Crocdile Rock
Years ago

A 2nd NBL Licence for Adelaide

I remeber an article some time ago about a 2nd NBL side in Adelaide.

Financially it could be done with the backing of some major SA sponsors who have disregarded or would want to compete with the Sixers.

Clipsal may get involved, West End and maybe even Vodafone.

Then there is the plight of what the 2nd team would be called. I would suggest that all BASA clubs fight for the licence like what happened when Port got the nod from the AFL in 1996.

If i was in charge, my team, which would fit under a salary cap would be:

PEPPER
ANSTEY
TUCKER
RILLIE
MANN

NASH (I think he would be the only 6er to change over)
TRUSLOVE
NEWLEY

with two development players to round off the roster, and by the time this team is in maybe those players could include Ingles, Craddock, Kies, Burdon etc.

What do people think?

Topic #1328 | Report this topic

Doctor E  
Years ago

Who would go for them? The Sixers are the number one in this town. Anyone who follows NBL, follows the Sixers.

Where would they play?

Would never work. Adelaide is struggling to keep one team above water. The NBL would never agree to it either.

Reply #15202 | Report this post

ohboy  
Years ago

But as BASA is 'nominally' the clubs and BASA has the sixers WHY would any of the clubs and who would be in a financial position to do so would want to vie for a second licence.

West Adelaide had a NBL team - cost to much merged with other club run teams to make sixers.

Noarlunga, West and North all had WNBL teams all folded due to costs.

Woodville had a SEABL/CBA licence for both men and women - dropped due to lack of money.

Norwood were in SEABL - funds
Murray Bridge were in SEABL - funds
Buffaloes and Opals ring a bell anyone?

When will the penny drop with you people that it is a costly enterprise running a national league or semi national like SEABL team.

If we struggle with teams/costs etc with one team how are we going to support two?

if sponsorship dollars aren't there for one club what makes you think you can get enough for two and if you think sponsorship is easy to get , try raising funds for your own club and see where you get.

Look at the ever diminishing WNBL teams and NBL teams travel costs etc are huge as is insurance costs etc

Reply #15208 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

A half capacity Dome is your answer....No chance

Reply #15209 | Report this post

Crocodile Rock  
Years ago

But if you were to choose the 36ers or this "NEW" Adelaide, who were financially backed, had recruited well and wanted to base themself in Adelaide, who wouldn't back them?

Im sure there are a few fans out there that if there was a choice wouldn't choose the 36ers.

Just starting a discussion!

Reply #15210 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

But what if the new team was made up of current disgruntled sixers and a few others....

Reply #15212 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hopefully the BASA clubs can turn operations around and get the flagship Sixers playing in front of a full stadium again.

I'd be interested to know how worried the current roster is about the financial plight of BASA!

Reply #15217 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Maybe a second team in SA that is not owned by BASA would force the Sixers to fold? An owner who needs to make a profit to make the team viable would promote and offer some wicked deals to the public. Competition in a limited market place for the public support would see one team folding and the team left standing would be the one who has the right business plan&

I say a second team is the only way to fire up BASA and get it right or fold see the Sixers&

Reply #15218 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

My point is in the last 5-6 years, the sixers have won 3 NBL championships and play an exciting brand of basketball. You cannot get much better success than this and we still cannot get the numbers to games. So how is another franchise going to succeed.

Reply #15220 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You get better crowds with the right prices, the right entertainment and the right marketing.

I don't think another franchise would be approved or is a good idea, but if they were, they would succeed by appealing to crowds with more affordable tickets, better entertainment, and more (and more efficient) marketing.

Reply #15221 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

MW I agree with your point, I was stating that maybe another team will be promoted differently then the Sixers. Winning is excellent and does draw crowds but if people who dig deep into their own pocket are not getting value for money, they will not attend Sixers games.

I am one to see a full house at every Sixers game and be fighting for a ticket each week. We agree that Adelaide can not support 2 teams, but if the current one is not doing it right then give someone else a go.

