago

Get rid of Chappell

People can whinge about Smyth all they like, but fact is any credible NBL team has 2 functioning imports. Chappell has not been consistent on offense or defense and does not compliment the team well. How many games must we lose before something is done? I think that a functioning small forward would be a big start to some sort of revival

Topic #13273 | Report this topic

Joe M  
Years ago

Agree

We need a point guard so Brett can move back to the off guard.

Play Ballenger at the 3 spot and move Copper and Mottram into the starting 5.

Davidson as the 6th man would be a good start because he can inject that needed energy off the bench with Ng, Sutton and Dench rounding out the rotation.

Copeland is just hog who shoots it every time he touches it and his time has passed as a player.

Reply #155002 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i actually think mike has been doing a much better job of late. His game tonight was fine with the exception of the foul issues and he did a great job playing on 5 down the stretch. If anything i would have liked phil to have played him more when he was on 3 fouls instead of bringing in copeland, who like you said just wants to catch and shoot or jab step and hurl up a brick.

Reply #155022 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Chappell has not had 1 satisfactory game IMO .
He has had small glimpses but he is certainly not the player we were expecting and it is fair to say he looks more like 2005 Marcus Timmons then Mike Chappell.

Also i don't think he is a good fit with Ballinger .

It is amazing how much this team needs the spirited Davidson back in the fold which is as much a compliment to him as a blight on the current team and their performances .

Reply #155029 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Depends who we can find that's better. Apart from Carlos Powell, who else is lookin for a team right now?

Reply #155041 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

"People can whinge about Smyth all they like, but fact is any credible NBL team has 2 functioning imports."

Not quite accurate. As Isaac has mentioned before, the Kings could still do very well with no imports. But we don't have anywhere near the Australian talent that they have.

Chappell should have been out the door a couple of weeks ago - he was not what the Sixers needed, he looks slow, has no explosiveness and cannot finish as a result. His jumpshot and free throw shooting are very ordinary as well. As I've said previously, is there anything that he actually does better than Farley?

He needs to be replaced ASAP as does the guy who recruited him.

Reply #155043 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Yes, tell me why we got rid of Farley......
Chappell has NOT done anything of value so far and does not look to do that either....Farley still had a year left on hs contract and we all bagged out his defence, at least Willie made a few steals, Chappell's defence isn't anything to write home about......

Reply #155044 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

When you have a poor as season as what the Sixers had last season you obviously have to improve and look to upgrade at every position. I believe that Ballinger is an upgrade on Horvarth but Chappell is a downgrade on Farley, no question.

Reply #155048 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Chappell isn't the only one that needs to go.

Reply #155051 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

good point Stury6ers..i agree. Copeland desparately needs to go! he is a poor outside shooter and very slow on his drive..he just doesnt do anything to help the 36ers..Whats good to see is that the young guys like Ng and Sutton are playing well. Its good to have Sutton and Ng to fill that PG spot so it saves Brett having to worry about ball handling duties.

36ers need a decent big men.. to me guys like Dench and Cooper are weak.

Reply #155056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely agreed on Cooper and Dench. The most that both of them do is foul and get turnovers!

Reply #155059 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I'd shit myself if I had to watch Sutton and Ng carry the ball handling duties for the whole 48 minutes... Fine against a team like GC, but not against that Melbourne press.

NBA rosters have to be finalised today, surely there are some unemployed guys over there looking for a team.

Reply #155063 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

You would think that replacing an import would be easy. Its true there are no decent Australians left as a replacement, but with an import, you have the whole world to choose from. Even though Ninnis is not part of the coaching team, give him an assignment to travel to the US & find someone to bring back with him. All this could be done without immediate impact to the team. Apart from this, I can't imagine Ninnis being too busy at the moment to do this. The Kings do it all the time, other teams in the league have already done this season. Why wouldn't it work here?

Reply #155065 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Sadly and unfortunately I agree Mike Chappell has to go. The season can still be saved, but not with him in the lineup. I assumed he was going to be the teams leading scorer and take a lot of pressure off Maher....but every time he drives I hold my breathe. Its not even that bigger deal, in this business, imports that don't perform expect to get cut, its cut throat, as it should be for what they get paid...and what we pay as season ticket holders. Farley definitely wouldn't be the right fit either IMO.... but there has to be some solid 'scoring machine' type players out there looking to hear the phone ring!!!

Reply #155067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On behalf of every other club pls keep him

Reply #155069 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

when was the last time the sixers cut an import or any player midseason?

Reply #155094 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

I think he is still carrying a back injury and had this when he was signed! Still looks very soft and does not straighten up smoothly which infers he is not fit and should be cut from the squad we must get at least 20+points and 5+rebounds from our imports in pf and sf positions any thing less is not enough with the talent we have.

