Kent Brockman
Years ago

Is the coach that important?

I am not making this a pro / con Phil debate just interested to here people's thoughts on this line of thinking.

If the squad is good enough does the coach become redundant?

Any one on here would have coached the Dream Team to gold in Barcelona and according to what i read on here most think the same of North Adelaide's win this year and Schueller.

Phil took over a very deep roster, then tweaked it the following year and won again. The 2001 team was again full of talent.

Is Joey Wright that good of a coach because his over the cap talent pool is so good or is Goorj better because he betas them with one import?

Take the quoted Mark Thompson and Geelong with the same talent they won, by his own admission he did nothing different between the two years but got far different results.

Last year we had a team of nice guys who seemingly thought it was plain rude to beat the opposition.

Davidson in the squad will see results turned around real quick for the Sixers IMO because he influences the team that much.

I am starting to think it is more roster than coaching that is important.

Topic #13304 | Report this topic

Ryno  
Years ago

Bulls - Phil Jackson....

Reply #155329 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think that it is ridiculous that some people seem to think that a coach is not needed in a competitive team sport like basketball! That is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard and those that believe this obviously have no sporting knowledge at all. Next these guys will say there is no need for Managers at work, no need for police (People should be able to police themselves), no need for University College lecturers (the students should be able to teach themselves by now).

Reply #155331 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

KJ i am not saying that the coach is either needed or not needed, what i am asking is if there is less demanded on the coach if the talent of the squad is good enough.

Chuck Daly did not call a single time out because his talent was good enough to destroy teams with little direction or input. Has Phil been caught up in this same scenario where for the first 4 years the team was that good that he had to do little to direct them.

Now that the talent is not there to win by remote control it highlights more the potential short comings of the coach.

The coach may be doing nothing different to what he normally finds successful but now due to the personality of the squad it just does not work.

Reply #155334 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think it's quite that, but more that Phil might leave more to the Hoops Gods. e.g., you can train hard and do everything right, but sometimes the shots fall and sometimes they don't, maybe your star gets injured, etc. So, perhaps as he's left more to the players just doing their thing, the disadvantages of that approach have come to the fore.

Reply #155339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there is no doubt that good players make the coach but not necessarilly the reverse is true.

Reply #155351 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Kent,

IMO the '98, '99 and 2001 Championship winning teams were not the most talented going around at the time. They had talent yes, but none of those teams were a sure thing, particularly the 2001 team which was a shock grand finalist, let alone winner.

The corollary is the 2005/6 Bullets, champion team on paper but couldn't put it together and seriously underacheived.

The coach is there to get a talented team and turn it into a team of champions. I don't believe it is luck, or just 'roster', but at the same time I don't think it can all be put down to the coach.

Take Malcolm Blight at the Crows. Took over a mediocre team that was struggling, which then overacheived for two years and grabbed all their chances to win consecutive premierships, and then underacheived beyond belief in the third year. Few people would say that Blight is not a good coach, but what works, works when it works. Blight then got himself fired a few years later at his next coaching stint.

A coach without good players can't win, neither can good players without a coach (Dream Team may be an exception). Maybe it is just best to think of a coach as a crucial cog in the team.

Reply #155354 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Any coincidence that the BASA gravy train no longer exists?
Std of the talent was higher when we were rorting the system, as others are now???

Reply #155362 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

It's an interesting point. Sometimes they don't seem to matter that much but most of the time a new good coach can really turn teams around. Coaches often have a very big impact on how teams perform.

Reply #155365 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

coach 20%
roster 30%
luck 50%

Reply #155376 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

And injuries (perhaps that comes under...luck.)
Brad Davidson .

Reply #155380 | Report this post

MVP?  
Years ago

When did Brad Davidson become MVP of the league??. Surely a team should be able to win without him. Injuries are part of sport.

Reply #155411 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Watching him play in our trials and the first game,I just think we would win a few more games with him playing.

Reply #155415 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I think at this level a coach is their to guide the players and tell them whats going on in the overal game. If the players are missing shots, not getting rebounds then how can you blame the coach..the players are paid to do exactly that, if they suck they should be going home and practicing, its their job and they get paid freakin well enough to put in the effort.

A coach cannot tell you to get the ball in, and at this level nor can they tell you how to shoot, its to late for that.

Reply #155422 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So given that we're losing and it's not the coach's fault, would you cut a player? If so, who and what replacement would you bring in?

Reply #155444 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Is it sixers 700th game on saturday?
I don't think Brett Maher needs much coaching whilst playing for the 36ers.
Joyce was pacing up and down coaching everything.
Plenty to say to Dench and time keepers.
Fired up Crowe and Cameron, got the win.
Our coach was quiet.
Whether to cut the coach or a player, right now, I wouldn't. Davidson playing, things are a whole lot better.

