Dana
Years ago

Court Wiper's need training

While on the subject of things being improved, it would be good if someone could teach the kids doing the jobs of court wipers what to do.
How many times have players landed on the court, the floor is wet, and the wipers are 'miles away' and take ages to do their job?

Topic #13438 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Ease up. Some of them are only 12 years old. In front of big crowds the pressure probably gets to them.......

Reply #156684 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I don't dispute that, but some seem very unsure of what to do. I wonder if they are actually taught?That's all.

Reply #156687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it really a big deal?

Reply #156705 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

There's 15 seconds of my life I'd like back again...

Reply #156706 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As I said in the other thread, if they're a bit half-arsed with their approach and someone slips and goes out for the season, then it could become a big deal pretty quickly.

Reply #156707 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

What made me say this is that in last week's game, a couple of players fell over in front of NZ's bench and then the ball went straight down the other end. The floor wasn't wiped, and I was dreading a fall when they got back to that end. Luckily nothing happened because they didn't run in that area.

I've watched games live & on TV, where the court wipers are so tuned in that they don't need to be called in by the refs or players, they just run out and do their jobs without the need to be asked, often with the game still going on down the other end.

Just thinking about player Safety.

Reply #156710 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac. I don't even mean anything like 'half-arsed'.
I was thinking more along the line that maybe they aren't sure what to do, being kids and all. I've seen the same thing at Lightning games.

Reply #156711 | Report this post

shirley schmidt  
Years ago

The lightning games are a bit different... I'm not sure those `bread head' kids can actually see what they are doing.

Reply #156734 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Call from some adult volunteers who would get out there as quick as a flash so there are no hold ups as there are now. Yes, most of those kids are quite young, but some of them are living on another planet. I really wonder what they have been told to do out there, ie what sort of training, if any, they have had.

Reply #156739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would hope that some of they have an idea about what they need to be doing. They're junior referees!!!

Reply #156744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would hope that some of they have an idea about what they need to be doing. They're junior referees!!!

Reply #156745 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

Dana i thought the same thing Sat night and have thought it before-it is dangerous and we need someone alert and proactive. if we could get the floor wipers right I personally am prepared to get off the backs of the coaches.

Reply #156753 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I remember early in the season, one of the floor wipers was so "busy" checking out the cheer girls doing their thing during the time out, that they did not hear or see the umpire calling them over to clean up an area.

Would be funny if it was not so true...

Reply #156761 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Ballinger Fan, that is a legitimate excuse my friend.

Reply #156764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the nbl is having enough trouble attracting kids, kicking them out of their only involvement for the sake of speedy sweat removal is surely a bit excessive

Reply #156768 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Saw Italy play at the Olypics in 2000, at one point a bearded Italian player (the beard's not really crucial to the story) actually grabbed the towel off the wiper and gave the court a thorough wiping himself. Crowd responded by giving him a big round of applause, which he in turn responded to by raising both his hands in the air like he'd just won a title fight. Celebrate the humanity.

Reply #156770 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

I prefer the floor wipers to be under the control of the refs, rather than deciding themselves when to wander onto the court in the middle of an NBL game.

If the court isn't safe, stop the game & fix the court. I don't want "bread head" in the key holding a mop when Erin is on a fast break!

Reply #156786 | Report this post

moe  
Years ago

The kids they get to do it are peanuts - no initiative or personality I'm afraid.

Reply #156819 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Wow DaddyO. with that concept in mind. The game would have to be stopped at every turnover, decent drive to the basket etc, after someone has hit the floor.

The best floor wipers I have seen are the ones that feel like they are part of the game. I have seen a referee as part of their pre-game duties get all the court wipers in together, explain how important their role is to game. That they need to get in there quick and get the court dry and that one goes in why the other one watches the play. That referee really G'd up the kids and made them feel really important. He even made sure he asked all their names, so during the game he could refer to them by name (not oih you).

To me, that was effective game management.

Reply #156826 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

What next? The dome rats need training?

Reply #156841 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

No way MW, they already have initiative, AND personality..

No training required.

Reply #156846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jokes and gibes aside, waiting for the floor to get wiped can also turn the momentum in a game. I have witnessed minutes wasted and players standing around while several attempts are made to get the job done.
Answer? maybe adults or older kids?

Reply #156848 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Why don't we just remove the hardwood from our game, and install astro turf.
Still gives an even bounce, and will absorb the sweat.

Reply #156863 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

DB5 - Did you have anything to do with the old court 3 at Morphett Vale by any chance?

Then again, who would own up to that!

Reply #156877 | Report this post

Spec  
Years ago

(Mod: Removed at author's request.)

Reply #156940 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

How long have you been in our country?

Reply #156967 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Did anyone see the Syndey game last night - they had two floor wipers that struggled for 5 mins to clean up with the assistance of the umpires pointing out the spots they missed.

Just curious - anyone know what they do in other leagues like the NBA?

Reply #156968 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ha Ha FM, sorry, cannot get me on that one..

Reply #156979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get that flanders kid from marion to do the mopping up!
He could get god in and let him mop it up for them... no need for floor wipers. Problem solved!!

Reply #157116 | Report this post

Jarrad  
Years ago

That deserves a basketball Sector7G.

Surely Spec is not for real. First he says the mops are to heavy then owns up to being 19 surely this guy has to cop it maybe he could enter Mr Puniverse.

That post by Spec just cracks me up.

I can't believe there has been so many posts on this topic.

Its wiping sweat from the floor for god's sake its not rocket science surely any 14 or 15 year old who has a basic understanding of the game of basketball and is not unconscious could manage it.

Reply #157175 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably nerves and a matter of the sweat being difficult to see at most angles. Could just be that a bit of training wouldn't go astray? Noticed the Breakers floor wipers in the game on Thursday - they had two at each end for moral support! - seemed to be motivated and quick to get out there.

Reply #157200 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754