Reply #155099 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I must have been watching a different game then, Chappell and mottromm both called for 3 fouls without touching a player in the first quarter...does noone on this forum actually play basketball, are you not aware of how much that affect your game trying not to foul out.

Then in the 4th Chappell now has the freedom to not worry about fouling out in the 1st half and puts his points upto 16.

Take things in perspective...without those 6 awful foul calls would have been a different game, refs took 2 important players out for the majority of the game on BAD calls.

Reply #155101 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Absolute Horses..t Skud .

Sorry but they were all fouls .

Yes they were soft fouls but that made them all the more frustrating . Chappell was diggin and leaning in cause he is too slow to contain anyone so this created contact and everytime he closed out he would also make subtle but late contact .

Same as Mottram he gets pinged for fouls cause his movements are robotic , obvious and without smarts so more co-ordinated and crafty players use that to sucker some fouls .

Also the piss poor switch at all costs defence we run actually exposes our lack of pace and versatility creating fouls along with the mismatches .

Reply #155103 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Also Coach should have pulled Chappell when he got his second .

Reply #155105 | Report this post

Hay for my Horse  
Years ago

Ok Skud; lets just say you are right and Chappell clocked up 3 fouls that are all non calls in the 1st half.

Well what excuse has he got for the other games he has played?

The guy stinks on offense and is M.I.A. on defense. Who cares if he has an injury; what the hell was Phil thinking giving the guy a contract while he was in poor shape in the 1st place?

For Christ sake! Someone in the organization please stand up and make a statement that this crap stops this weekend!

Mal if you want to throw good money after bad, please give some to me.

Make the tough decision now and cut the non preforming import, and get Smyth and co to clear their lockers as well.

This is a carbon copy of last season, only some of the names have been changed.

Scotty N is sitting at home waiting for your call.

Reply #155119 | Report this post

RMM  
Years ago

Oh shut up wingers... Chappell is a quality player. although u guys think that this team of completely new faces could win a championship you have to be realistic. He needs time to adjust. in previous season 6ers have had majority smalls... now we have majority talls and its hard to rotate. Chappell is getting better and better and will continue to do so. I know its the same old same old but just give it time... next game is a must win!

Reply #155123 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

RMM c'mon now , ok lets say he contimues to improve at a steady rate as you say he is then what ? we can expect him to have a good game in round 28 .

Reply #155126 | Report this post

slippery pete  
Years ago

Jayson Wells or Bennett Davidson!

Reply #155132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well against new zealand he score 21, sydne y, 13, and last night 16 points, so at least he is consistently improving, he will only get better. Its not like he is throwing up air balls!

Reply #155185 | Report this post

Hay for my Horse  
Years ago

Best way to endear himself to the 6ers crowd is to actually have a half reasonable game at the Dome.

Time to stop the hand sitting me thinks!

RMM - Is that you Phil?

Reply #155188 | Report this post

Straw for my cow  
Years ago

I agree with you Skud. I thought the reffing at the start was way too close, and in the second half of the second quarter, the same situations were no call...?!?

The early fouls affected Chappell and Mottram, and unfortunately it makes it very hard to judge the game of either player last night.

Reply #155216 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Everyone looks at it with blinkers on and i doubt wheter some actually understand whats going on on the court. people are saying bring in a PG instead of chappell, not needed when davidson is fit as NG and sutton can split the minutes when davidson has a rest. give sutton 5 years like ng has and he will be alot better, has crazy quickness, can shoot but needs to do it more, needs to open his eyes a bit more and try and create, plays good defence apart from 2 occasions when he went behind a screen before needed and his player hit the 3 ball.

Cameron got away with alot of illegal screens - when he sticks that huge arse out.

Chappell - granted hasnt been great but i would say he was alot better again agains the blaze and was definately one of our best against the breakers. His defence is pretty good from where i was sitting, probably the best on the night, he did foul but it was only to stop a layup. He had alot of shots do a lap and then pop out and if a couple of them had dropped he would have scored 25 and no one would be saying a thing.

I personally enjoyed the game last night as it was a great game of bball marred by some soft calls and a questionable last play if it had gone into overtime once again no one would be saying a thing.. Great game by crowe but having copeland defend him for 5 mins in the 3rd i feel was silly as thats when he started lighting it up and brought them in it.
just my 2 cents worth

Reply #155221 | Report this post

tiptruck  
Years ago

my bet is wildcats import is waiting in the background to replace chappell...

Reply #155261 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

tiptruck...you mean phillips?

Reply #155262 | Report this post

tiptruck  
Years ago

rashaad phillips will replace mike chappell

Reply #155310 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Phillips looks like a decent player but we would have no small forwards if we did that, Ballinger and Copeland would probably be forced to pay that role, i thikn if we replace Chappell it would have to eb a SF unless we have a decent aussie SF to come in

Reply #155317 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754