Aus Camp 2008
Years ago

Australian Camp Lists January 2008

Australian Camp in January 2008. Here are the names. Heaps of South Australians. Well done to all.

Australian Camp Lists

Topic #13334 | Report this topic

ANON12  
Years ago

HEAPS OF SOUTH AUSTRALIANS!!! WHERE????
When I first saw this on the BA website I was amazed at the LACK of South Australians in the lists.
2009 EMUS - 25 named. 4 x SA Metro. 0 X SA Country.
2009 GEMS - 21 named. 1 x SA Metro. 3 x SA Country.
2011 EMUS - 20 named. 1 x SA Metro. 1 x SA Country.
2011 GEMS - 24 named. 2 x SA Metro. 1 x SA Country.
Total - 8 x SA Metro. 5 x SA Country.

13 out of 86 this equates to only 11% of the total.

Is this an indication of the standard of Junior Basketball in SA. At Under14 level the clubs appear to compete well at a National Level. When the U16/U18/U20 Nationals are held then SA does not appear to fair too well. Is this an indictment on the standard of coaching and coaches within SA. Personally I don't believe that there are ONLY 13 players in this state capable of being selected for these teams. What is the answer????

Reply #155669 | Report this post

ANON13  
Years ago

11% of the camp, 7% of the Australian population. We are over-represented. ANON12 you are a doomsayer, and YOU are the problem with SA basketball. You whine about it and offer problems with no solutions, the coaches and the players continue to do something about it!

Reply #155670 | Report this post

Anon14  
Years ago

We have more than WA which has a much larger population.

We have 1 less than Queensland which has more than triple our population.

Only Vic and NSW have more representatives than us. Not bad if I;m making the judgements.

Maybe our results at 14 Nationals has more to do with good coaching at club level. Whereas when yuo get to State level the numbers of players that NSW and VIC have outweighs everybody.

Reply #155671 | Report this post

ANON13  
Years ago

PS According to your own figures it is actually 13 out of 90 which is 14.4%, so we are doubly over-represented.

Reply #155672 | Report this post

ANON14  
Years ago

Anon13, the 7% of the population is irrelevant. If you had a % of SA basketball players compared to the nation it would mean something.

Reply #155673 | Report this post

ANON13  
Years ago

I disagree. Do you have those figures? I don't, and they are largely irrelevant anyway. Even if you or I did have them they are would not be reliable. I know for years there have been problems in the collection of this data from State to State.

Anyway, the greater the population, the greater the pool of quality athletes that there is to choose from. Turning these athletes into basketballers is about competition, talent identification and development programs. Population is not the only determinant but it is the major one, that is why NSW and Victoria dominate the squad lists.

No reasonable person could argue we are not punching above our weight based upon these figures.

Reply #155674 | Report this post

The Blue Wiggle  
Years ago

I think its because one club poaches all the good players and is destorying the comp in SA

Reply #155675 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Which of those girls will now be on scholarship at the instute? Does that mean all the Sa girls will be playing for the institute in the WNBL next year?

Reply #155677 | Report this post

Omygosh  
Years ago

Couple of SA kids very unlucky to miss out, particularly Spehr!

Reply #155678 | Report this post

Funky  
Years ago

Institute players....are they physically up to it? Or are they just favourites?

Reply #155679 | Report this post

Secret Sabre  
Years ago

ANON12 and the Blue Wiggle

Maybe more players should come and play at Sturt.

They have at least 1 player in each group. Maybe if more clubs addopted similar principles we would have more players attending these camps.

I wonder how many other clubs in Australia have more than 5 players attending?

Reply #155681 | Report this post

The Blue Wiggle  
Years ago

(Mod: Removed) ...we would have not lost players and then we would have more players at these camps.

Reply #155683 | Report this post

Secret Sabre 2  
Years ago

Blue Wiggle,

4 of the 5 Sturt players going to camp have only ever played their basketball at Sturt, so your second point doesn't hold up.

Your first point, you are a brave person saying that.

SS2

Reply #155690 | Report this post

hooper  
Years ago

A glaring ommission in the 2011 is the name N. Spear

is he able to go or was he not picked. Seems strange if he was not picked to be there.

Reply #155702 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

what about clabrin for sturt? and bond? yer they might be last years or sumthing just wondering about them

Reply #155709 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Claybrin is in there, Afroman.

No Bond.

Reply #155713 | Report this post

reed3  
Years ago

Of the SA boys who missed out that made the U/16 September Camp?

Reply #155738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is a good list, there is some talent alright but as some have mentioned there is some talent not mentioned. There is some poitics inside the sport and being under the eye of the State & SASI coaches is the best way to get to Aus Camp and be noticed. or be 6'5" plus and have some potential. Don't be up set if you missed out, improve and you will get there eventually Just look at the girl from Mav's Tess. After all these years she made it to the AIS good on here.

Reply #155740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spehr is not out of the picture, he is good enough to be there and the SA Country kid did a great job in September I am told.

Good players often miss these camps and it does not mean that they are not good anymore. It is about narrowing down a list and trying others in positions and comming up with some form of group to be able to compete at the Junior Worlds.

Your U/16 boys were tougher than people think, the coach is a very good coach and they will be good in the long run. Some support, instead of blame will help SA.Basketball. The Vics are well represented and so they should be after their tournament, but if you look at the WA kids in the 2009 group, there are very good players who made the National Championship game, miss out.

