Anonymous
Years ago

Strong new coach rumor

Coming out of the eastern seaboard is the rumor that Ian Stacker will be replacing Smyth at years end.
This is coming from circles inside the NBL.
If this is true is this the right fit?
With Newley maybe back and Ingles in the past saying he would love to play for him, maybe this is the thought process.
I dont think it would be the worst decision in the world, have Ninnis as assistant, could be a good fit.

Topic #13440 | Report this topic

Skud  
Years ago

I think Ninnis would deserve the step up to coach, and the way Adelaide brought him intot he clb this year would be surprised if hes not given the position IF its up for grabs.

Reply #156718 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

heard the same about stacker as well, would think he would firm as it , scott would be a good assistant to him, just on scott does he want a head coaching gig ?

Reply #156723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know much at all about Stacker as a coach? Would people approve if he were to get the job?

Reply #156725 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think there'd be a few critics out there. Was considered to have underachieved in Townsville a couple of times? Dealt with him briefly through work and found him decent enough to deal with for what that's worth (but then, I'd say the same about Seamus McPeake and he has his opposition too!).

Reply #156727 | Report this post

Isiah Thomas  
Years ago

Approve? I think you could do alot worse, I mean by no means is he some big coaching catch if we got him.

He does have a proven track record in the league and has shown the ability to develop and nurture young talent, something the Sixers will need to be doing in a year or 2 when Maher hangs them up.

Reply #156728 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

He certainly wouldn't sit on his hands and wait for something to happen . Be a good fit and would shake things up a little which is what we need .
If the rumours have some credence then MR.MVP would be the man in the know .

Reply #156730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stacker rumours have circulated before and I seem to remeber everyone saying then that they would hate it if he got the job?

Reply #156732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is Ninnis considered a better assistant coach than Sapwell (assuming Brehenny would go if Smyth goes)

Reply #156736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No offence to Sapwell but it has been proven on many times that he is not a coach. Just cos you were a good player doesnt qualify you to be one. Ninnis has cut his teeth in different programs so would be much better.
Think you would find whoever got it, Sapwell would be gone.

Reply #156738 | Report this post

boom boom  
Years ago

Nice one guys heard that Stacker offered himself to the 36ers and Hawks promising Newley in the deal with him only problem was Newley didnt know about it.When i asked him about it he said it was crap he never said he would play where Stacker coached.I guess some guys will do anything to get a job including lying.Ingles also told me he would definately play for Phil and he had nothing to do with him going to Dragons,At least get your facts right and stop with the same old lies just because you dont like Smyth.

Reply #156740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ninnis has cut his teeth in different programs so would be much better".

You are kidding - Townsville did not make the playoffs, Staker Fired, yes great first year out of Adelaide. Dragons pick Heal over Ninnis then bring in Molley over the top of Ninnis then show him the door at the end of the season (not saying this was great move but it did happen) then was not offered assistants job in Adelaide that went to Sapwell. Then join the lighting and we know what happen.

Hardly a great resume. Yes was second assistant in Adealide but had no say in any thing and yes did have a great playing career.

So what would make him a great choice ???

Reply #156741 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh Stacker is in the Eastern States saylng it cos he wants the job thats where your rumour started.Lets get him ,sacked at Townsville, no one has anything good to say about him either as sponsors or players that played for him or guys that worked with him.In fact get him get rid of Mal and bring Sanders back with Stacker that way the Club will be finished in less than a year.Smyth is a good coach you guys just dont like him good luck getting someone better hope you sack him and we can get him up here.

Reply #156743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boom Boom u tool.

Ingles would never play for Phil - not even in an exhibition game.

Reply #156749 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

You my pal are the tool cos Ingles has told heaps of people he would play for Phil as usual you have no facts.Sad little person that you are find a real reason dont make stuff up if you dont like Smyth.

Reply #156750 | Report this post

joe ingles fan  
Years ago

Yes it is true Joe has also told me he would play for Smyth in fact he told me he really likes him and was greatful for the time and chances he gave him back here when he was back from the A.I.S. He also said Phil took him on the Pt.Lincoln camp and he really learnt a lot so anoymous you are very wrong.

Reply #156752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incorrect both of u

Reply #156756 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Incorrect all of you -

Ingles has said it was his dream to play at the Dragons for his childhood idol - Shane Heal.........well didnt they all?

But really who give a fat rats what he supposedly said and who too - he IS at the Dragons and he IS playing well. Lets hope he continues to develop at the same rate he has been recently and gets to play at as high a level as possible

Reply #156759 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FYI: anonymous and joe ingles fan - same IP.

Reply #156784 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

hahaha i remember when i did that... ahh good times.

Reply #156791 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

(ROFL) Nice work Isaac ;-)

Reply #156845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re Ninnis (anonymous 156741):

Crocs - Had no input into choice of team.
Would have cut a couple of players early if he had chance. Ingles most likely would have been in Townsville the next year had Ninnis still been there.

Dragons - who said Dragons chose Heal? Heal got in Cowan's ear and chose himself and brought in Malloy.
After Ninnis probably had a major role in securing Ingles and Holmes.

Sixers - Did not want 2nd assistant job. Been there done that. What part does Sapper play? How much is he paid? Does he travel with the team.

Lightning - Did not seek this position. Only agreed after several approaches. Resigned, not sacked and probably could have had the top job if he had not been loyal to Lucas

Reply #156853 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Would be interested to hear IF Sapwell is getting paid. I didn't exactly hear great things about the manner in which the 36ers handled their last 2nd assistant (KB).

Reply #156856 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I declare my conflict as a long term supporter of Phil, however...the big question still remains, is there a better option avaiable?

Reply #156890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rumours surfacing about Stacker are probably because he'd be in management's ear trying to weasel his way in.

One of the biggest backstabbers in the NBL. Know I wouldn't want to play for him.

Reply #156896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stacker ninnis arsego clarke.

do you reckon wsydney sat on their hands wondering about other options that were better thah bruton and watkins?

Reply #156898 | Report this post

annom  
Years ago

wouldnt suprise me though stacker saying anything to get a job. Stacker is not the answer for the 36ers.

Reply #156903 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:45 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754