Reply #15222 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think BASA should lease the Sixers for a period to a privately run body. Leave promotions etc up to them, and just collect a yearly cheque. Its clear that BASA are struggling running the Sixers themselves. I don't know enough about it to comment on the reasons, but its clear there are major issues.
With a quality product that is the NBL, private business could make it work..

Reply #15223 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I agree with all your points Isaac and Rite.

Does anyone know the differences between the marketing ideas, entertainment and ticket prices from the time when we were selling out crowds to now? It has not been noticable to me.

Reply #15224 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

MW, It seems to be the state of basketball in general. When the sixers were selling out crowds basketball in general was at a high. Clubs were turning away kids because there were too many to choose from. These days, some clubs are in dire straits where numbers in juniors are concerned.

Maybe BASA could throw some money at advertising games on TV in prime kiddie time, not just advertising SuperCamp once a year. In all fairness to those organisers of the Camp, but kids these days don't have a clue who Al Green is.

I would say that ticket prices have a bit to do with it as does the fact that there is reasonable Sixers coverage on Fox.

Reply #15226 | Report this post

ohboy  
Years ago

Isaac to say that someone else would do it more efficently is an 'ideal' type situation what happens if another franchise takes over someone with big ideas and marketing deals if they don't follow thru with it.

soccer till recently has struggled to draw crowds in adelaide - rugby folded - netball which has a huge particpation level now only has one national league team here - pura milk cricket games don't attract crowds even these days i think you will find that the test wasn't overly well supported at australia are world champions.

doesn't it come back to lack of dollars to spend on entertainment and more ways and areas to spend that limited money.

the crux in this too is hands up anyone other than us in this forum or heavily involved in basketball really care about the game in general - I know people who have never been to dome or know where it is - and that profile isn't just down in adelaide it is down in all parts of oz - the game lacks profile
unfortunately

Reply #15228 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

No having 2 teams would be a monumental mistake!

Reply #15230 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

They said all these things about AFL in Adelaide as well. Look at the "second" team now!

Reply #15232 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Excellent points ohboy. Soccer last year had huge crowds due to the promotion of the game and the atmosphere at the ground. I attended one game last year and I think soccer is the most boring team sport on the planet, but the atmosphere was unreal and I ended up attending another few matches. I spent more time enjoying th eatmosphere then watching the game. Cricket do dollar days and you should see the crowds that turn up for those matches. SANFL do the double header matches in finals and they get excellent turn outs.

It all comes down to the dollar value and what they get for their money. This has been done before on this forum on how to promote the Sixers. The idea of a second team would make for competition and let the best club win. I would hate to see the Sixers fold as the club is developing a good history in the sport.

BASA have a lot to answer for the decline in basketball in this state and this is reflecting at the crowds at Sixer matches.

Reply #15233 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

ohboy,

I think your right. I was going through the A-G report and yes there may be some issues with some costs, or manning structures, but realistically it is hard to see the financial position being turned around simply through cost control. What is required is increased revenue.

There are lots of kids playing cricket and soccer but this participation alone does not guarantee spectator support at the elite levels. Basketball is the same...good participation across the range of junior b/ball but low attendance at NBL. I am convinced it is to do with the lack of dollars available to spend on non essential items.

Varying ticket prices will be an issue if the season ticket holders believe it is not in there best interests to remain season ticket holders.

Take 3400 (approx) season ticket holders x price reduction to see how much revenue is lost. Then divide that by the new season ticket price to see how many more season ticket holders are required to maintain the revenue base let alone increase it.

Is live viewing of elite sport now becoming an affluent person's benefit and the only way others will see the game is through FTA or pay television. But for that to happen you must have people wanting to watch it to generate ratings.

Perhaps MJ's impact was far greater than improving the lot of NBA players in recent decades. We need another global icon that brings in the youngsters and regenerates the hype in the games from the late 80's to mid 90's.