It is how they perform and what the coaches are looking for long term.

Hang in there things are going along well especially in the juniors programs

Reply #155753 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Have to be tall and athletic I believe....bit of skill might help too

Reply #155797 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

secret sabre

i think that you will find that dandenong have a large number attending as well

Reply #155801 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I know we're not supposed to discuss juniors but hey, I'm just saying well done. Congrats BR from SA Country, in being named. Sky's the limit, young fella.

Reply #155985 | Report this post

Secret Sabres  
Years ago

anon,

As far as I can see they have 6.

2009 Emu's x 0
2009 Gem's x 2
2011 Emu's x 3
2011 Gem's x 1

Reply #155991 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

secret sabre thanks for that - 2009 gems 3 so 7 altogether not a bad effort.

Reply #155994 | Report this post

astor  
Years ago

Is Dandenong the new powerhouse of Victorian basketball ?? What is happening to Nunawading and how many athletes do they have in the mix?

Reply #156035 | Report this post

Who Me?  
Years ago

Moses,

BR is now getting a couple of Senior Games at South, so you can probably name him. He is also in U20's so no longer subject to the U18 restrictions.

Reply #156040 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

astor

Nuna's representation is:

2009 Emu's x 0
2009 Gem's x 0
2011 Emu's x 0
2011 Gem's x 2

I may be wrong about 2011 emus.

Reply #156043 | Report this post

amanda jones  
Years ago

i think dande has 2 in the 2011 gems (1 country 1 metro) so its 8 now - go nonga dome

Reply #156045 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Plus Moses, he has a super coach teaching him this season!!! ;)

Reply #156046 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

astor - not sure what is happening at nuna - i do know that there have been heaps of coaching changes over the past couple of years in the senior ranks and there seem to be plenty of unhappy campers there!

Reply #156070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nuna is going through a change however they have a good 18's and a couple of the junior boys played in the 16' winning Vic Side in Ballarat and could well be in the mix for the 18's next year, once again in Ballarat.

Reply #156074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nuna is going through a change however they have a good 18's and a couple of the junior boys played in the 16' winning Vic Side in Ballarat and could well be in the mix for the 18's next year, once again in Ballarat.

Reply #156075 | Report this post

amanda jones  
Years ago

The secret is out - is everyone happy with that?

Reply #156502 | Report this post

alan  
Years ago

Which girls in the ais squad are bigs. What spots do Kunek, Jarry and Moult play and what sort of players are they?

Reply #156742 | Report this post

amanda jones  
Years ago

kunek should be a 2/3 jarry will head more to a 2? and moult forward ( and a good one)

the bigs are cambage oliver rowe and joy

Reply #156829 | Report this post

camel  
Years ago

Good to see Rosie Moult not overlooked due to being injured. Great player,really nice kid and by the sounds of it a good team person. Congratultions Rosie.

Reply #156860 | Report this post

stephie  
Years ago

What about the under 16 girls, what happened to the girl Stonehouse from Vic Metro, thought she was a shoe in, very surprised.

What about Hooey from SA what is happening with her??

Reply #156974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who are the under 16 girls from SA that got in.

Reply #156978 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Some glaring omissions and additions! Some choices just dont compare to whose been missed?

Reply #157092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From a SA perspective, I think most would agree that 2 of the 3 girls from SA were obviously merit based and politics will always explain omissions and surprising additions.

Reply #157108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And 2-3 other were very unlucky not to be picked to even trial. Two of the best players from the tournament!!!

Reply #157320 | Report this post

datamaster  
Years ago

And just what are these opinions based on?

How many of these people giving opinions have actually been to these camps and have seen these players compete against each other?

Or actually know what the coaches are looking for?

Their performance at Natonal's is but one of the criteria.

Reply #157321 | Report this post

Questioning  
Years ago

what is the story with Moult? She wasn't named for the selection camp and isn't listed in the Gems squad,but is down for a scholarship.???

Reply #157361 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Victorian politics

Reply #157643 | Report this post

astor  
Years ago

Anon, you obviously haven't seen this kid play!

Reply #157661 | Report this post

amanda jones  
Years ago

Questioning
Moult is a super player and great kid and has come back from knee reconstruct. Pretty sure she was always headed for the AIS and probably would have already been there if not for the knee.

Anon if Vic were any good at politics there would be plenty more vics at the AIS and in the worlds squads. Well developed theory though.

Reply #157672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only accurate statement is politics, surnames and connections, you need at least one of these!

Reply #157673 | Report this post

astor  
Years ago

obviously got one big chip on you shoulder anon. you better get out and network more if you think that that's all it takes!

Reply #157895 | Report this post

amanda jones  
Years ago

come on Anon
Give us an N
Give us an A
Give us an M
Give us an E

then we will know what to deed poll to!

Reply #157903 | Report this post

Jim  
Years ago

Sounds as if Moult must be on OK player if the AIS are prepared to take her injured. When is she due back?

Reply #158096 | Report this post

Jim  
Years ago

Sounds as if Moult must be on OK player if the AIS are prepared to take her injured. When is she due back?

Reply #158097 | Report this post

the man mundine  
Years ago

What has happened to Shaun Bruce from Vic Country. I have seen and coached against him and i would of thought he would be in the top juniors in Australia. I would take him over Dick, Cadee and Daly as the bottom ages selected.

Reply #158932 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754