Melvin Corpuscle
Years ago

Pre-game anthem - Get the words right

Just wondering : Is it too much to expect that the person who sings the pre-game anthem get the words right ?! Do we need to resort to putting the words up on the screen again ?! C'mon, it should be second nature - have a bit of pride in your country !!

Topic #13430 | Report this topic

Sector 7G  
Years ago

While on the subject of things second rate - how ABOUT our anthem??!!

I say forget about it before games - in fact dump it altogether. Its a tedious dirge from an era long gone.

That's my 2 cents worth (sorry Kent)

Reply #156579 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

No Anthem when I was in Auckland a couple of weeks ago.

Reply #156618 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

dont let the anthem die.

Get over it people, most anthems are not inspiring it is what the people put into them. if your not inspired by the national anthem, then its your own fault, i stand and sing with pride every time and i feel the emotion..not because of the words or tune, because i love the country and the goodness within it.

Reply #156651 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Bring in Waltzing Matilda. I went down to the beach yesterday and did not see any "girt by sea". It was a bit windy though.

Reply #156659 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

waltzing matilda pffft

a dirge about a, loser, no hoper, criminal, (possibly a sheep shagger). A meaningless song.

and if you have trouble with "girt", what the hell does the term "youll come a waltzing matilda" mean to you?

Reply #156665 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Meaningless song to you? Others say the same about our national anthem but you're quick to jump on them.

Noticed relatives of those involved with the charge of the Light Horse Brigade singing Waltzing Matilda enthusiastically on Sixty Minutes the other night.

me, you really struggle sometimes.

Reply #156670 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

people know the words to waltzing matilda more so than the anthem, its a fact. why? cause its a uniquely australian song that has been around for donkeys years. how many people even know the 2nd verse to our anthem, i know one... ONE
its about time we got rid of our ties to the 'queen' and the commonwealth and become our own country finally, along with a new anthem.

Reply #156672 | Report this post

Fess's mates mate  
Years ago

I say bring back the girl who sits at reception on game nights,she does a great job.

Reply #156673 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Americans all know the words to Amazing Grace, but you don't see them rushing to change their anthem.

Reply #156681 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

dont feel like im struggling at all Isaac I stand by my opinion, the anthem is about whats inside you, If you dont feel pride when you sing it, thats your problem

In truth it may as well be matilda, but in 5 years someone will be saying its boring, offensive, old fashioned..something

as far as the 60 minutes people...just because lots of people know and like ben cousins and tens of thousands applaud him whe he plays the game, doesnt mean he is a good representation of it.

Other than being well known, popular and easy to sing what is so good about matilda?

1) The current anthem is more than 100 years old (classifies as donkeys in my book)

2)It has no reference to the queen.

3) its an anthem..we have no need for 2nd, 3rd, verses they are never going to be played or sung.

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil;
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Brings a tear to the eye.

Reply #156689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the best anthem so far was sung by the young girl during the gold coast game. Did a great job for a girl of such young age.

Reply #156698 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Waltzing Matilda is fine as a miscellaneous anthem (sports events etc) - but as a national anthem it has one big problem... It harks back to the criminal proclivities of some of our forefathers - but that proportion is steadily diminishing... What with something like 1 in 4 of us (moi included) not even born in Australia - Advance Australia fair is far more indicitive/inclusive of what we are - we ain't "the Anglo Isle in a sea of yellow" anymore...

Reply #156721 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

good call mate of the mate of mine,the girl at reception on game night does a great job.

Reply #156735 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Michelle gets my vote for her Anthem. Perfect performance : enthusiastic, great voice, and gets the words right !!

though all of this anthem talk pales in comparison to our woes on court ...

Reply #156782 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

me, second verse makes reference to the commonwealth "to make this commonwealth of our renown of (to?) all the lands" and by implication our ties with the queen.

FWIW I'm pretty strongly opposed to Waltzing Matilda, not really anthem material, tune's ok but the content isn't how I'd like the rest of the world to view us.

Reply #156785 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Billo - i think by Commonwealth they mean the Commonwealth of Australia... Not the Commonwealth as in the "Empire"...

Reply #156787 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Is it not only countries within the British Commonwealth that refer to themselves as the "Commonwealth of xxx"? For instance it's not the Commonwealth of the United States of America is it? No big deal either way.

Reply #156796 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

I just think it's not really used in the states - there is VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University - Charles Oakley's College) - but that is the only one i can think of... I think it's just a cultural thing...

Reply #156811 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Billo, yes the 2nd verse does have a reference, but as i mentioned..no-one ever sings the second verse so its not really relevant and believe me lol, if you go on to verses 3, 4, 5, (and the top secret 6th) there are many many lyrics that are incrediblty offensive to me personally. however the 1st verse is really the only relevant one, and i believe it talks of the great things about australia, of our youth, our freedom, our future, our natural beauty. as oppposed to matilda which has a much greater reference to our past and mostly in a negative sense.

AA Fair IMO is an anthem that does not segregate, does not denigrate and is positive for all,
however im a white middle class male...so... :)

Reply #156833 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

OK people, I want to settle this once and for all.. I think the following anthem strikes the right balance between those of you who want AAF, and those of you who want something that represents more of an "Aussie" song. Enjoy:

Reply #156854 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Make Men @ Work 'Down Under' the national anthem. It's something you can easily groove too. Lol!

Reply #167226 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:13 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754