Reply #15234 | Report this post

ohboy  
Years ago

what is the tv audience for afl? and don't tell me that port adelaide until recently sold the stadium out because they didn't top 3 years running and it still didn't equate to a full house

as a sponsor with money to spend ask yourself are you going to put it in to afl where it is seen and perhaps acted on your audience is 50000 at the ground and millions on tv or do you put it into basketball, tv audience limited to foxtel viewers and only crowds of 5-6000 in most venues

Reply #15235 | Report this post

ohboy  
Years ago

a football can be kicked in the street it doesn't need any structure like a backboard - it can be played in the backyard on the grass or on the local oval - basketball's don't last long on asphalt and great for passing drills and dribbling skills but without a court and a ring you're kids playing in the street ...........

anyone work in a sports store what is sold most? footballs or basketballs?

footy strips and merchandise or basketball merchandise nba or nbl?

Reply #15237 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Rite,

Perhaps you can clarify what you mean by BASA having a lot to answer for. Let's be objective. Can you identify actions taken with which you disagree or should have taken but didn't rather than a sweeping statement. We can then debate those points.

Reply #15238 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

We can agree that football is well marketed and has more sponsorship appeal then basketball, but basketball still competed against the sport years ago in this state. Year ago basketball was a winter sport and was in direct competition with the AFL and now they are not. The decline in the attendance is due to what factors? Prices, the change to summer, poor marketing, community dollar and willing to spend money on entertainment& Who knows?

???. I apologise if I made a sweeping statement. BASA do have control of the Sixers and control over operation of basketball in this State. Forget about all the other issues, we are only talking Sixers here. If the crowds are in decline then why wouldn't you do something about it? Un-audited reports, district playing prices on the rise etc etc is not good business. The ways things are operated and the direction steams from the top. The direction of the Sixers should be to have them self supported and I am not sure if they are or not, but I would assume them are not. Advanced apologise if they are.

I do not agree with the second team idea in Adelaide, but I am trying to argue the other side of the fence. The second team would add to market competition and a little competition never hurt anyone.

Reply #15240 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've said it before, but competition for your money is stronger and stronger, and the alternatives are not just AFL, NSL and so on -- they're things like mobile phones, internet connections, pay TV and so on. The NBL in its prime didn't necessarily face fans who had so many automatic deductions from their bank accounts, or so many monthly bills.

There are names in the NBA today that are not far behind Jordan, Bird and Magic in level of skill, but the difference with regard to Australian exposure is that when I was a teen, NBA Action was on TV on the weekend, and NBA games were broadcast at 2AM. Losing that exposure certainly hasn't helped the situation, but I've wondered if NBL clubs could do worse than promoting the NBA alongside its own game, or having a "brother team" in much the same way that Adelaide has its 5 sister cities.

I would never suggest that whoever is running the Sixers has an easy job on their hands in attracting fans and convincing them to part with their money, but I strongly believe that they could be doing things far smarter and more efficiently than they are now.

Fans at an NBL game are a truly captive audience and I think that this could be better sold to potential sponsors. I've mentioned someone like Microsoft and Xbox, or Gametraders before -- why hasn't there been NBA Live 05 or Halo 2 demos at games? Have there been any strong and memorable promotions for mobile phone companies and contracts? For Internet providers like Internode or Bigpond?

Reply #15244 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

They said all these things about AFL in Adelaide as well. Look at the "second" team now!

Anon, I can see what type of point you are making but the difference between the 6ers and the crows of 97 was that the crows had over 40,000 members and heaps more waiting to latch onto season tickets.

If the same was for the 6ers in terms of fan support i would be all for it

Reply #15248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think the fact that the nbl is on foxtel has a lot to do with it. A lot of people dont have it and therefore arent exposed to the nbl through tv. Going back ten years ago there was nbs action, nbl on a friday night (even if it was at 10:30) and the once a week nba game. Every kid had access to it.

Reply #15250 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Foxtel is going into more and more homes Australia wide all the time. Not sure on the numbers but it's really becoming mainstream these days. I don't think the problem is the people that don't have access to Fox. The problem is more that the people that do have Fox clearly aren't watching much NBL.

