hoops04
Years ago

Southern Success???

Now that the Noarlunga Tigers/Southern Suns merger happened just over a year ago, I'm interested to hear your opinion on how successful it has been, from people within and outside the club?

Credit to certain people in the merger, and what could be/shouldn't be changed, for the better?

Topic #1337 | Report this topic

delicious  
Years ago

I'm from North so I don't really know but I really like the new uniforms! :)

Reply #15356 | Report this post

michael_r  
Years ago

The Southern boys program has definately benefited coz we've got a few new quality players in each age group. Under 10's is over flowing with kids, it's nice to see.

Reply #15358 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

My boy play's for the tigers and over the past year the atmosphere around the club have been great, next winter will be interesting I think all div's will go really well. so to other clubs watch out the TIGERS are back in town.

Reply #15399 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

the club has been doing much better than what it did before the merger. it is so much more organised and the money the club gets in goes back into the club with new training aides to help the kids improve.

Reply #15412 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I think Southern are progressing well but still 2 years away from being a Powerhouse. It seems development is improving and they are starting to gain better coaches but still have some oridinary groups on both boys and girls. I think their committee is definetly on the ball as leadership at the top is so important.

Reply #15417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, Noarlunga were awesome then fell in a hole when the likes of Becc Hemmings and Wes Knights took over the C.D.'s seat.
The merger, as far as I'm concerned, was the best and only way that the club could have gotten out of trouble!
But I agree, in 2 years time this club will be a serious force.
Don't underestimate the Tigers.

Reply #15421 | Report this post

hey  
Years ago

i was a bit sceptical at first because i had always hated the suns but i ust admitt that i think the merger was a giant step forward for the club and their money handeling is great. so much money has been put back into the cub and it is great to have some cool training gear. especially the ladders!

Reply #15457 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

The boys program seems to be well organised with Kim Jury leading the boys program. This guy has done it all and is a real people person. Coming from West/Sturt/SASI and coached under the likes of Glidon and Butler he shows good stamina as a coaching director the club has needed for many years.

Good young and experienced coaches looks like the boys will push a few of the "elite" clubs. As long as the tigers start to dominate other age levels other than the 18's there looks to be some promise.

But its sad at the state of affairs with the Girls program.

Jason Balfour has been in the club for ages. What qualifications does this guy have? Dont know, dont care.

You see this guy try and be a "god" like figure at training. He teaches his players a mish mash of transition drills, mixed with an assortment of yells and screams that you can see his players with obvious looks of disbelief or discouragement. He has a decent support cast with the likes of Steve Knight and other senior coaches that have to clean up basic skill inadequencies when the Tiger girls get to Under 18/16's.

He coaches the Under 14 girls, a super team - getting flogged by eagles 20 points friday and beaten several other times this year. This team is the best on paper (2 - 6 footers that can play) but these girls are going backward. Maybe they will get better? Hope so for the sake of the Tiger girls program, or they will end up loosing these girls to other clubs or even basketball.

Great Job boys!
Not for the Girls.

Reply #15479 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

I would have to agree with Andrew on this one. He has had some super teams and their fundamentals go backwards as the season goes on. This is not just with the current group of players but past playing groups over the years. Has he been in the position for too long? Look what Sturt do with their coaches and maybe Jason needs a change from the age group?

Reply #15521 | Report this post

Supporter  
Years ago

I wouldn't call Kinghorn a decent support cast for the junior program. That is funny. What was Jason thinking when he put a coach that has been sacked from two different clubs at senior level in juniors. I guess that he had no other option. BRING BACK STEVE KNIGHT! PLEASE! Being a Southern member I am really embarrassed with a small minority in the Club that post on here pretending to be different people and to cause friction in a club that is heading in the right direction. I do beleive Jason gets into he kids but he gets results. He might not win a lot of Championships but his groups are highly competitive. It is still early in the season and sometimes 'super' teams (as Andrew put it) need time to come together. Oh by the way, looked on Sportingpulse and got the ladders postions, Boys and girls positions below. Div 1s only.

