Stevie J
Years ago

Offensive Transition - Principles

What principles or 'team rules' do the coaches out there instill in their teams?

Mine are:

Always hit an open team mate that's ahead of the ball,
Wings need to get to the block then lead back.
First big up the court is looking for a basket seal.
Trail big goes to weak side elbow.

What sets of rules does everyone else use?

Topic #13293 | Report this topic

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

Shoot to score

Reply #155288 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Spacing and timing are imperative for offensive transition.

Have the 2 and 3 players stay out of the dead zones (foul line extended, make sure they are parallel with the key way or on the baseline especially if the other side is playing a zone. Don't sit in the dead zones and make it easy for the defensive side to cheat on defensive transition.

Ball movement and keep the ball in the middle of the court. Scoring quickly is not the best option especially if your defensive transition is poor. Offensive transition is not simply about scoring; it's about transferring the ball up the court.

Reply #155318 | Report this post

Anfield  
Years ago

My personal rule is (with the ball), unless a teammate is that far ahead of you that you can get an easy bucket, don't pass. The more the ball moves, the higher risk of a turnover. Try to get close to the basket, fake the pass to a teammate. Defenders usually anticipate a pass. If you want to pass the ball, elevate for the layup, if the defender comes to you, then drop it down for your teammate.

If you are without the ball, try cutting diagonally to the basket, or hang back for the trailer 3.

Reply #155323 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

Coaches cant stress enough of having the trailer! You will get alot of points off your guards hitting the trailer
If timed right, it works a treat!

Reply #155430 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Screen Away.

Reply #155436 | Report this post

He who hesitates, mast..bates! My rule. All that sh..t above is sh..t.! Anfield clueless! Sorry also dumb, stupid and goes against all good coaches. That why we have this forum. DonĀ“t pass ahead in transition. Then we have no transition.

Reply #155441 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Who said the sixers don't need a coach!

You guys are up for the job...aaarrrrgghhhh!

Reply #155460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scoring quickly is not the best option

I know I HATE it when my team scores quickly.....

Laughable.

Reply #155509 | Report this post

HereIsHowWeDo  
Years ago

Stevie J,

Pretty much the same as you.

Have the lane runners run hard and wide.

Get your bigman running down the middle right under the ring.

Get your 1 man receiving the 1st pass preferrably in the open floor.

Get your 1 man hitting the lane runners, I prefer my one man to dribble the ball through the centre of the court 1st though. Unless lane runners will get an open layup I prefer my 1 man to hit them in a scoring area IE anywhere inside 2 feet outside the 3 pt line.

After he hits the lane runner. Get your 1 man running to the elbow and your lane runner trying to take it to the rack and the weakside lane runner cutting through the opposite blocks.

THe key to good transition is the outlet pass and where the 1 man receives the ball. The rest will fall into place.

Pretty simple really.

I'll normally go into a "quick hitter" for my secondary break into motion from there.

Reply #155520 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

Before you try and make someone else look like an imbecile; read the entire quote and try and understand what it mean in contest.

If you are a poor defensive transition side it can be very dangerous trying to outrun your opposition. By getting into a track meet (up and down the court quickly) will be very dangerous because you own side will not be able to get back on defence or slow the ball down and this will increase the oppositions scoring opportunities.

Last time I looked winning the game was more important that scoring points quickly and if the other side scored 100+ and you don't&.well I guess you have lost the game.

Read the entire quote and use it in its true context moron.

Reply #155521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Last time I looked winning the game was more important that scoring points quickly and if the other side scored 100+ and you don't&.well I guess you have lost the game.'

does that remind you of any teams joe?? ;o)

Reply #155522 | Report this post

Joe Idea?  
Years ago

Joe,

Then use correct language!!

SCORING is ALWAYS the best option.

And by having to resort to calling people names, well, I guess it just shows you are completely outclassed by people on this site.

Reply #155523 | Report this post

settle gretel  
Years ago

I think what was initally meant was that *shooting* quickly is not always the best option.

Obviously scoring quickly is great, but i think there was a small faux pas (which everyone loves jumping all over).

Shooting quickly in a transition can be killer for teams with poor defensive transition (teams that struggle to find match-ups, or contain an opposition point).

Reply #155524 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:11 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754