Crocodile Rock
Years ago

A Naturalised Dusty

I think this will benefit the 36ers BIG TIME!

There has been chat of Dusty becoming an Aussie, whats the time frame of this whole thing?

Can it be done today Adelaide have a shot at Timmons, Tucker?

In an IDEAL WORLD!

Topic #1329 | Report this topic

genna  
Years ago

i think that is the only place u will find that happening - an IDEAL WORLD. and this world aint it

Reply #15213 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I beleive under International rules that Dusty would have to play the next 3 seasons as an import and then he could vacate the import tag.

I have always thought that this would be an interesting legal battle. Yes you can become and Australian citizen, we will tax you and allow you to buy property here, you can have your name on a passport and come and go as you please just don't try to play basketball as and Australian.

In my book that is discrimination. A citizen of the country is being treated differently to everybody else.

Reply #15214 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

This issue has been explored. Kelvin Henderson, former Sydney Kings import, lodged proceedings before the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission in 1992. His pleadings were based around racial discrimination. The Commission found that neither the NBL Managment or ABF had based any rules on race, so his case was dismissed. You can read the transcripts here:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/disp.pl/au/cases/cth/HREOCA/1992/8.html?query=%5e+basketball

Henderson v NBL Management Ltd & the Australian Basketball Federation Inc. [1992] HREOCA 8 (25 May 1992)

Courts are reluctant to interfere with administrative decisions and rules. An example is the AFL Draft. A textbook example of restraint of trade, would be highly illegal in normal business dealings. There has been talk of challenging the Draft system on constitutional grounds for some time, but it would be a mammoth case, and have consequences for all professional sports.

I sat in on the Natalie Avelino case earlier this year, and alot of these topics were discussed, but never determined by the Court..

Reply #15219 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

it may be discrimination Kent, but i feel its a crucial rule. We don't want to go back to the days of 4 or 5 Americans in the team. Realistically only 8 players get significant courtime, we wont medal at the Olympics if only 35-40 Aussies in the league are playing

Reply #15225 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Who are the current players playing today who have been naturalised?

Reply #15227 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Mike Kelly,Lanard Copeland, maybe Melvin Thomas, Damon Lowery, help me out....

Reply #15229 | Report this post

ohboy  
Years ago

ricky grace - derek rucker

Reply #15231 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Rob Rose, Darryl McDonald.

They all seem to be from the same era. Came out here in the early to mid 90's or earlier. We aren't seeing imports stick around long enough these days to ever become Aussies.

Maybe the salary cap is the cause of this, or maybe it's the increased standard of Australians that has reduced the impact of imports.

Reply #15236 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Didn't Dusty already play for Malaysia?

Reply #15247 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Play in, not for.

Reply #15265 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:56 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754