10 Boys 3rd
10 Girls 3rd
12 Boys 3rd
12 Girls 3rd
14 Boys 8th
14 Girls 4th
16 Boys 7th
16 Girls 8th (Who coaches these?)
18 Girls 5th
18 Boys 5th
20 Men 2nd
21 Women 4th

And yes Jason has been at the Club for ages, he doesn't club hop like some. For instance Start at Sturt, go to Eastern, go to Southern then who nose? 2005? If you look at the standings I beleive the boys are slightly ahead because of the 20 men. So overall the girls arn't doing so bad, in fact the best for a while and overall are sitting fourth behind Sturt, North and Forestville.(Maybe Norwood would argue with that)

How about everybody worry about being a club and getting these kids as best a they can be. Coaching is not a popularity contest, it is about development and imporovement in kids. Keep working Jason, you more support than you think.

Reply #15523 | Report this post

Anon.  
Years ago

Reply #15535 | Report this post

Anon.  
Years ago

Rite,

What super teams has he had?

Reply #15536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about u all leave jason alone? I think he is a good infact great coach... i have never had him as a coach but to see what he has done with his team... great.. so just leave him alone ok!!! cheers

Reply #15537 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Please don't make the issues personal or let this thread dissolve into petty arguing as has happened with the other Southern topics. Please try to stay on topic.

Reply #15538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry i was just saying my opinion! ok back on topic people

Reply #15539 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The thing that is the most dangerous about the potential of Tigers is the committment and loyalty of the heirachy of the Club.

Most of the committee, including President, have not been at another club apart from the merged entities. I think this says a lot for the dedication of these people and the standard that it sets for the members and players.

It is people who stick with a Club through good times and bad that make it great and these people are sticking around so other clubs, beware.

Reply #15633 | Report this post

Punk  
Years ago

Supporter,
I think u need to re think ur bagging of the 16 div 1 girls. yes they are 8th on the ladder but friday nigth they beat forestville by 10ish who is in fact 3rd on the ladder. Please explain this? Either forestville have just played easy teams to make that spot or the 16 girls have potential to be a top 4 team. any comments??

Reply #15636 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Supporter. So you are putting Jason in a higher coaching regard as Ryan?

Reply #15637 | Report this post

Supporter  
Years ago

My last message because I'm not making this into a slanging match like some people on here want it to. 1The 16 girls played very well but I know Forestville were missing players and their coach.I was not bagging the girls, just their opinionated coach.I'm sure the Tiger girls could do very well this season. Rite, My answer to your question is Yes. What has Ryan done as a coach?Go Tigers!

Reply #15680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ryan hasnt done anything... he coached the abl girls last season and dint do anything with them.. i think the club has gone down the drain and there a few people i know of that are thinking about quitting!!

Reply #15769 | Report this post

Vicki  
Years ago

I'm getting so frustrated reading this post !!

This is really funny that grown men are on here competing against one another. It's pretty clear who u all are and quite frankly I'm laughing! I'm not going to say who I think u are or what ur intentions are but puh-lease....is it possible for people to separate their opinions from slagging off other people??? Especially when its unprovoked... Southern look bad enough on these forums because of all the petty arguements. Ur acting like Year 7 girls.

Being a good coach isn't and shouldn't be a competition...it's about doing what's best for your team. I think Balfour has it down pat, alot of girls (especially at that age) respond to that kind of coaching better, I say that from experience. I have to disagree with "Supporter" when u say Ryan is basically a crap coach. He knows how to bring out the best in alot of players. Give him a break. They're all different coaches and have their own techniques.

Yeah! Bring back Steve Knight!!! :)

Reply #15777 | Report this post

Ryan Kinghorn  
Years ago

After hearing all of this crap off line from people around the place I had to check it out.

Pathetic.

The Southern Tigers program is doing very well. Jason has a good program that is surrounded by several coaches who know what they are doing and have had success at State level and have won several state championships etc.

Steve Knight is back and working with some of the girls individually. Great coach, yes. Jason Balfour great coach, yes, Noel Robertson great coach, yes.
They are all different in their approach to the game, but at the end of it they are all there to develop the girls program.

Im not perfect and are always willing to learn to get better.

Get all your facts right before you start dribbling shit.

Reply #15853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Ryan!

Reply #15854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ryan i dont think people are dribbling shit, just saying their opinion! but well done and hope u have a win on the weekend!!!

Reply #15857 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754