Anonymous
Years ago

Wait until the Singapore game...then judge

All I see on this forum is "we can win without Maher". Well incase you didn't notice, we kicked ass on the weekend! Did anyone even watch that game because by the sounds of the things you are saying you must have missed it. "But Maher was playing and he dominated" I hear you say. Yeah but incase you didn't notice the other guys played very well also. Davidson was simply sensational, Mottram played awesome defence and Ballinger put up his routine 20 points. It was a brilliant team effort. See how the 36ers go against Singapore before you judge them, the team we saw play against NZ may well be a new Adelaide 36ers. If they get beaten in their next few games then you can crap on as much as you want about how much we suck but until then have some faith in your team!

Topic #13425 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah we beat New Zealand, and Singapore beat Perth on the weekend, so lets not get to beefed up about playing Singapore.

Reply #156481 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

then after the singapore game wait 4-6 weeks to see if we gel without brett maher then judge

Reply #156488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forget 4-6 weeks. Its next Sunday and that's it.

Reply #156491 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

... and did you not also notice that New Zealand played very, very badly ?! Penney and Jones were getting open - their shots just weren't dropping - Rickert was glued to the bench in the second half (when he was the only major big they had that was troubling us) ..

Reply #156494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets not get too carried away about NZ. It wasnt our defence that was that great as reported but rather the fact that NZ had been travelling so much (double header in melb, home to NZ to play bullets and then to Adelaide).

Their bad shooting % reflected lack of legs more than anything - and with all that they still hung around for most of game.

Reply #156495 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Lets be happy for the win. But there is still a long way to go!!! If we are going to improve, we have to win on the road

Reply #156500 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Another good sign for the team is the fact that they held NZ to just 11 points for the last quarter when Maher missed most of it. That is definitely something to take confidence from when entering the next weeks of games without him.

Reply #156523 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

correction - should read ... next 6 weeks of games..... I should learn to proof read a bit better.

Reply #156524 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Might be good for Maher to be out, force someone else to stand up maybe??

Oh shit i think i just said good for maher to be out....Never, anyone firgure out how to stop him retiring yet?

Reply #156527 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

I just re-read this thread, WHAT. The last games we lost on the road were considered not good enough, travelling isnt an excuse, everyone blamed it on Phil. Now here I read that the only reaosn we won is because New Zealand had to travel...Are you FREAKING kidding me.
One thing for us another for another team. Get your heads straight people, we beat New Zealand, regardless of whether they played badly it doesnt matter, we beat them. .Jjust like we lost on the road, it didnt matter if we played badly, we lost and everyone bagged the team for it. but when we win, ohh we still suck it was the other team that won it for us.

Reply #156528 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Maher, at his age should not be playing the minutes he does. The unfortunate thing is he is relied upon too much. This leads to an increased risk in injury and then when he is out, he is missed too much. His playing years may have been prolonged if everyone in the team pulled their weight.

Reply #156529 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

He said (on Ch.9) signed for 2 years, so would play that, then see.

NZ. a bit tired at the end of that game.
Anyways, I expected 36ers to win with Davidson,Maher and Ballinger firing.
And, would have expected them to win the next three games and to have won those 3 close games that we lost also with them fit.
Now hopefull, but not confident.

Reply #156533 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Skud, relax - one person mentioned NZ's successive road games.

EC, some of that last quarter was NZ running a full press and trying last gasp efforts to win - it was risky and it gave Adelaide easy baskets (remember Ballinger getting that easy, easy lay-up, for example). Their defensive efforts were more significant earlier in the game.

Reply #156542 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

well put skud... i agree. The forum has been full of "no excuses" about travelling and shots not dropping (chappell anyone) but as soon as we win we get told it was cos the other team were unlucky, travelling etc.

cant have it both ways people.

Reply #156649 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

me, quote post IDs of people doing that. I found one in this thread.

Reply #156669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac, there may only have been one person in this thread that said that but you can't possibly tell me that people saying "travel isn't an excuse" hasn't been all over this forum.

Reply #156712 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not disagreeing with that. What I'm saying is that blaming the schedule (or making any or many excuses for that matter) doesn't resonate well with fans, hence the popular complaint on here from vocal critics often concerning that.

Pick up one person for hypocrisy (anonymous earlier in this thread), fair enough, but I don't think it's been a popular claim that their backing up after the Bullets had a significant impact.

I have read every thread on this forum about and since that game against the Breakers, and can recall maybe two clear examples where their schedule was mentioned by fans. I listened to Lemanis' audio from that post-game to see if he made any excuses actually: didn't notice any.

Reply #156719 | Report this post

Hasbreath  
Years ago

Lets wait until after the grand Final to judge... hey?

(Use a heavy dose of sarcasim when reading this)

Reply #156953 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:29 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754