Reply #155450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches can make a massive difference. The coaches decide on the overall process, team selection, playing style.

The team will often take on the personality of the coach.

Game plans, scouting, substitutions, all decided by coach.

I suggest all this and more has a pretty big influence on a game/season.

The players must execute but again that is as much about the coach as it is the players.

Good players can make a coach look good, great players can make a coach look great, I will admit that but over time you can see through the bulls.it

Luck has a little to do with it and you need it on your side.

Overall a well coached team will have success more often than a poorly coaches team.

Reply #155466 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this. At this level of basketball one of the coach's most important jobs is putting together the right roster for the system he wants to run. Smythe did a great job of that in his early years, his recruiting midas touch was legendary (KB and Farley from nowhere, unleashed a previously mediocre Cat's potential, ditto Stiff and Mee to an extent). Then we went through a few years of fiancial turmoil where his hands were tied to an extent. The fact Mal's come on board this season and Phil's pretty much got the horses he was looking for and we still suck doesn't bode well for Phil's future.

I'd suggest the ability to recruit and retain top notch players is as important as the x & ys and leadership of the unit once the season's away.

Reply #155485 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Is it gospel that "financial turmoil" ever effected our roster? I don't know either way, but I understand we have always spent the cap. Are people just assuming that's the case?

Reply #155501 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In the year most impacted by finances (e.g., under the watch of Ferrier Hodgson), I believe we still spent more or less the cap. It was a touch under because, AFAIK, we had budgeted a certain amount for the second import spot and got Horvath for a little less. I've not heard anything over recent years to suggest that we have spent significantly under the cap, whatever that's worth.

Reply #155502 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Doc,

Certainly for at least one year the Sixers were only prepared to offer one year contracts (except, curiously, to Mark Nash - who they reportedly secured for bargain basement prices and performance).

Reply #155504 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nash didn't come as cheap as people might've thought, I heard. Don't tell Squid or they might cry.

Reply #155507 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

So it might have been more about long term security then? The whole Nash thing really confuses me. It makes no sense at all.

Reply #155508 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Issac
How many dollars were siphoned out of the BASA system, in cash form!
Car park fees?
Cash at stadiums?
Mark Davis had houses built. Homes could easily be built with untracable creditors and payments.
We never used to be anywhere near the cap.
Ferrier Hodgson may call it a balance day adjustment.

Given this back drop it was easy to recruit top players and coaches from the states( 3 of them at one stage).
Now it has to actually pay its own way in a market dominated by AFL.
I don't believe we will see a turn around for quite some time.
For the coach who started in one circumstance and now is in another, the playing fields have changed to something very different and he has little control with limited cash.

Reply #155510 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Isaac, in reply to post #155444. Whilst Smyth has been supporting Chappell publicly, it would be a derelict of duty if they haven't been scouting for another import should Chappell not come up to scratch. The trigger won't be pulled until they know someone is available to step into the breach straight away and rightly so. Smyth will not bough out of this thing without trying every trick to deflect criticism from him, that is his nature. First port of call will be the 'change import' scenario with the caveat of 'unfortunately Mike was behind the eight ball from the start with his back injury and all. We gave him every opportunity to come good but it just wasn't to be.'
Mike seems like a nice guy but the fact of the matter is he is not match fit even though the supposed 'back' issue is fixed. The world of being an import is cut-throat and the change should have been made weeks ago. Mike himself would understand that. So whilst I agree with this decision it is far too late. Sure, it's not pleasant but a strong leader has to make these decisions.
You will never hear 'I take full responsibility for the situation we're in' from Phil. Funnily enough though if he did do that, they may find the players respond. Quite often happens that way, but at the moment you can see the players body language switching off. It's not a happy camp despite all the rhetoric you hear in the press.

Reply #155513 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dr Damage - no arguments from me. Just saying that they haven't had ultra-budget teams compared with other sides in the league.

Izzy - replacing Chappell is exactly what I'd try too. Though, with Davidson back and soft targets coming up (Breakers in Adelaide, Singapore on the road), a couple of wins could relieve pressure.

Was mostly looking for Skud's thoughts - they appear to lump some blame on Ng and Sutton going by their thread earlier this week.

Reply #155515 | Report this post

Wrap  
Years ago

So what you are saying Issac? Is that Smyth can only win when he is bought a team that has the best talent, by going way over the salary cap! Or that coaches like Beveridge at WS and Cook at the Gong are doing a much better job than Smyth, because both of these teams are opperating under the same circumstances that Smyth is in.

Reply #155525 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Trying to avoid commenting directly actually!

I do think that Beveridge had a great start and that the Hawks have shown that missing a couple of very key players doesn't write off your chances at all.

Save for the top dogs and Slingers (bit more predictable), I think it's been an interesting season so far. I thought 5-8 would be even but 5-12 can all beat each other on their night.

Reply #155527 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754