twenty four
Years ago

Here's what still annoys me about Phil.....

Two things. I don't know if they have brought up in another thread or not, so if they have I appologise. And yes, I know there are plenty of anit-Phil threads going around, but....

1) During that run that the Blaze put togehter to get back into the game, did Phil call a timeout at all? I can't seem to recall one and do remember saying to my buddy that I was at the game with many a time 'we really need a timeout'.

Maybe Phil did eventully call one, I'm not sure, but he seems have an inability to call them when needed. It has been a problem for quite some time now (as long as can remember, in fact). Timeouts are exactly that - a stop in the game to reassess everything, and although they may not stop the bleeding everytime, they sure would help.

2) Why does he keep players in games when they are foul trouble? I think Chappell had 3 in the first quarter yet still didn't get taken out until some time later.

This stuff has happended far too often, with Horvath all last and even Dusty before that, Phil keeps them in too long and they end up fouling out quite early.

When a player notches up his 2nd foul in the 1st Q, you take him out. Then it is the 3rd in the 2nd, 4th in the 3rd. Most other coaches seem able to do this, so why can't Phil?

So basically, putting my two complaints into one ending, it gets frustrating to see the Head Coach of the team I am paying money to see be so lazy, which almost always without fail ends up hurting the team.

Rant over.

Topic #13311 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah I don't think no one mentioned about leaving players with foul trouble in the game. I remember seeing Chappell and Mottram both in at the same time in the last quarter for lots of minutes with 5 fouls each. The problem with this is that it means we have 2 players who have to play hesitant defence so that they will remain in the game, taking the pressure of the Gold Coast players. I guess when they had fouls earlier on in the game it would have been smarter to take them out however leaving them on or off in the last quarter is debatable. I guess as the game is on the line this risk needs to be taken however if they were taken out earlier they might not have been faced with this risk.

Reply #155412 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

He took a time-out after it reached 6-0 run, IIRR. Didn't help though, they gave up a 7-0 or so run straight after.

Reply #155417 | Report this post

Good to hear in the ´tiser that the sixers will win next week because they are angry.

"Normally you're upset and disappointed with a loss but this time we're angry."

"That anger has to be carried into the game against New Zealand and channelled into the way we play defence."

By that rational the coaching staff should have started suiting up the fans last year!

Reply #155420 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Chappell and Mottram both played limited minutes after getting the 3 fouls, Chappell even walked straight to the bench on his 3rd knowing he would be sitting down. They were finally let loose in the 4th quarter, when it would not have matter so much if they had of been fouled out.

Time outs were called during the run, a 6-0 run is only 2 shots or should we call a time out everytime a team scores 2 shots and we miss???

If your going to bitch about Phil atleast get it right.

Reply #155421 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, a time out was called but did not stem the flow unfortunately.

We have bigs to back up Mottram so risking him on two fouls isn't such a big deal. Plus, in the fourth, better to play your better players and take that risk than keep them out until the final minute.

Reply #155425 | Report this post

smooth pockets  
Years ago

It was a great timeout actually. Also Phil was pretty fired up in it, calling the defense soft.

The response from the players was pathetic.

Reply #155462 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

The timeout was called after a 8-0 run but it didn't do anything. The team were robably shocked that he called a timeout.........

Reply #155496 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Speaking of bigs......is somthing up with Cooper?? He didn't see a lot of time against Blaze?

Reply #155533 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not that I'm aware of - I think Smyth might've just been looking to solidify minutes for the other bigs. Plus, Cameron might've been too strong for Coops?

Reply #155535 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:38 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754