Reply #15251 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

U can't compare to footy. Footy has a much bigger fan base, its on TV all weekend, during the week. BIG dollars are thrown at it. The two sports are not even close. Just look at players' salaries. First year kids not getting a game on an AFL list would make more than most NBL stars just on their base salary. They then get a $3,500 match fee for every game they play.

Reply #15254 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Ok the second NBL team what are the advantages. Better utilisation of the stadium, more games surely the 36'ers fan base will not shrink further so the second team needs to get a new fan base. Admission prices should be reduced and could conceivably be lower with some costs shared,33 home games not half that number which means bar takings up, car park etc. more. Maybe it would not be as hard as people think to attract new sponsors to a new team not everyone is in love with the style of the current 36'ers. If there is a $100 sponsorship base two teams does not necessary mean it averages out to $50 each. Who said interest in basketball can not increase and bring in a new fan and sponsor base. Certainly there would be four or six games that would have the place rocking with fans cheering for the 36'ers or the new team. It would sure beat only having one team with all the support. What is better seeing the Power play Geelong with deathly quiet when a goal is kicked or playing against the woosy Crows when one team scores the crowd erupts.
The publicity generated the weeks both teams play each other would increase, who knows The Advertiser may even put a different sports writer on and we would get another opinion apart from nagy. Thats worth taking a chance just for that!
More opportunities for local players, and isnt that part of the brief of BASA to promote basketball. May be the reason the 36'ers are struggling is that it just has be come too boring. I want to go to games where there is constant buzz fans yelling and sreaming for either team not just where everyone there supports just the one team. The Power showed it could be done but thats because we had the guts to have a go!

Reply #15255 | Report this post

ohboy  
Years ago

back when basketball was up against football as winter sport in adelaide was realistically before the crows and port hit the afl.

the 6ers of the late 80s at apollo had sell outs with people begging for tickets to get in and the atmosphere was electric but in the late 80s the crows and the power were in the future. to get to an afl game one had to travel interstate or sit and watch it on tv and sanfl was played during the day not in direct competition to the nbl.

agreed back then i didn't have a mobile phone nor a computer with internet connect nor foxtel tv all are extras fighting for my dollar.

so you can't say nbl competed against afl when it played in winter cause realistically that comparasion doesn't wash.

funny though back in 1992 australian women failed to win a place at the barcelona olympics and the luc longley - bulls partnership was yet to come yet as a country with stars like lauren jackson and the women being consistent medalists our sport on the spectator arena has faltered.

perhaps we should just be finger pointing or hair pulling about basa just what has BA or the NBL done over the past few years seems when speed and palmer where in control the sport had forward momentum

Reply #15270 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Eeveryone seems to be lost in the idea of a 2nd license would have something to do with BASA.

Surely, if a 2nd license was to ever be granted to Adelaide (which I cannot see in the short - medium term future), it would be owned, and operated by a totally separated consortium / business/ entity, therefore making a lot of these points about BASA moot.

It would be a team run in competition to the 36ers, as opposed to in conjunction.

They would have their own separate incomes, separate expenditures, the only real link to BASA would be the fact that obviously some local players would get an oppurtunity with the new team.

I personally like the idea of a second team, I actually would go and watch both sides play (provided I could afford to do so)

Reply #15274 | Report this post

Crocodile Rock  
Years ago

With a 2nd team, BASA or someone could provide a multi ticket, like SANFL members ticket?

Reply #15314 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I doubt it. As I mentioned, a second team would be run as something totally separate to BASA and the 36ers, so a multi ticket I could never see being on the cards.

Of course, all the talk so far is purely hypothetical, I could not see a second team in Adelaide in at least the next 5-10 years.

Reply #15318 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

With all the trouble at BASA at the moment i beleive that this is the last thing that SA should be worrying about.

Reply #15326 | Report this post

Donny  
Years ago

How about BASA sell the 6ers?

Reply #29989 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754